Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

sticker wrote: »
    Many thanks for the help - much appreciated. You are right, the one upgrade I am trying to get is the scope upgrade to see abilities, so I just keep doing missions, and the level will rise when I grab more and more guys?

I don't need to do anything? The game will level me up to new items and upgrades after acquiring more guys and materials with auto assigned to areas set on?

Thanks!

Since you can't view soldier's abilities yet, just fulton everyone, and they'll be auto-assigned according to their skill level. The game will periodically tell you "Support Team has levelled up (Lvl.6)" or similar. Once your teams levels increase it'll tell you that you can then unlock/upgrade new items/weapons. You can then choose which ones to upgrade yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Penn wrote: »
    Since you can't view soldier's abilities yet, just fulton everyone, and they'll be auto-assigned according to their skill level. The game will periodically tell you "Support Team has levelled up (Lvl.6)" or similar. Once your teams levels increase it'll tell you that you can then unlock/upgrade new items/weapons. You can then choose which ones to upgrade yourself.

Thanks!

Pity I can't get gear through Fulton at this stage. Is it early in the game to attain vehicles and weaponry by fulton?

faceman wrote: »
    You will eventually get that time anyway so don't worry. Early in the game Fulton everyone anyway as you need the people

Ok Will do! - thanks

One last thing, if I complete a mission but kinda botch it, can I re take it again at a later point or is the game missions linked so you cannot go back?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

One last thing, if I complete a mission but kinda botch it, can I re take it again at a later point or is the game missions linked so you cannot go back?

Can replay almost all missions (this will annoy you later ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

You can replay missions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads is the gameplay in this any different than GZ?

Fakman87 wrote: »

Core gameplay itself is pretty much identical, as GZ was a prologue rather than a prequel. But MGSV gives a huge amount more items/weapons and ways to approach missions due to the open world, as well as a bunch of extra features etc that weren't in GZ.

Penn wrote: »
    Core gameplay itself is pretty much identical, as GZ was a prologue rather than a prequel. But MGSV gives a huge amount more items/weapons and ways to approach missions due to the open world, as well as a bunch of extra features etc that weren't in GZ.

I just started GZ today and I'm struggling now that soldiers can see beyond their usual cones :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The learning curve is far better in Phantom Pain.

• Advertisement

The learning curve is far better in Phantom Pain.

Glad to hear it. I usually love stealth games but I suck so far at this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Glad to hear it. I usually love stealth games but I suck so far at this one.

If you have reflex mode on just be a bit braver and move between cover. Keep crouched and watch out for search lights. Always do night infiltrations to make it easier and try to mark as many enemies as you can from a vantage point before you make your move.

I just love the Fulton system in this game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Got into an awesome firefight at night in the game last night. I counted 12 soldiers firing at me from across a bridge. But I was determined to tranq them all as there was a good few high stat soldiers in the mix. It took ages but between a combo of the sniper darts, the standard dart gun and a well times sandstorm, I made progress. The sleeping my bodies were piling up on top of each other.

It was down to one last man and I casually got in closer, took aim with my pistol and just as I fired - he lobbed a grenade which dropped at his feet.

Yep, when it exploded it killed EVERYONE I had put the effort in to knocking out.

Oh I do love this game! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Unless it was a mission, I think I'd have just said f*ck it and ordered in a sleeping gas dispersal :D

The one hilarious and annoying quirk I've found is when guards decide to get themselves killed which then causes an alert. So far I've seen them walk out in front of moving vehicles and get run over. Walking onto their own directional mines. The best one was when they killed some prisoners during a mission and then the gunfire / dead bodies which they JUST CAUSED THEMSELVES caused them to go on alert mode. I couldn't help but laugh watching it. The guy that shot the prisoners in the face was then really surprised by the fact there was a dead body.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ha, usually that sort of thing would annoy me in a game, but for some reason it just adds to the surreal cartoon world MG exists in. I had a weird incident involving a guard on patrol discovering a body I left out in the open. Everyone went on alert and they search around for me, then gave up and went back on patrol only to discover the same body and go on alert again.

Got into an awesome firefight at night in the game last night. I counted 12 soldiers firing at me from across a bridge. But I was determined to tranq them all as there was a good few high stat soldiers in the mix. It took ages but between a combo of the sniper darts, the standard dart gun and a well times sandstorm, I made progress. The sleeping my bodies were piling up on top of each other.

It was down to one last man and I casually got in closer, took aim with my pistol and just as I fired - he lobbed a grenade which dropped at his feet.

Yep, when it exploded it killed EVERYONE I had put the effort in to knocking out.

Had similar enough last night doing one of the Tank Unit side missions. Found a guy with great stats. Sneaking up behind him, tank saw me (thought I was far enough away that it wouldn't).

Tank fired at me and killed the guy I wanted to fulton :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Funniest moment for me was one driver who kept calling HQ looking for his truck......it was 10 feet behind him, he just wouldnt turn around. And I mean, he called it in and as soon as he put his radio down he picked it up and called it in again, that radioman on the other end must have been getting pissed off.

This went on for 10 minutes until I fultoned his truck and shot him in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Twice now I has used the shotgun to blast a enemy into a the mountain landscape, they literally disappear.

I'm starting to get a bit rougher with MB staff. Last night before Pequod landed, I threw down a smoke grenade, CQC'd the 4 soldiers standing there, kicked them to wake them all up, then shot them point blank with a stun shotgun.

I can see now how Big Boss became truly evil :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Got spotted sneaking around in my cardboard box earlier and laughed out loud when the guards radioed in that a box was moving and got told to "knock it off" by the commander :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I really want to love this game but finding it so hard to get into it.

Granted I've not even done 10 main missions yet, but thats a sign in of itself that I haven't felt enticed to spend hours playing. It's so repetitive so far.

Few questions: is there any point in aiming for high mission ranks? I've been getting mostly B's and C's. When I try for the super stealthy approach for the high ranks I nearly always screw up near the end and descend into a firefight. Is there any real incentive to avoid this or retry for better ranks? (other than personal satisfaction?)

Also the whole mother base feels beyond tedious to me. I'm just generally pressing R3 or whatever the button is to auto assign people to different departments. Is this what most people do? Also I can't seem to get rid of the dot next to peoples names? Game is obviously telling me to do something but I can't see what.

Moving around the map takes ages too with calling the chopper, waiting for it, getting on, then having to wait for the doors to close, choose where I want to land, wait to travel there etc. etc. Wish I could just choose a spot on the map, get the chopper to pick me up and take me straight there. Takes ages to do anything in this game.

All missions are almost identical so far. I really enjoy getting into the action, sneaking around taking people out but I wish it all didnt feel so samey.

I want to love this but I'm starting to feel bored :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You guys need to be creative with your trolling of the AI.

Put decoys beside mines on the mine clearing side ops, make a noise then just watch and Trolololol.

Granted I've not even done 10 main missions yet, but thats a sign in of itself that I haven't felt enticed to spend hours playing. It's so repetitive so far.

Few questions: is there any point in aiming for high mission ranks? I've been getting mostly B's and C's. When I try for the super stealthy approach for the high ranks I nearly always screw up near the end and descend into a firefight. Is there any real incentive to avoid this or retry for better ranks? (other than personal satisfaction?)

Also the whole mother base feels beyond tedious to me. I'm just generally pressing R3 or whatever the button is to auto assign people to different departments. Is this what most people do? Also I can't seem to get rid of the dot next to peoples names? Game is obviously telling me to do something but I can't see what.

Moving around the map takes ages too with calling the chopper, waiting for it, getting on, then having to wait for the doors to close, choose where I want to land, wait to travel there etc. etc. Wish I could just choose a spot on the map, get the chopper to pick me up and take me straight there. Takes ages to do anything in this game.

All missions are almost identical so far. I really enjoy getting into the action, sneaking around taking people out but I wish it all didnt feel so samey.

Yeah sounds like this game isn't for you which Is a shame cos it's a great game. What kind of games do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The actual game is fairly sh*te. So my advice is to stop trying to play through it and piddle about with what it gives you.

Take aaronh007's post above. You do things and get unexpected results. Instead of just trying to take out all the guards, try playing with them by leading them into traps or just generally f*ck with them. As you unlock more research items, you'll get more toys to use to screw with them.

The enemy snipers in the game are right nasty fcukers. Death to them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Got spotted sneaking around in my cardboard box earlier and laughed out loud when the guards radioed in that a box was moving and got told to "knock it off" by the commander :pac:

There's actually a couple of ways this can go, which makes it all the more hilarious.

Another alternative is the guy ignores CP and goes to check out the box himself. If he does this and you abandon the box, so you're not caught - he'll radio in that it was just a box. CP then tells him to schedule a psych evaluation :pac:

Here's another I hadn't seen before too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You guys need to be creative with your trolling of the AI.

Put decoys beside mines on the mine clearing side ops, make a noise then just watch and Trolololol.

I've just taken this advice, and sweet god I can't stop laughing... they just wander right into the minefield without a care in the world :D
    There's actually a couple of ways this can go, which makes it all the more hilarious.

Another alternative is the guy ignores CP and goes to check out the box himself. If he does this and you abandon the box, so you're not caught - he'll radio in that it was just a box. CP then tells him to schedule a psych evaluation :pac:

Here's another I hadn't seen before too

Haha! Thats brilliant! And tbh, if I heard the same radio message, I would have told him to schedule a psych evaluation or even see the optician myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You're not alone there. The first two S ranks I ever spotted in the wild killed themselves with nades. They know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Finally bought it yesterday after forcing myself to wait till payday, in work this morning and all I can think of is when im gonna get to play next and im only 4 hours in......

Advertisement