Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

Another gripe I have is with kiefer sutherland. What he does is fine I guess but I can't recall a game where a main character says so little or reacts even less. Some what he does also just feels off and out of place like they had him do X amount of lines and didn't want to pay him to come back to fill it out.

This for me really affects Big Boss as a character in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Another gripe I have is with kiefer sutherland. What he does is fine I guess but I can't recall a game where a main character says so little or reacts even less. Some what he does also just feels off and out of place like they had him do X amount of lines and didn't want to pay him to come back to fill it out.

This for me really affects Big Boss as a character in this.

i thought it did affect it his voice didnt seem to fit right for me and with david hayter available i really think using sutherland was a **** up. I'm nearly glad snake was weirdly quiet as when he spoke it bugged me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've seen a few theories about the lack of dialogue from Sutherland and they do kind of make sense...

Ending spoilers...
    Since you're basically a brainwashed phantom of Big Boss, you're more or less a reactionary husk so the lack of dialogue kind of makes sense.

Compare with the real Big Boss in the opening scene in the hospital who seemed naturally charismatic and spoke quite a lot given the short period of time he was on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

J. Marston wrote: »
    Since you're basically a brainwashed phantom of Big Boss, you're more or less a reactionary husk so the lack of dialogue kind of makes sense.

Compare with the real Big Boss in the opening scene in the hospital who seemed naturally charismatic and spoke quite a lot given the short period of time he was on screen.

Yes, that's exactly it. It makes sense from that context, but it is still very unsatisfying to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I just finished mission 46 .iv it all learned surely ? No point playing missions 47 to 50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

brady12 wrote: »
    I just finished mission 46 .iv it all learned surely ? No point playing missions 47 to 50?
    If you've done 45 too, that's pretty much it.

went back playing far cry 4 today to finish it.after playing mgs since release it has made me appreciate how good it is.because far cry poor in comparsion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Hmm.. Can't seem to unlock mission 43.

Any ideas?

Edit: Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I can't believe I have spent 168 hours on this game so far :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

love the gameplay, Im level 22 and its starting to get a bit repetitive, and now after learning that the game was never properly finished by the developers, I am now losing the urge to play it through to the end.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    love the gameplay, Im level 22 and its starting to get a bit repetitive, and now after learning that the game was never properly finished by the developers, I am now losing the urge to play it through to the end.......

Kinda summed up how im feeling about it too. I think i should give it a break for a while and get through my backlog and come back in bursts but i still wanna try avoid spoilers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I decided to do a quick side-op mission around 11pm this evening.... That led straight into a main Episode.... 2 hours later and I finish that... Now I'm wondering around MB. I should go to sleep! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I can't believe I have spent 168 hours on this game so far :eek:

Some games just eat up much more time than others. Free to play games are a lot like this. 126 hours logged meself. MGSV has F2P tendancies so that might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGlitchKing

So is this game long? I love me MGS but they tend to be over so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So is this game long? I love me MGS but they tend to be over so quick

You could put 100 hours into it. Although 80 of those will be you sitting in a helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ziggyman17 wrote: »

How do you mean it wasn't finished properly?

I do find the whole mission selection thing a bit weird. MGS for me should be far more linear, level based story game. I'm not sure why they changed the format... Still really enjoying it though, but I can see why it'd get repetitive. The missions are very similar...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

One thing I will say though, the intro is as crazy as ever. I have a feeling that not even hideo kojima knows what's actually going on in the MGS universe anymore. It's so complex and bizarre... I wonder if one day it'll end up with someone waking up and it all just being a dream.

Is it part of the appeal now? To be more crazy, deep and avant-garde? MGS is such a far cry away now from the latest few games.

Having said that the gameplay, style and production just makes it such an iconic series. Really the story and dialogue could be anything, and the absolute bizarre, unexplained nature of the intro is quickly forgiven by the direction, gameplay and stunning cinematic. The first time you see fireman, the absolute epicness of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGlitchKing

J. Marston wrote: »
    You could put 100 hours into it. Although 80 of those will be you sitting in a helicopter.

That sounds eerily similar to most of my vacations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's a great game, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

But it's not even half the game Metal Gear Solid or Snake Eater was. I don't know if because like Peace walker this base building and resource assigning and development stuff takes over as opposed to playing a great stealth game for it's story. The other characters aren't really memorable, the baddies moreso.
    I still love Vulcan Raven, Psycho Mantis (old) , Liquid, Otacon etc.....I also MUCH preferred Ocelot in both MGS and Snake Eater. Miller just seems like a Megalomaniac.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It's a great game, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

But it's not even half the game Metal Gear Solid or Snake Eater was. I don't know if because like Peace walker this base building and resource assigning and development stuff takes over as opposed to playing a great stealth game for it's story. The other characters aren't really memorable, the baddies moreso.
    I still love Vulcan Raven, Psycho Mantis (old) , Liquid, Otacon etc.....I also MUCH preferred Ocelot in both MGS and Snake Eater. Miller just seems like a Megalomaniac.

I actually really enjoyed the base building and development elements of peace walker, and thought I'd be right at home with it in PP but no, they sucked all the fun out of that too :(

In peace walker there was a clear link to your success on missions and the stuff you developed , in this you just use the gun you start with the entire time and a rifle once you can make a silencer for it and thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Gamestop offering 25 euro store credit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

cena wrote: »
    Gamestop offering 25 euro store credit

CEX offering €49 cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    CEX offering €49 cash.

I am sure if I want to let it go. Differently no mgs 4. Wasn't too found of the story line

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished chapter one the other day, and while the list of issues I have with the game is just about as long as my Mother Base staff list at this point, I do have to give Kojima credit for belatedly focusing and making sure the game is actually about something, however fleetingly. The word subtle doesn't deserve to be put anywhere near it, and it's reliant on some of the most farcical, contrived pseudo science-fiction imaginable, but when the game zeroes in on its critique of cultural imperialism, we see MGS again being a series that broaches subjects others don't go near. As unwieldy, incomplete a mess as it is overall, a lot of the design does ultimately serve that thematic canvas - from the telling choice of Afghanistan and Angola—Zaire as the settings and the almost obscene lust for resources constantly bubbling in background & foreground alike, to even incremental details like iconic Western pop songs on radios crudely disrupting the local ambiance. When the game
    requires you to micro-manage your entire Mother Base squad based on language
    , it's both an audacious piece of narrative/gameplay cohesion and utterly infuriating to actually play through :pac:

That said, the exposition bomb
    when you're with Skullface in the back of the jeep
    is hands down the most poorly directed and paced cinematic I've ever come across in a video game. The music kicks in with all the elegance of a star wipe, and to have the player sit through several minutes of virtual characters awkwardly staring at each other speechlessly is just about as 'Hideo Kojima, man' as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I didn't really follow the whole Konami/Kojima thing but what's the craic there now? Is this absolutely the end for the Metal Gear series? Could someone else do it or could Kojima do it somewhere else?

Apologies for the probably silly question, I have no idea how these things work.

I'm just going through side-ops now and I've got to the one where
    you have to rescue the super important high profile intel team member who turns out to be Kojima....I'm tired of his sh1t tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Essien wrote: »
    I didn't really follow the whole Konami/Kojima thing but what's the craic there now? Is this absolutely the end for the Metal Gear series? Could someone else do it or could Kojima do it somewhere else?

Konami hold the rights to it. They might proceed with making games for it themselves without Kojima, but chances are they'll just whore the brand out for their pachinko machines or similar. So the MGS franchise is pretty much dead as far as proper game releases go.

That being said, I'm kinda glad. They couldn't stretch the story out any more than they already did and even if they went with the game many fans wanted (playing as The Boss in World War II alongside the Cobra Unit), Kojima would have retconned even more of the story, as he tends to do all the f*cking time.

At this stage, despite its many flaws, MGSV was a good game to finish the saga on, and it's best to let it die. Let Kojima move on to something else. A new story where he can actually plan it out a bit in advance and not retcon the everloving sh*t out of it.

Sorry, I just hate retcons.

anyone playing mgs online?any good ? not sampled it yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Penn wrote: »
    That being said, I'm kinda glad. They couldn't stretch the story out any more than they already did and even if they went with the game many fans wanted (playing as The Boss in World War II alongside the Cobra Unit), Kojima would have retconned even more of the story, as he tends to do all the f*cking time.

I don't know, James Bond has been going for decades and there is no reason why MGS couldn't have followed similar narrative. Loose and open from game to game.

However I suspect we will see an era of MGS mobile games in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

faceman wrote: »
    I don't know, James Bond has been going for decades and there is no reason why MGS couldn't have followed similar narrative. Loose and open from game to game.

However I suspect we will see an era of MGS mobile games in the future.

Because James Bond stories don't have any continuity...so they make them forever in whatever decade.

They told the story of Solid Snake...from his first mission...to when he was an old man on his last one.
    They then went back in time....to play his father...from his beginning..through to his final missions.

The only other possible way I could see them making any more games (which I don't think they should...without Kojima) ...is to remake the original Metal Gear games that came out for the NES and MSX for modern day.

Otherwise some side story for Liquid or Solidus, but I doubt they'd really work,

Penn wrote: »

I've never even heard of this. Big Boss was born in 1935...4 years before the start of WW2. He was 10 when it ended, how was he supposed to be fighting in it ?
    Born in 1935, John was more commonly known as Jack during his early years. Jack's military career dated back to the 1950s, when he participated in the Korean War as a teenager and later joined the Green Berets. In 1950, at the age of fifteen, he met The Boss and became her apprentice after which point she trained him in combat, demolition, and intel gathering techniques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I've never even heard of this. Big Boss was born in 1935...4 years before the start of WW2. He was 10 when it ended, how was he supposed to be fighting in it ?

The Boss, not Big Boss.
    latest?cb=20110611141600

She was Big Boss' mentor and leader of the Cobra Unit. She primarily developed CQC and gave birth on the battlefield of WW2.

Advertisement