Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Because boobs suddenly don't exist as soon as dudes start fighting? Why are people so triggered by nudity? What atmosphere are they detracting from? The atmosphere of a world where women don't exist, or where nudity or just exposed skin don't exist?

The atmosphere of a supposedly tense and heated war zone. You don't see many GI Janes running around with their knockers out in combat situations. I have no problem what so ever with nudity etc but it is a bit out of place in the setting of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The atmosphere of a supposedly tense and heated war zone. You don't see many GI Janes running around with their knockers out in combat situations. I have no problem what so ever with nudity etc but it is a bit out of place in the setting of this game.

You also don't see eye-patched white guys with mullets riding metal gear into battle to balloon everyone into heaven, either. If tits are the breaking point on what you think is something of a military simulator then I honestly think you're just uncomfortable with nudity. Your argument seems to be an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

or attaching a balloon to a KO's soldier and watching him float away is part of the MGS charm.

That actually real. It's called the Foulton Recovery system and was used alot by the US and RAF from WW2 up to the mid '90s. It was only used for extracting people though, not jeeps and equipment. The balloon carries a cable up for an aircraft to catch though in the MGS universe it a chopper and can't really work as the blades would cut the cable before it could be snagged.

^ Indeed. I played Peace Walker and it was used ridiculously there first. FR is actually one of my big complaints about this game I posted about a while ago. Not in realism it's just I still can't believe that anti-air units don't prevent it or that there isn't at least a few minute delay between each recovery.

You also don't see eye-patched white guys with mullets riding metal gear into battle to balloon everyone into heaven, either. If tits are the breaking point on what you think is something of a military simulator then I honestly think you're just uncomfortable with nudity. Your argument seems to be an excuse.

Ah yes, the internet stranger who knows me better than I know myself. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

• Advertisement

it's just I still can't believe that anti-air units don't prevent it or that there isn't at least a few minute delay between each recovery.

I know what you mean. They did show in one video recently of a soldier spotting the balloon and shot it preventing the lift.

^ Yeah but that's actually a really frustrating way for the issue to be handled. A cooldown for the FR would make more sense and would lead to less messing up on the players part and anti-air would add a whole layer to the player's strategy. I mean, being careful about who you knock out, when, where and how is a crucial part of the stealth. Having that become null with FR is something I'm quite worried about for the final release.

Cooldown, limited use (commodity item), functioning counter-measures would all be perfect ways to fix this in my opinion.

Moving on from that, though. From all the demo videos I've seen it's obvious they have god mode on because snake could take way too much damage without dying. Which leads me to wonder what kind of damage system is in the final version? Is it the wolverine healing system? I forget how it worked in GZ. I think it would be amazing to, after having an intense battle, be forced to extract because you've got too little HP left to confidently approach another situation. By forced I mean by your own logical decision making... not actually the game taking you out which would be bloody terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

^ Indeed. I played Peace Walker and it was used ridiculously there first. FR is actually one of my big complaints about this game I posted about a while ago. Not in realism it's just I still can't believe that anti-air units don't prevent it or that there isn't at least a few minute delay between each recovery.

It's a gameplay mechanic. Nothing more. It's no more ridiculous than the Codec system from the other games. It stimulates your eardrum so only you can hear it? Makes sense. However, how the f*ck can Snake/Raiden/Big Boss talk into it and not have any enemies hear? How can he essentially pause the enemies/bosses to have a long chat with his command team?

I really don't see why people get hung up about such minor things. It's a gameplay mechanic that they offered a reasonable enough explanation for provided you don't think about it too much, which you shouldn't.

Bad Horse wrote: »
    It's a gameplay mechanic. Nothing more. It's no more ridiculous than the Codec system from the other games. It stimulates your eardrum so only you can hear it? Makes sense. However, how the f*ck can Snake/Raiden/Big Boss talk into it and not have any enemies hear? How can he essentially pause the enemies/bosses to have a long chat with his command team?

I really don't see why people get hung up about such minor things. It's a gameplay mechanic that they offered a reasonable enough explanation for provided you don't think about it too much, which you shouldn't.

^ But I am judging it as a gameplay mechanic. What's the issue? It's effecting the stealth and difficulty as well as how you approach different situations. I'm asking for cooldowns and use limitations purely on its effect on gameplay, not because I'm thinking too much into it. If that was the case I'd be arguing it shouldn't exist because it's completely unrealistic which is not something I want since they've designed their acquisition of resources almost entirely around it and it's not inherently a bad system. Which is why it's not a 'minor thing'.

^ But I am judging it as a gameplay mechanic. What's the issue? It's effecting the stealth and difficulty as well as how you approach different situations. I'm asking for cooldowns and use limitations purely on its effect on gameplay, not because I'm thinking too much into it. If that was the case I'd be arguing it shouldn't exist because it's completely unrealistic which is not something I want since they've designed their acquisition of resources almost entirely around it and it's not inherently a bad system. Which is why it's not a 'minor thing'.

It does have limitations though. If another enemy is near, they'll shoot it down, or it'll at least put them on alert. You might not always have a 100% chance of it working based on various circumstances (how awake the guard is etc). You also have to buy them. I don't know if there's a limit to how many you can carry but recent gameplay trailers show him carrying about 12 or so. It also costs money to extract things, so heavier things (vehicles, containers) cost more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

I honestly think you're just uncomfortable with nudity

Aye it probably has nothing to do with the chick in the bikini faffing around a warzone. :pac:

Though I think it's pretty clear now that it ties into her abilities. Plus Kojima admitted to pandering to cosplayers with the design. And then there's the whole Quiet=Chico thing... personally after playing MGS games for over a decade, it doesn't bother me. It's certainly not generic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

You're going to have to extract hundreds of soldiers to build Mother Base back up. Having to hump each one to an extraction point and then put them on a helicopter would get old pretty quick. I'm kind of hoping for a fulton launcher to make things easier still.

Anyway, they say on gameplay demos that the fultons can be shot down if used in populated areas.

I hope this game does not ship with any serious bugs or issues as it looks like this game will never be patched or updated as Kojima Productions is closing it's doors and disbanding as soon as the game ships. Thats the online element of the game knackered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I hope this game does not ship with any serious bugs or issues as it looks like this game will never be patched or updated as Kojima Productions is closing it's doors and disbanding as soon as the game ships. Thats the online element of the game knackered anyway.

****, you're right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's crazy to think about. What does the future hold for the series? I haven't been all up on the issues that arose recently with Kojima.

I heard the news about Kojima Pro but never even considered patches/online. Man, that could be a serious kicker.

L.A. were the ones working on multi, have they been disbanded too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Konami are after removing all Kojima branding from Phantom Pain cover.
    http://www.destructoid.com/konami-removes-all-kojima-branding-from-mgsv-phantom-pain-cover-295977.phtml
    Original
    metal_gear_5_original-620x.jpg
    New
    metal_gear_5_updated-620x.jpg

Jesus that's very petty, the guy still made the game. What exactly happened there anyway? Seems to be a serious case of toys out of the pram going on.

Konami are after removing all Kojima branding from Phantom Pain cover.

They did it a few weeks ago (well, the 'A Hideo Kojima Game' part, maybe not the logo) and then due to outcry by fans, put his name back on it. Now they're taking it off again?

That's insane.

Man, I'd love to be a multi-lingual fly on the wall for some of those meetings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I was actually looking forward to Metal Gear Online play :(

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

As wright said MGO is being looked after by the LA studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

As much as I love MGS series for the sotryline, MGS3 and MGS4 spoiled me with MGO, and if MGS5 wouldn't have MGO, I probably wouldn't be buying it :/
    MGO is best hardcore shooter,for hardcore players. Steep but rewarding learning curve.MGO really separated noobs from serious gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

To be honest I'm more disappointed in the cover itself.. very bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

tok9 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm more disappointed in the cover itself.. very bland.

I love their old style covers (always reminded me of final fantasy :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Will this be the last Metal Gear Solid game following Big Boss/Solid Snake or will they squeeze in something in the timeline between Phantom Pain & Metal Gear?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Will this be the last Metal Gear Solid game following Big Boss/Solid Snake or will they squeeze in something in the timeline between Phantom Pain & Metal Gear?

It's almost definitely Kojima's last game, particularly given the breakup of KojimaPro and Konami. After that, who knows. I think Konami have said they're still going to develop more Metal Gear games, but given their shift out of major AAA game production, f*ck only knows what type of games they'll make.

Stuff like Metal Gear Rising probably.

As wright said MGO is being looked after by the LA studio.

I wonder if they'll also patch SP and finalise the PC port too... or were they closed too? If not I can see them taking the reins on any future MGS. MGS: Of duty incoming...

callaway92 wrote: »

Doesn't matter, anything after this is not Kojima so I won't be playing.

Oh and it should be Big Boss/Grey Fox ;P Solid is like 9 years old in this. And blonde haha.

• Advertisement

Stuff like Metal Gear Rising probably.

Anything they can shove full of DLC & Season Passes, I reckon. Content/Story will be secondary to that.

Advertisement