Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Can you just ignore the FOB stuff? Really couldn't be arsed setting up defences and equipping soldiers with gear.

Also, are attacks on your base a regular thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

J. Marston wrote: »
    Can you just ignore the FOB stuff? Really couldn't be arsed setting up defences and equipping soldiers with gear.

Also, are attacks on your base a regular thing?

Bar setting it up, I've done nothing to mine. Haven't invaded or been invaded either. Maybe just lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Penn wrote: »
    Bar setting it up, I've done nothing to mine. Haven't invaded or been invaded either. Maybe just lucky.
    Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I think I've gotten to 2 platforms per department/section for the FOB, its helped me amass more staff than I would get from motherbase alone and have only been invaded once... invader died, but not before he stole 9 of my men :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I completed Mission 31 earlier today and it was amazing. I have fallen in love with this game again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I completed Mission 31 earlier today and it was amazing. I have fallen in love with this game again :)

Sahelanthropus was it? Game goes downhill from there I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

So, I finished it last night...

...it took a while for me to realise that it was over. I actually Googled to see if I'd just completed the final mission or not. I was surprised to see that the plot with
    Eli stealing Sahelanthropus
    was left unresolved, until I'd found out that it had been cut during development.

To be honest, the whole thing has just left a hollow feeling in me. The story had a few powerful moments
    (such as the Quarantine mission, and Huey calling out Boss on his inhumanity)
    and they had so much potential for developing the plot, but they were just wasted. In the end, Boss acts heroic and noble and everything is all right? Bollocks to that.

I was really curious to see
    the split developing between Miller and Ocelot, since one aligned with Solid Snake and the others with Liquid Snake,
    but all that we really saw of that was just a post-credits bit of audio. Again, so much potential just wasted.

And then I started to wonder about some of the other things, like Mother Base and gathering plants and increasing GMP and extracting personnel. And I thought, "Why bother?" After that ending, the whole thing just seemed pointless.
    The Floating Boy just disappeared along with Eli, the Man on Fire was squashed by Sahelanthropus, apparently. Skull Face had some gripe against English or something? Cipher is still as strong as ever?

I think that what I'm trying to say is that there's no sense of achievement at the end of it all. The gameplay is the most fun I've had in ages, but finishing MGS V was about as satisfying as finishing a game of Solitare. The original Metal Gear Solid had an amazing final battle, the exciting fistfight and escape, and a terrific ending. One where you felt like what you'd been through meant something. It was satisfying. But MGS V... I don't see myself playing through it again anytime soon.

tl;dr - Metal Gear Solid V = Solitare
    And my God, Hideo Kojima had a cameo in his own game?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Started this yesterday, great intro but went downhill after that for me and Im only on mission 11 / 12, going by other peoples posts it wont get much better.

I guess I should have known maybe it wouldnt be for me after playing ground zeroes the missions seem to be the same and I dont feel so far that the story is progessing at all. I also dont understand the need for credits for every mission...

Really cant understand where all the 9 or 10 / 10 reviews came from.

I think I prefer MGS of old like MGS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Done with this now after that quarantine nonsense. Pain in the hole.

Definitely the weakest MGS game for me.

My favourites in order would be 3, 1, 4, 2..........................................................................................5.

I miss Quiet...
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Its weird looking at the critic reviews and the user scores. A lot of user scores averaging at about 8-8.5. But the critic scores are 9.5/10.
    I think the user score is much more accurate, the game is ok, but its by no means a masterpiece. And if the Last of Us and Uncharted is the marker for a 10, then this certainly is not!
    This will prob win game of the year, but it shouldn't!

Links234 wrote: »
    I miss Quiet...
    :(
    I was pre-warned about her leaving and about how to keep her (by using the butterfly emblem). Once I finished all the side missions (bar the target practice) and main missions (bar the replay ones), decided it was time to let her go. Have to say, while I have big problems with the story overall, Quiet's story from beginning to end isn't one of them. I thought it was fantastically well done and one of the best parts of the game.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Done with this now after that quarantine nonsense. Pain in the hole.

Definitely the weakest MGS game for me.

My favourites in order would be 3, 1, 4, 2..........................................................................................5.

I'm probably 3, 1, 5, 2, 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Its weird looking at the critic reviews and the user scores. A lot of user scores averaging at about 8-8.5. But the critic scores are 9.5/10.
    I think the user score is much more accurate, the game is ok, but its by no means a masterpiece. And if the Last of Us and Uncharted is the marker for a 10, then this certainly is not!
    This will prob win game of the year, but it shouldn't!

I think I'm in the minority but I'd rate Last of Us a 7.5. Same for Unchartered.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

faceman wrote: »
    I think I'm in the minority but I'd rate Last of Us a 7.5. Same for Unchartered.

That's interesting!
    So would you add more weight to the gameplay for a title rather than the actual story?

I was pre-warned about her leaving and about how to keep her (by using the butterfly emblem). Once I finished all the side missions (bar the target practice) and main missions (bar the replay ones), decided it was time to let her go. Have to say, while I have big problems with the story overall, Quiet's story from beginning to end isn't one of them. I thought it was fantastically well done and one of the best parts of the game.
    Absolutely. Considering she was basically walking fanservice for the most part, she ended up being by far my favourite character, and her leaving was a serious kick in the guts, it was heartbreaking. It's such a crying shame how bland every other character turned out, and how utterly boring as hell Ocelot was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DeclanRe wrote: »
    That's interesting!
    So would you add more weight to the gameplay for a title rather than the actual story?

Yeah I definitely. It's all gameplay for me. I wasn't always like that but MGS 2 was the reason I gave up on story.

Even Skyrim which had me glued, I had no idea who was who but it didn't really matter.

At the end of the day I want to play, not watch. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

While I agree Quiet's story arc is easily the best in the game, there's some major plot holes in the end of her story that p*ssed me off.

First of all, when Venom Snake is guarding her from the approaching snake and he throws his arm in front of Quiet to protect her, being bitten in the process. Dude has a bionic arm and he offers the snake his remaining flesh and bones arm to take a chunk out of it, and this guy has been made to believe he's the legendary big boss?Gimme a break.

Secondly, when Quiet is forced to speak in English on the radio to Pequoud. This is one of the very few instances where Code Talker could have stopped talking absolute sh*te on the cassette tapes and made himself useful by acting as interpreter here. Code Talker is on your radio at the start of this mission telling you the truth about Quiet, so he hasn't strayed far or anything. We know he can speak Navajo with Quiet, so where's the old fart gone?The one time you actually need him.

So yeah, that irritated me.

While I agree Quiet's story arc is easily the best in the game, there's some major plot holes in the end of her story that p*ssed me off.

First of all, when Venom Snake is guarding her from the approaching snake and he throws his arm in front of Quiet to protect her, being bitten in the process. Dude has a bionic arm and he offers the snake his remaining flesh and bones arm to take a chunk out of it, and this guy has been made to believe he's the legendary big boss?Gimme a break.

Secondly, when Quiet is forced to speak in English on the radio to Pequoud. This is one of the very few instances where Code Talker could have stopped talking absolute sh*te on the cassette tapes and made himself useful by acting as interpreter here. Code Talker is on your radio at the start of this mission telling you the truth about Quiet, so he hasn't strayed far or anything. We know he can speak Navajo with Quiet, so where's the old fart gone?The one time you actually need him.

So yeah, that irritated me.
    He didn't offer his non-bionic arm, that's the side the snake was on. He couldn't reach it with his bionic arm and keep Quiet... err... quiet... at the same time. He didn't offer his arm, the snake could have easily bitten him on the leg. He was simply trying to stop the snake any way he could, while also keeping Quiet quiet.

As for Quiet contacting Pequod, because of the sandstorm, no one from Mother Base could be contacted on the iDroid, so Code Talker couldn't have translated. They could only contact Pequod because he was close to them. Plus, given the extra time it would have taken to translate using Code Talker as a go-between (shown by how Quiet had to say stuff like "Quick, turn left"), plus how slowly Code Talker speaks, there simply wasn't time.

Hey I'm not saying it was perfectly done, but it was very well done imo and given the rest of the game, could definitely have been done a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Where is MGO on the Xbox store? I'm in college and I'm trying to find it on the website to download to my Xbox so that it's done when I get home.

Correct me if I'm doing it wrong....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I assumed it would be part of the patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

There is a game data download for MGO on the PSN store, separate to the MGSV patch.

Not sure how it's done on XBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just read you can now buy insurance for your FOB with MB Coins (real moola)...... Pay real money for insurance for things you can buy in game with real money..........:pac:

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I just read you can now buy insurance for your FOB with MB Coins (real moola)...... Pay real money for insurance for things you can buy in game with real money..........:pac:

I'm guessing the uptake on buying extra FOBs has been almost non-existent. Looks like now they're trying to find new ways for people to spend MB Coins.

Hell if they'd let you buy resources with them, I definitely would have used the free MB coins from Daily Rewards I've gotten. Need fuel. Need fuel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

MGO seems pretty good. I keep forgetting this is third person and just because thre character is facing away from me doesn't mean I haven't been seen.

Oh hell that is bullplop. :eek:

I think I'm just gonna finish up that last side op (God damn R&D Platform shooting gallery, I HATE YOU!) and be more or less done with it. I've not tried any of the FOB incursion stuff yet, I might give it a go before packing it in. This was a seriously fun game, but at over 130 hours now I think I've exhausted it.

Links234 wrote: »
    Oh hell that is bullplop. :eek:

I think I'm just gonna finish up that last side op (God damn R&D Platform shooting gallery, I HATE YOU!) and be more or less done with it. I've not tried any of the FOB incursion stuff yet, I might give it a go before packing it in. This was a seriously fun game, but at over 130 hours now I think I've exhausted it.

Yeah I'm at the same stage myself. Not that fussed with MGO either though will likely give it a try. But to be honest I've spent too much time on the game so far already that I'm actually enjoying doing other things, like rewatching Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Has anyone tried MGO?

I want to hear about it since I can't play it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm gonna give it a go in a bit. Might respark my interest in the game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Need fuel. Need fuel bad.

I wanted to start developing nuclear weapons and the only thing I was short on was fuel :mad:

Advertisement