Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Penn wrote: »
    The Boss, not Big Boss.
    latest?cb=20110611141600

She was Big Boss' mentor and leader of the Cobra Unit. She primarily developed CQC and gave birth on the battlefield of WW2.

Ahh her, never had an interest in her at all. Revolver Ocelot's mom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Ahh her, never had an interest in her at all. Revolver Ocelot's mom.

Greatest soldier of the 20th Century (Snake only defeated her because she let him, as it was part of her mission)
    Her reputation was so great that she was the only one who could get close enough to Volgin to get the Legacy
    Invented/developed CQC and many other techniques
    Founded and led the Cobra Unit
    Taught Snake everything he knew
    Her beliefs are what ultimately led to the entire series. Big Boss, Zero, SkullFace, Ocelot & The Patriots all striving to realise her dream (though misinterpreting it), while Solid Snake & Otacon ultimately achieved it (without realising it).

She was a great character, I'd almost say my personal favourite throughout the whole MGS series. Her character and story is one of the things that makes MGS3 such a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Think Penn just revealed his waifu :pac:

But for real she's the most interesting character in the series and still has a lot of mystery around her. I would've loved a game based around her and commanding the Cobra Unit. That's COOP I'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yep, The Boss is one of the best characters, if not the best, in the whole series. That fight at the end of MGS3 wouldn't have been so amazing if she wasn't a brilliant character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Think Penn just revealed his waifu :pac:

But for real she's the most interesting character in the series and still has a lot of mystery around her. I would've loved a game based around her and commanding the Cobra Unit. That's COOP I'd like to see.

Oh god I just googled 'waifu'

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Suicided for his waifu. Dedicated Penn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Decided to send out soldiers on a key deployment mission. Mission was 2.5 hours long and in the the very last minute, the mission failed. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've been a big fan of Metal Gear Solid since I first played MGS1 in 1999.... and when I say big fan I mean I love the series. However MGS5 is a let down in so many ways :(

I mean, ok i'll spoiler the rest (Don't look if you haven't completed the game) -
    There is hardly any story. The gameplay is solid. One of the best games i've ever played. But where is the story!? This is Metal Gear Solid.
    But eventually it's revealed that you are not the real big boss. But the set-up wasn't really ... well.... set up :mad:
    You open the game with a guy name Ishmael beside you and you wonder what exactly is going on. It grabs your attention so much. But then after 40+ hours of gameplay without reference to that... yeah it's revealed he is the real big boss. That you've been playing an a fake snake the whole time. Despite this game being sold to you as "the missing chapter that makes big boss go evil" - What a let down.

I could go on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Decided to send out soldiers on a key deployment mission. Mission was 2.5 hours long and in the the very last minute, the mission failed. Frustrating.

It didn't fail in the last minute - the mission ended in a failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

The online isn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Once I got an silenced tranq rifle about mission 15ish, the entire game became a cycle of sneaking through an outpost, tranqing or CQCing enemies and extracting them, then returning to the chopper. Over and over again. Doesn't matter if the mission is to eliminate a commander or destroy a tank unit, you are always best served by sneaking in and extracting the targets instead since then they can contribute to Diamond Dogs, or give you bonus GMP and Heroism to build up DD again.

Don't tell me "oh, that's just how you choose to play" - there is no incentive to ever kill anybody since it is always a better choice to extract them instead to build up Diamond Dogs. No incentive to blow up tanks etc, you can extract them too. It's how the game is designed, if you are killing people you are not playing optimally. ..

I think they should have changed this slightly. As you say there is no reason to not extract everyone, and that continues through the entire game because the people get better. Even if MB is full it still makes sense to extract everyone as they are better than the fellas you got at the start.

If they didn't make the guys progressively better and just make it completely random (e.g. you can get lucky and come across A++ soldiers at any random outpost right at the start of the game) you would have no reason to Fulton everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

towards the end of my playtime, I was fultoning purely from a 'hide the body' / 'avoid the feckers waking up' point of view.. thought they woke up far to quickly from tranq's / CQB imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think being able to run up to a tank and Fulton it, is a bit crap.

I think it would be better if you could only Fulton them if they are empty or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Things that are really good;

Engine is really solid.
    Gameplay is fluid
    Graphics are primo (for the most part...)
    Typical Hideo Madness
    'Boss' characters are brilliant
    The designs and settings
    Weapon and item upgrades

Things that aren't so good;

Fulton
    Base development
    Requiring staff/soldiers
    Fulton
    Open world
    Not enough indoor missions
    Fulton
    Resources

Now I haven't played much of it but that's my impression so far. Missions are very repetitive because all I'm doing is fultoning everything...

I'm not a fan of snake eater so I probably my am a bit biased but for me mgs is all about tactical espionage, but that feels secondary here. I want to be sneaking around corridors and bases like a ninja, not roaming a free world tranqing everyone and sticking a balloon to them, or managing resources and staff. The game is trying to be too many things and has lost what the mgs games are all about.

MGS 1, 2 and 4 were the best, and very different to MGS 3 and 5 funnily enough.

Still gonna finish it tho. Some of the missions are ace. Sniper battle with quiet was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I think being able to run up to a tank and Fulton it, is a bit crap.

I think it would be better if you could only Fulton them if they are empty or something.

I agree, but it certainly made the mission Occupation Forces easier. Especially the latter one.

Metal gear solid gameplay isn't supposed make perfect sense .so get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Just got the fob, now most of my resources are gone online and I cant sell them. I had a bunch saved for a rainy day, why even bother extracting weapons anymore? Ffs was really enjoying it, done until(if) they sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Having put about 20 hours into this, it has now bored me. I've lost all interest in it. Between the credit running before and after every mission (I know you can skip the after credits), and the fact that the game more or less forces you to fulton everyone in order to build up the base are the driving factors behind my loss of interest. I want to be able to play the game my way, but that would result in less money = less stuff = even more similar missions. Maybe, like Peace Walker, i'll get into it better in a few years, but for now i'm done with this. Pity, because it seems like a good game, but the points above ruined it for me.

Thankfully, we're very close to Fallout 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

brady12 wrote: »
    Metal gear solid gameplay isn't supposed make perfect sense .so get over it

Nobody cares about making sense. We're talking about how the dynamics of the gameplay effect how you play the game.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote:
    Nobody cares about making sense. We're talking about how the dynamics of the gameplay effect how you play the game.

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I haven't played much of it (maybe 10 hours) but that was enough for me. MGS was never an open world game and for good reason. It's story driven and you actually want to feel like a stealth master when you are sneaking around, not a guy who can over run an entire base camp with a tranq gun. There are some great ideas in this game but it feels hollow.

An open world MGS game would be better set in a dense, sprawling urban area - this would give much more scope for missions and variety of game play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm sick of Ocelot or Miller telling me 'They're Russian soldiers....blah blah" when I click on them for info. I though they'd have said something different, or that I was being given the option to call for info because they were important or different.

Fulton as everyone mentioned is annoying as hell, I played PeaceWalker before this game specifically to prepare myself for the story..and got bored of Fultoning and Mother Base building pretty quickly in that...so I was disappointed to see it return here.
    And Mother Base is HUGE....why is the medical platform like 2km away from the RnD etc ?

I really want to use a sniper, but they seem to hear it quite early and all go on alert forever. So I'll wait till I can upgrade or buy a long-distance silenced one (I assume there is)
    I'm about 15 missions in, yet still using upgraded versions of the original weapons...there has been no need at all to switch...and I need the tranq for Fultoning.

Too little talking from Big Boss, and he looks drugged up all the time. He has no personality at all in this game. At least in MGS3 you seen and played through his story, you felt different emotions for and with him as the story progressed.
    This portrayal...I just feel detached from...couldn't care less really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

"This is Pequod...."

Hearing that is slowly driving me insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"This is Pequod...."

lol I assumed he was saying "This is P Squad" and always wondered what happened to squads A through O! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The girlfriend was in the room when I was playing it once. At one point she looked up fairly bemused and asked "Did he say 'this is dick wad?'"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

"This is Pequod...."

Anytime I hear a helicopter overhead in real life I hear "This is Pequod on station at LZ" in my head accompanied by the intro to The Final Countdown (my heli music).

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

faceman wrote: »
    lol I assumed he was saying "This is P Squad" and always wondered what happened to squads A through O! :o
    Like Ishmael, it's a Moby Dick reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I finished Mission 31, and I thought I was done with the game. I wasn't. Slightly disappointed. The game was great, but I'm kinda getting a bit bored. The second half does seem to be a bit more interesting, and I've done about 4 side ops and 4 missions past Mission 31. Damn my promise to myself to stop getting distracted by other games and finish what I started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well after the large MGO patch, it looks like Konami will now no longer support MGO due to it closing of Kojima Productions LA studio today, looks like the PC version cold be dead in the water also.

Advertisement