Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I started Chapter 2 there last week but a fcuk load of missions are repeating except with harder difficulties. Is this the way it going to be for the rest of the game????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

I started Chapter 2 there last week but a fcuk load of missions are repeating except with harder difficulties. Is this the way it going to be for the rest of the game????

There are numerous repeated missions and then some new story missions that will come up, for each new mission that comes up you'll get around two old missions on different difficulties.
    You don't have to do the repeated (new-difficulty) missions to unlock the extra story missions that will come up. Doing side-ops helps, the yellow tinted ones are required for certain cut scenes. Do them, then return to the chopper and you'll be told to return to mother base and get cut-scenes that progress the story and in turn unlock new story missions. Repeating older missions can sometimes trigger this too if the side-ops aren't helping. I'm not entirely positive how many or which ones are needed to unlock them. I just remember repeating the
    base defence
    mission to trigger them when nothing was doing and that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Anyone care how tell me how beat mission 42. Tried it a few times and got riddled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

brady12 wrote: »
    Anyone care how tell me how beat mission 42. Tried it a few times and got riddled
    Research the semi automatic .50 cal. rifle for Snake and Quiet's anti-tank rifle. Then go the roof of the hangar near the crashed helicopter, the ladder is on right near the back, and concentrate on one skull at a time.

Or have fully upgrade minigun for D-Walker and tear through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Traded this game in - F**k it. Its an absolute mess story wise. Yes the gameplay is good, but I'm sick of clearing out outposts. Got to chapter two and had no desire to continue. I don't know how so many critics gave it a 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭billox

Is the game pretty much done after mission 43 don't really have any interest in grinding out the other main mission replays

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

billox wrote: »
    Is the game pretty much done after mission 43 don't really have any interest in grinding out the other main mission replays

You don't have to do the replays. I wish I could somehow put this on huge letters on the game's title screen or something, because I see so many people online having trouble with this part of the game. See http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/235544/do-you-have-to-do-the-extreme-missions. You can just do side missions or replay older story missions to pass time and make the next missions trigger.

I don't blame you though, the implementation of chapter 2 is a mess. It's obvious the hard mode replays were added late in development to pad out the game. And of course you would think that main missions were needed to progress, like they were up to that point.

Have you done 45 and 46? They are the only new missions after 43.

Evade wrote: »
    Have you done 45 and 46? They are the only new missions after 43.

No i haven't unlocked them as of yet I've just been wandering about i don't have any side missions that are yellow to be completed so its getting kinda boring just completing the same side missions over and over again

MrMorooka wrote: »
    You don't have to do the replays. I wish I could somehow put this on huge letters on the game's title screen or something, because I see so many people online having trouble with this part of the game. See http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/235544/do-you-have-to-do-the-extreme-missions. You can just do side missions or replay older story missions to pass time and make the next missions trigger.

I don't blame you though, the implementation of chapter 2 is a mess. It's obvious the hard mode replays were added late in development to pad out the game. And of course you would think that main missions were needed to progress, like they were up to that point.

Is there anything you have to do to trigger the later missions or just wait it out...

Ya i thought it was great idea at first as it completely surprised me but now it seems like a bit of a choreand has completely put me off the game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The only redeeming feature of this game is the gameplay, thats it.

Missions are repetitive, storyline is weak at best, characters are boring and I had no interest or investment in any of them, dialogue is terrible and part 2 is a rushed mess, just a lazy mish mash of missions that were shoe horned in to pad the game out.

I just hit chapter 2 last night. Agree with a lot of the criticism if that was it in terms of
    Skull Face
    then this game is worse than I initially though.

The gameplay mechanics are 100% AAA rock solid, but how the story is implemented is shocking bad. I loved the MB aspect of peace walker and recruiting through fulton and they even took the fun out of that.

It's like Kojima saw all the open world games we have now and said ok me too, people will say you have loads of options to approach the missions but lets face it we all have 1 approach here , stealth. ZZZ them and fulton, the game actually requires you to do this for the MB element. I think there was only one mission at this point outside of bosses who were also sh1t ... actually there wern't many... where I wasn't using the silenced pistol I started with to ZZZ guards.

This the 1st time in a long long time that I have taken so long to get this far in a AAA I got on release day, any one who knows me will tell you what an achievement / completionist I am and this just makes me want to cut my loses at this point :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's difficult to know what people want from video games. MGSV was rushed to market by Konami, it is an unfinished game yet it is still brilliant albeit not as brilliant as it could or should have been. Had the game been a linear story driven experience people would be crying out for an open world experience. Had the story been at the forefront with long winded cutscenes people would berate it and complain that the story should be secondary to game play.
    The amount of people bemoaning this game here after stating how great the gameplay is boggles the mind. Had the game received lower review scores you do have people championing the game online for its positive features, that's human nature(I preferred that band before they were successful).
    Yes elements of MGSV are repetitive, but pretty much all games are. Do you expect to start playing a military stealth game and by the end of the campaign find yourself playing a completely different genre?
    MGSV got OTT review scores because it is a well made game (even though elements are comprised on thanks to Konami) and because itis the end of a series that pushed gaming in ways few other series have in the hhistory of the industry. People expected a perfect game but there is no such thing, boo hoo to all the people who got a well polished game with layers upon layers of depth to discover instead of some gaming unicorn that does not and never will exist. Yes this game is unfinished, but even in that state it is a wonderful game.

Glazers Out!

No i haven't unlocked them as of yet I've just been wandering about i don't have any side missions that are yellow to be completed so its getting kinda boring just completing the same side missions over and over again
    Make sure you've listened to any yellow tapes and have a high bond with Quiet to unlock the last missions. You might have to do some more side ops in until the last missions trigger.

Make sure you've listened to any yellow tapes and have a high bond with Quiet to unlock the last missions. You might have to do some more side ops in until the last missions trigger.

I have listened to every tape that I have so def not that anyway plus have full bond with Quiet so I suppose I'll just have to keep on going with the side missions... I think this would of been so much better if they didn't bother with chapter 2

I have listened to every tape that I have so def not that anyway plus have full bond with Quiet so I suppose I'll just have to keep on going with the side missions... I think this would of been so much better if they didn't bother with chapter 2
    Going to Motherbase can trigger the last missions too. Have you seen all 11 scenes through the door on the medical platform? They're not required for the last missions but they're worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGlitchKing

looks like it's ps4 time

nullzero wrote: »
    Had the game been a linear story driven experience people would be crying out for an open world experience. Had the story been at the forefront with long winded cutscenes people would berate it and complain that the story should be secondary to game play. .

That's the thing about MGSV. If you're just a regular gamer, you will probably love it. But if you are an MGS fan, the story was more important to you than the gameplay, and you will be incredibly disappointed to see how neutered the story of this game is. I for one would not complain about having more cutscenes. It's better than the exact same go to x and extract y mission that is literally the entire game. Once I got an silenced tranq rifle about mission 15ish, the entire game became a cycle of sneaking through an outpost, tranqing or CQCing enemies and extracting them, then returning to the chopper. Over and over again. Doesn't matter if the mission is to eliminate a commander or destroy a tank unit, you are always best served by sneaking in and extracting the targets instead since then they can contribute to Diamond Dogs, or give you bonus GMP and Heroism to build up DD again.

Don't tell me "oh, that's just how you choose to play" - there is no incentive to ever kill anybody since it is always a better choice to extract them instead to build up Diamond Dogs. No incentive to blow up tanks etc, you can extract them too. It's how the game is designed, if you are killing people you are not playing optimally. In a game that was sold to us as being about revenge, dark themes, men becoming demons, where the main character is modeled after a devil, I can't remember the last time I actually killed anyone. I don't even take any lethal weaponry in my loadout. In the story, Venom literally does nothing wrong, he is always the better man and I can't think of a single thing he does that is even a grey area.
    I think this works though given his true identity, but the problem is that should have been worked into the story more. I like the twist, but it comes out of nowhere and is never explored(except retrospectively in the Paz scenes, which shows the medic's guilt and is the only bit of good characterisation for him in the game). It could have been used to provide insight into why Venom is different to Big Boss, why he is so silent and pliable(he is probably very confused but Kaz and Ocelot have a plan for him and keep him busy, so he kind of naturally falls into the role they have for him). Explore the ideas that he is a better man than Big Boss, he threw himself in front of a bomb to save him with a moment's hesitation, it is somewhat implied he agreed to to brainwashing to become his phantom. His actions in the game show him to be an honorable man. While in PW Big Boss threatens the child soldier Chico and inducts him into his army, in Phantom Pain Venom is rescuing children and trying to teach them to read and write. But none of this is explored in the game, you have to speculate about it.
    Tonally, the game is a total mess, and it is a bitter disappointment to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes elements of MGSV are repetitive, but pretty much all games are. Do you expect to start playing a military stealth game and by the end of the campaign find yourself playing a completely different genre?

No I don't expect it to become a completely different game, but I would like it to not waste my time.

I'm on mission 23 and have put in around 30 hours so far. Even at a comparatively early stage the game has suffered from significant amounts of bloat. Many of the side-ops are interchangeable ('rescue the prisoner 8' pretty much gives that away), but even within the main missions there's a clear dividing line between the filler 'extract the target' missions and the more unique, novel missions that offer a fresh take on the mechanics and world (sadly the former seem more common). Put it this way: would MGSV be a substantially lesser game if it had, say, half (or even a third) the amount of content it has? I'd put forward it would probably be a considerably stronger game for it, and hardly a insubstantial one either. I also reckon it would have allowed Kojima to explore the themes and characters in a considerably more coherent manner.

But this isn't an MGS problem alone. Not too long ago there were many complaints about the brevity of many single player games (ironically, you could hold up MGS4 as an example of that). IMO there has been an over-correction. Too many AAA titles are now bloated beyond belief. At worst it results in shallow nonsense like Ubisoft-style collectathons, but even stronger titles like The Witcher 3 can feel like part-time jobs for a few months to make a serious dent in. There'll always be a place for epic, sprawling games, but as open world titles become more and more prevalent they're beginning to seem like the rule, not the exception.

The quantity over quality approach IMO disrespects our time. Yes MGSV has some fascinating, deep systems and is the most satisfying game in the series mechanically speaking. But there's simply so much of it that breeds complacency and mere boredom, rarely offering situations that encourage the player to think outside the (cardboard) box, or that demand a re-evaluation of the rules you already know. This is not say these revelatory, surprising moments don't exist in MGSV, but they're diluted amid so much 'stuff'.

There's nothing better than a game that doesn't outstay its welcome. Mario games are famed for this - refusing to let good ideas become routine, and almost always eager to surprise from one level to the next. It's amazing the way Nintendo are so eager to disregard brilliant, inspired ideas pretty much immediately because they have another two dozen they want you to see too. In a sense MGSV is the opposite. Yes the core gameplay is compulsive, intelligent and full of nuance. But the structure of the game, so demanding on the player's time and regularly undeserving of such demands, often does its best to disguise that fact.

I'll also say that I am a believer that there is more to come in the game, that the FOB system and nuke creation and disarmament by players on there is part of a process that will unlock some new content(at the very least the datamined cutscenes we've seen, but I am expecting a small DLC). Unfortunately the server launch has been a mess so there are probably delays. But that doesn't change the base game, unless there is some kind of massive patch that changes the entire game, the whole thing is just a mess, repetitive, awful story with so many contrived scenarios and subtle-as-a-hammer thematic handling - seriously, did anyone watching the 2015 E3 trailer expect that the way the game would treat the theme of language would be with magic ****ing parasites?

• Advertisement

Going to Motherbase can trigger the last missions too. Have you seen all 11 scenes through the door on the medical platform? They're not required for the last missions but they're worth seeing.

What door do you mean??.....never mind i found it thanks....still can't get the thing to trigger though pretty close to giving up soon

What door do you mean??
    The one one the top balcony overlooking the target practice start point. It has a blue light over it.

Put it this way: would MGSV be a substantially lesser game if it had, say, half (or even a third) the amount of content it has? I'd put forward it would probably be a considerably stronger game for it, and hardly a insubstantial one either. I also reckon it would have allowed Kojima to explore the themes and characters in a considerably more coherent manner ...
    But there's simply so much of it that breeds complacency and mere boredom, rarely offering situations that encourage the player to think outside the (cardboard) box, or that demand a re-evaluation of the rules you already know. This is not say these revelatory, surprising moments don't exist in MGSV, but they're diluted amid so much 'stuff'.

Exactly. I never wanted an MGS game to be a 40 hour experience(which is what it was for me to get to the true ending). People bring up Peace Walker, but that was only about 20 hours at most to get the true ending. TPP is just too long, and I don't see why it had to be that way. That's the problem, the whole fundamental concept of the game is broken, an open world MGS game was in retrospect a bad idea from a story and plotting perspective in my opinion. But I suppose MGS has survived as long as it has by adapting and changing and reinventing itself, so it was only natural that it would adapt the model that AAA games are now in 2015, and unfortunately this time it didn't work. It really is a product of its time, unfinished, microtransactions, pointless open world, bad online launch and all. It really does reflect the industry as it is right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

can you actually do anything in the advanced weapons lab? doesnt appear to be anything to interact with any time I go there, and cant initiate a conversation with whats his face

Wossack wrote: »
    can you actually do anything in the advanced weapons lab? doesnt appear to be anything to interact with any time I go there, and cant initiate a conversation with whats his face

Nope, it's another unfinished part of the game. Eventually(with more story completion) he will complete the weapon and then you can use it in some Combat Deployments(i.e you yourself can't use it or see it in combat). No reason to visit the lab, the game will take you there automatically when something happens.

Herself summed this up brilliantly earlier when she was playing it as I couldn't be bothered. "Oh it's just like peace walker except you have to do everything"

Like what a total pain in the rear it is not to be able to go directly to a mission/sideop from MB. You have to call the chopper then sit in the f'n thing till it flys away and you are able to deploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No I don't expect it to become a completely different game, but I would like it to not waste my time.

I'm on mission 23 and have put in around 30 hours so far. Even at a comparatively early stage the game has suffered from significant amounts of bloat. Many of the side-ops are interchangeable ('rescue the prisoner 8' pretty much gives that away), but even within the main missions there's a clear dividing line between the filler 'extract the target' missions and the more unique, novel missions that offer a fresh take on the mechanics and world (sadly the former seem more common). Put it this way: would MGSV be a substantially lesser game if it had, say, half (or even a third) the amount of content it has? I'd put forward it would probably be a considerably stronger game for it, and hardly a insubstantial one either. I also reckon it would have allowed Kojima to explore the themes and characters in a considerably more coherent manner.

But this isn't an MGS problem alone. Not too long ago there were many complaints about the brevity of many single player games (ironically, you could hold up MGS4 as an example of that). IMO there has been an over-correction. Too many AAA titles are now bloated beyond belief. At worst it results in shallow nonsense like Ubisoft-style collectathons, but even stronger titles like The Witcher 3 can feel like part-time jobs for a few months to make a serious dent in. There'll always be a place for epic, sprawling games, but as open world titles become more and more prevalent they're beginning to seem like the rule, not the exception.

The quantity over quality approach IMO disrespects our time. Yes MGSV has some fascinating, deep systems and is the most satisfying game in the series mechanically speaking. But there's simply so much of it that breeds complacency and mere boredom, rarely offering situations that encourage the player to think outside the (cardboard) box, or that demand a re-evaluation of the rules you already know. This is not say these revelatory, surprising moments don't exist in MGSV, but they're diluted amid so much 'stuff'.

There's nothing better than a game that doesn't outstay its welcome. Mario games are famed for this - refusing to let good ideas become routine, and almost always eager to surprise from one level to the next. It's amazing the way Nintendo are so eager to disregard brilliant, inspired ideas pretty much immediately because they have another two dozen they want you to see too. In a sense MGSV is the opposite. Yes the core gameplay is compulsive, intelligent and full of nuance. But the structure of the game, so demanding on the player's time and regularly undeserving of such demands, often does its best to disguise that fact.

I agree to an extent, there is too much faffing around in the game but this is a result of how the industry is. Kojima made an epic post modern game that examined society as a whole through a complex plot that assumed the player was of above average intellect in MGS2 and he got panned for it. Each iteration of the series since then has seen Kojima compromise in one way or another and with MGSV he has sacrificed the game he wanted to produce to satisfy Konami and their need to rush the game out. All criticisms of MGSV need to be seen in the context of this situation with Konami as it is unfinished hence the repetition in the game play. As for all the people complaining about needing to be on board the ACC to start missions; games have used these kind of set ups to disguise loading times for years and that basically the only logical reason for that feature, after all open world maps are being loaded in the background.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

MrMorooka wrote: »
    That's the thing about MGSV. If you're just a regular gamer, you will probably love it. But if you are an MGS fan, the story was more important to you than the gameplay, and you will be incredibly disappointed to see how neutered the story of this game is. I for one would not complain about having more cutscenes. It's better than the exact same go to x and extract y mission that is literally the entire game. Once I got an silenced tranq rifle about mission 15ish, the entire game became a cycle of sneaking through an outpost, tranqing or CQCing enemies and extracting them, then returning to the chopper. Over and over again. Doesn't matter if the mission is to eliminate a commander or destroy a tank unit, you are always best served by sneaking in and extracting the targets instead since then they can contribute to Diamond Dogs, or give you bonus GMP and Heroism to build up DD again.

Don't tell me "oh, that's just how you choose to play" - there is no incentive to ever kill anybody since it is always a better choice to extract them instead to build up Diamond Dogs. No incentive to blow up tanks etc, you can extract them too. It's how the game is designed, if you are killing people you are not playing optimally. In a game that was sold to us as being about revenge, dark themes, men becoming demons, where the main character is modeled after a devil, I can't remember the last time I actually killed anyone. I don't even take any lethal weaponry in my loadout. In the story, Venom literally does nothing wrong, he is always the better man and I can't think of a single thing he does that is even a grey area.
    I think this works though given his true identity, but the problem is that should have been worked into the story more. I like the twist, but it comes out of nowhere and is never explored(except retrospectively in the Paz scenes, which shows the medic's guilt and is the only bit of good characterisation for him in the game). It could have been used to provide insight into why Venom is different to Big Boss, why he is so silent and pliable(he is probably very confused but Kaz and Ocelot have a plan for him and keep him busy, so he kind of naturally falls into the role they have for him). Explore the ideas that he is a better man than Big Boss, he threw himself in front of a bomb to save him with a moment's hesitation, it is somewhat implied he agreed to to brainwashing to become his phantom. His actions in the game show him to be an honorable man. While in PW Big Boss threatens the child soldier Chico and inducts him into his army, in Phantom Pain Venom is rescuing children and trying to teach them to read and write. But none of this is explored in the game, you have to speculate about it.
    Tonally, the game is a total mess, and it is a bitter disappointment to me.

Umm you realise that you stealing people leads to them being brainwashed into joining your army.

Tbh thats about as fcuking nasty as Hitler :eek:

I agree to an extent, there is too much faffing around in the game but this is a result of how the industry is. Kojima made an epic post modern game that examined society as a whole through a complex plot that assumed the player was of above average intellect in MGS2 and he got panned for it. Each iteration of the series since then has seen Kojima compromise in one way or another and with MGSV he has sacrificed the game he wanted to produce to satisfy Konami and their need to rush the game out. All criticisms of MGSV need to be seen in the context of this situation with Konami as it is unfinished hence the repetition in the game play. As for all the people complaining about needing to be on board the ACC to start missions; games have used these kind of set ups to disguise loading times for years and that basically the only logical reason for that feature, after all open world maps are being loaded in the background.

Yeah many do this, the lifts in mass effect etc but I'd would rather a load screen than having to jump through the hoops required to actually start the mission if on foot on MB, they could have just shown you be picked up by a chopper after selecting a mission or something. It's not a massive deal but an annoyance none the less.

• Advertisement

All criticisms of MGSV need to be seen in the context of this situation with Konami as it is unfinished hence the repetition in the game play.

The thoughts I have with this is that that situation only really seems to have come to a head around April/May of this year when the game had already been in development for years. If you look at scenes from the 2013/2014 trailers and compare to the final game, they seem to have been mostly complete back then, and we saw a lot of the systems and maps too. It seems maybe there was a plan to have a massive crunch period in the last 6 months of development to add a lot of content, but that seems to not have happened(probably due to morale issues with the Konami situation, totally understandable) and instead a bare minimum was put in and the replay missions(and possibly others) were added as padding.

The other alternative was they game's scope was too big. I mean, they had a simultaneous release date on current-gen, last-gen and PC, and the launch of a major online system with FOBs, and dealing with DLC and microtransactions. A lot of that would have been brand new for Kojima Productions and I can see them struggling with it.

I can't wait to see what information we can get on the development of the game once Kojima has left Konami and the dust has settled a bit.

Advertisement