Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Links234 wrote: »
    I would've prefered a mix of both, there was quite a few fairly essential plot related things thrown into the casettes that would've been much better served being placed into cutscenes.

Oh yeah, they definitely didn't get the balance right, but I think it still works well, especially since with the tapes, you can stop listening and then re-listen whenever you want. With the long-ass codec calls of old, you were usually afraid to skip them in case they got interesting in the end, and you didn't know if the conversation would ever come back up again.

Anyway, turns out I'm an idiot (I know, I was as shocked as you are now when I realised it). Upgraded my tranq pistol to Grade 5 last night but was wondering why it didn't have the infinite suppressor like it was supposed to have. Turns out, even though I'd bought upgrades 3, 4 and 5, I'd never equipped them because I was using a custom version of the pistol, so it was still Grade 2. Tranq. Pistol is absolutely boss now though, as are the upgraded sleep grenades. Took out an outpost with 8 added heavy infantry guys (so about 15 guys total) using just 3 sleep grenades, and one active decoy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Penn wrote: »
    Took out an outpost with 8 added heavy infantry guys (so about 15 guys total) using just 3 sleep grenades, and one active decoy :cool:

Pfft, one charge of the stun arm would've sorted all that for ya ;)

Pfft, one charge of the stun arm would've sorted all that for ya ;)

Has it been figured out what the range on that is? Have used it a few times alright, but nearly always miss a few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Finally unlocked Quiet to use on missions and finding her fairly useless so far. On a main mission yesterday she didn't bother her backside to follow me to the mission zone so I was without her until I called in helicopter pick up!

I also find she's a little trigger happy. Perhaps she's more useful when you unlock the tranq sniper. I've had to repeat a couple of side ops where she shot the targets I've been trying to rescue! Sometimes sneaking up on an enemy triggers reflex, sometimes it doesn't.

Also I echo what was said about the Codec. Definitely the weakes codec of all the games. I'm god knows how many hours into the game so I don't need the codec giving me beginner tips, especially when I'm already on a mission!

Still loving the game. The moment I realised by fluke I could Fulton tanks was a rather joyous occasion!

faceman wrote: »
    Finally unlocked Quiet to use on missions and finding her fairly useless so far. On a main mission yesterday she didn't bother her backside to follow me to the mission zone so I was without her until I called in helicopter pick up!

If you open your iDroid to the map and press Up/Down on the D-pad, you can set Quiet to scout an outpost (she'll mark all the enemies etc that she can see), or set her to be ready to attack from a vantage point (particularly useful if it's an area without a nearby outpost).

But yeah, if someone spots you and reflex mode kicks in, she'll shoot. Don't think there's any way to stop her from doing that, but if you keep using her (maybe try side-missions where it doesn't matter if she shoots to kill), you'll unlock the tranq rifle for her quick enough.

Still think she's the best buddy in the game. Between marking, cover fire and simultaneous tranq shots, she's a perfect all rounder.

• Advertisement

Has it been figured out what the range on that is? Have used it a few times alright, but nearly always miss a few.
    45 meters ;)
    faceman wrote: »

I didn't like her as a buddy at first because the game did a bad job showing you how to use her, you need to open up your map and press down, and you've got Quiet (Scout) and Quiet (Attack). Scout will get her to zip round an outpost and mark enemies and prisoners for you, and attack in spite of the name doesn't actually command her to attack, but rather sends her to a vantage point to attack from. You need to raise your bond with her a bit, but once you know how to use her she's great. And yeah, unlocking the tranq rifle is a must if you don't want her blowing the brains out of enemies you want to fulton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

gotta control Quiet via the map screen really (can get her to scout areas, or move her between overlook spots)

you're a little bit spoiled having ddog first though imo - he's completely OP :p

Still think she's the best buddy in the game. Between marking, cover fire and simultaneous tranq shots, she's a perfect all rounder.

D-Dog with the fulton ability! :D

Best all rounder is probably D-Walker, you got the mobility of the horse, and once it's been upgraded enough it can cover you, it even gets a fulton cannon (!) but it's insane on the deployment costs. So I normally stick with dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finally got around to finishing the game today, I must say though it is far from perfect and it ended up being quite underwhelming, I would of had the game finished quicker if it was not for all the time spent sitting in the helicopter and watching credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

D-Dog with the fulton ability! :D

Best all rounder is probably D-Walker, you got the mobility of the horse, and once it's been upgraded enough it can cover you, it even gets a fulton cannon (!) but it's insane on the deployment costs. So I normally stick with dog.

GMP is not really an issue late-game when you're in the position to sell processed precious metal and biological material. I personally never run out of either and they're used for very little in development. The only real resource that's valuable is flame fuel.

• Advertisement

GMP is not really an issue late-game when you're in the position to sell processed precious metal and biological material. I personally never run out of either and they're used for very little in development. The only real resource that's valuable is flame fuel.

Sure, if you're mid-game then deploying with D-Walker can be quite a strain. Still, once you've got the GMP that it's not a bother and you have decent upgrades, D-Walker is ridicous, by far the best to take on side-ops. Going from outpost to outpost, have DW scout and spot some S rank guy you want, *BAM* Fulton cannon to the face! :pac:

Yeah, it's ridiculous how much Fuel is needed to upgrade MB compared to the other resources.

Oh by the way, I know some people seem to hate D-Walker, so I thought I'd give a quick rundown on how to get the best out of it. First of all, if you want to move fast you need to hold down the X button (or equivalent), because otherwise you'll start to skid and veer off as you slow down. Some seem to think the contols for it are wonky, but it's just the case that you need to hold down the button. Then the optimal loadout (I think, anyway) is the scouting head, silenced pistols, and fulton ballista. Then you're set for every encounter bar taking out heavily armored puppets or Boss... the enemy gunship.

Makes the tank/armored vehicle side OPs a walk in the park, get near enough to have D-Walker scout and find some higher ground, then just aim your fulton cannon and you got yourself some free tanks and mission complete! It's got some ridiculous range, and even more ridiculously, enemy troops don't even seem to notice their tank vworping away into a wormhole. :pac:

X button (or equivalent)

Cryptic :P X on keyboard, xbox X which is 1 button, PS X which is 3 button. You and your filthy gamepads :pac:

I think as far as side ops go, I only have a few Wandering Puppet ones, two Tank units, and the Target Practice ones on MB.

Would have liked to have seen more variation in the side ops. Rather than 15 of each type of mission, give us a few missions that take use of the variety of weapons available in the game, like take out an outpost only using sleep mines, or ones where you can only use CQC and a cardboard box.

I know you can set those challenges for yourself by just doing it, but there's just a lack of variety in the side ops, whereby excluding the special gold ones, there's only about 9 or 10 different types of missions.

I was just thinking how much of a shame it is that motherbase is so empty. They could've had R&D with an armory room so you can see all the weapons you've developed and maybe even see the development area as they're being developed by staff. Combat platform should've had a target practice... actual target practice not that mini game of shooting around MB with non-lethal.

Intel platform could've had a cutscene selector and a more visual way of showing all the cassete tapes you've ammassed.

Base development should've just showed the progress of materials processing.

What a waste. The whole thing is just so pointless in many ways. It'd make close to no difference if they just left MB only in menus like PW. But even that had
    a boss fight on the platform
    and a practice room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Finished chapter one last night. Some thoughts, and obvious spoilers
    Was all a bit meh in the end. The battle with the metal gear was slightly underwhelming and a bit too easy. I started in the tank and knocked off a good half of its health in that. The rust attack was kind of cool in how it wrecked the tank, so then I was on foot. I just ran around a rock formation in the middle of the map, never felt threatened or like I was going to die and finished him off relatively easily.

The reason given for fighting and destroying it was that if the world new of its existence then skull face would have won. The literally 5 minutes after beating it, its obviously being set up to be repaired. What happened to the world will end craic?

Prior to the fight too, the elimination of the man on fire was an absolute load of ****e. One of the few actually menacing characters in the game goes out with a whimper. Pathetic stuff.

The scene with skull face was also so clumsy it was ridiculous. Huey standing over him shouting "REVENGE". We get, revenge is the theme. All it was missing was flashing neon signs and a kids picture book.

I'm really not feeling the motivation to go on with the remixed mission. Its a shame because the actual mechanics of this game are excellent, but it all descends into grindy, repeat the same task type gameplay. I was getting that feeling from the side ops, but the remixed "main missions" really drives it home and leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth if I'm honest.

Its probably not very clear from all that but I did enjoy the game enormously. IT had some great ideas and well executed mechanics. But the clumsy and quite frankly stupid story, coupled with the repetitive missions means it fell short of a 10/10 for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was just thinking how much of a shame it is that motherbase is so empty. They could've had R&D with an armory room so you can see all the weapons you've developed and maybe even see the development area as they're being developed by staff. Combat platform should've had a target practice... actual target practice not that mini game of shooting around MB with non-lethal.

Intel platform could've had a cutscene selector and a more visual way of showing all the cassete tapes you've ammassed.

Base development should've just showed the progress of materials processing.

What a waste. The whole thing is just so pointless in many ways. It'd make close to no difference if they just left MB only in menus like PW. But even that had
    a boss fight on the platform
    and a practice room.

Great ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Xenji wrote: »
    Finally got around to finishing the game today, I must say though it is far from perfect and it ended up being quite underwhelming, I would of had the game finished quicker if it was not for all the time spent sitting in the helicopter and watching credits.

Why were you watching credits? Just press X to skip them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mission 29 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Mission 29 :mad:
    Just bring D Walker and have the Gatling Gun equipped, tears them to pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

bit of a d-walkover iirc :p

You know, I absolutely love this game, but I am frustrated as hell with it at the same time.

Gameplay wise, it is hands down one of the most enjoyable experiences ever, it's just so much fun. If I was scoring it up, I'd give it a 9/10 for gameplay, but a 5/10 for story.

Let me start by saying, I can certainly understand why it got rave reviews, the initial impression the game gives is incredible, the opening sequence is going to be downright memorable as hell. The first foray into Afghanistan is terrific, that first encounter with the skulls is incredibly tense, the boss battle with Quiet is amazing, building up Motherbase gives you a fantastic sense of progression, and taking D-Dog out for the first time is so much fun. The game gives a downright incredible first impression. But the cracks start to show and by the end it's apparent this is a very, very unfinished game. The biggest issue with gameplay is just how repetitive everything is, missions and side-ops consist entirely of kill or extract a target or targets, with little variation. The game slaps you in the face when main missions start becoming repeats of previous ones on a higher difficulty instead of you know, actual content. I keep coming back to comparing it with Ground Zeroes. For such a small game set on a tiny military base, there was a lot more variety in how you could approach things and even then you didn't have access to the sheer variety of fun things like the cardboard box, fulton, decoys and other gadgets, and that's not to mention variety in Ground Zeroes' side-ops.

The one where you have to make contact with guy by signaling him with the searchlight and retrieve the tape, or the one where you've got to go in loud via chopper and rescue Kojima, or where you have to destroy the anti-air encampments, there's nothing really like that in The Phantom Pain, not even in the main story missions. They also could've really done with a few more scripted missions in unique locations to break up the open-world monotony, because the absolute standout missions by far were the opening, and Shining Lights, Even In Death. Hell, after that particular mission I could've easily seen a main mission similar to the Raiden side-op in Ground Zeroes where we kill infected soldiers but leave others unharmed, the plotline was crying out for it. But we get just a variation on the same kill or extract some dudes or sometimes a tank or two, with a handful of story missions inbetween, some of which are inexplicably moved to the side ops list.

Which brings me to the story, or lack thereof.
    How on earth did they manage to make Ocelot so downright bland? And why the complete lack of any storyline with him, how does he end up friends with Big Boss? Not to mention the lack of closure with Eli & Co. In the end, my favourite character by far was Quiet, she's the only one who seemed to have any decent characterization, but even at that her fate feels like a loose thread. I knew the story was meant to be a disappointment, but I didn't think it would be this bad...

Please don't take this as bashing the game, because I seriously love it, I've put 115 hours into it and enjoyed the hell out of it, and I'm sure I'll get way more out of it. It's just fallen so far short of what could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Which brings me to the story, or lack thereof.
    How on earth did they manage to make Ocelot so downright bland? And why the complete lack of any storyline with him, how does he end up friends with Big Boss?

I don't think it's a spoiler really/ Completely agree on Ocelot. I've no idea what Kojima was thinking when writing for him for this game. He's just an exposition machine. It really makes no sense how he goes from the Ocelot we see in MGS3 to this to the one from 1-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Dear lord the RAGE.

Spent a good hour on stupid ******* mother-f*ckin'-base completing those utterly pointless target practice side ops on the end of the infuriatingly, unnecessarily long platforms. Collected all the stupid diamonds on each platform. The pointless, repetitive, unchallenging target shooting was bad enough, but after I'd finished all but one of them, and with about 10 targets left on the last course, stupid character teetered off the edge of a walkway to his demise when. A little annoying, my mistake, until I find THAT THERE IS NO ******* AUTOSAVE AFTER COMPLETING A SIDE OP. All that effort erased in a flash.
    WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K.

There are so many sh*tty design choices in this game. Don't think I'll be able to play it again for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont think the game is finished and the fallout is the end of AAA games at Konami and Kojima walking away.

100% Nintendo/Sony/MSFT will throw bags of money at Kojima to make something AAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I dont think the game is finished and the fallout is the end of AAA games at Konami and Kojima walking away.

100% Nintendo/Sony/MSFT will throw bags of money at Kojima to make something AAA.

It's would be nice to see the mgs franchise rights being bought to boot. It's a series that still has a good story to tell I feel especially without all the nonsense background noise that distracted from mgsv as a finished product.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

nullzero wrote: »
    It's would be nice to see the mgs franchise rights being bought to boot. It's a series that still has a good story to tell I feel especially without all the nonsense background noise that distracted from mgsv as a finished product.

Kojima is a terrible story teller though. The plot makes next to no sense. I've played all the games start to finish and still only have a rough grasp of whats going on. For a game that is relies heavily on story telling that is just not good enough.

Kojima is a terrible story teller though. The plot makes next to no sense. I've played all the games start to finish and still only have a rough grasp of whats going on. For a game that is relies heavily on story telling that is just not good enough.

This. Completely agree. Silent Hill is the same with more bad twists than an M. Night Shylamanamadingdong movie.

Although I like the games. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

But metal gear does make sense. Granted its convoluted to **** and kinda bull****, but it does make sense, long as you remember 'its a video game' etc.

Advertisement