Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VPN on iPad

• 04-11-2013 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Just wondering have any of you got a iPad running with a VPN to be able to watch content from the US and UK?

Any good free ones maybe apps or a decent one setup via PC and then linked to the iPad.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Astrill is excellent but it will cost you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I believe you can do per-app VPN now on iOS7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

"DNS" services are the easiest and most reliable option if just for watching video content, although subscription services.

Check out the likes of Unblock-US, Playmo.TV etc. They have free trials to try the service out for a week and you don't need to give over any details at the start, except for your email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

www.hola.org is a free app that unlocks us and uk content ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

opti76 wrote: »
    www.hola.org is a free app that unlocks us and uk content ..

Not available on iOS platform though is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

adox wrote: »
    Not available on iOS platform though is it?
    nope.

i use overplay dns service on the ipad (and other ios devices) and it works spot on for most stuff.
    I rarely need to use a proper VPN any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

nope.

i use overplay dns service on the ipad (and other ios devices) and it works spot on for most stuff.
    I rarely need to use a proper VPN any more.

Please explain how to do this! Use Hola on my laptop but would love to be able to use my iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

glack wrote: »
    Please explain how to do this! Use Hola on my laptop but would love to be able to use my iPad.

Its extremely easy. It's outlined below and is the same regardless of what DNS based vpn you chose. Just a question of typing a few numbers into the right place .
    http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291548

Its extremely easy. It's outlined below and is the same regardless of what DNS based vpn you chose. Just a question of typing a few numbers into the right place .
    http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291548
    thats exactly how you do it.
    1 setting and your done and unlike VPN theres no need to turn on or off.

Overplay is a mere 5dollars (so 4euro approx) a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'm using tunnelbear unlimited, works fine for me.
    It seems to be on offer a lot so it was $49 for the year when I got it.
    I must look into the DNS based services when I get near the end of the subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Does overplay work with Itv player,Five player and the BBC iPlayer? Or the RTE player when in the states (using an Irish ip for that one) ?

Anyone using hide my ass ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I use filmon to watch all the UK freesat channels. Tis free in the app store. Also has filmon.com for watching on the laptop. Completely free, no need for vpn's or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

whitebriar wrote: »
    Does overplay work with Itv player,Five player and the BBC iPlayer? Or the RTE player when in the states (using an Irish ip for that one) ?

I dont know but unblock-us definitely does and costs $4.99 per month.

Lardy wrote: »
    I use filmon to watch all the UK freesat channels. Tis free in the app store. Also has filmon.com for watching on the laptop. Completely free, no need for vpn's or anything.
    completely free till a rugby or soccer game of interest comes along and suddenly you need a paid subscription!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Might save someone some time & hassle - the old Airports can cause VPN "fun" :( :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/836746?start=210&tstart=0

completely free till a rugby or soccer game of interest comes along and suddenly you need a paid subscription!!

That's odd, I've never paid a penny to watch a match? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I used to use hide my ass but found it got really slow and unreliable.

Lardy wrote: »
    That's odd, I've never paid a penny to watch a match? :confused:
    on filmon ?

if you go to itv or bbc streaming direct (with your jiggery pokery) they are grand, but "filmon" does block when they are at full stretch.

as i said, I use the dns jiggery pokery from overplay and with that you have a direct connection between you and the broadcaster so video in HD is no problem so long as your broadband is fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I've been using the free TunnelBear subscription (500mb) the last year. It's not a big allowance, so once you get the initial connection by loading a video (in, say, the US Netflix, NBC, ITV, etc) you then pause the video, and turn off the VPN. Go back to your video, and continue playing without your TunnelBear allowance being used. Don't think I've ever used over 50mb with this method.

Works with the iPad with most Apps. Doesn't work with the iPlayer however. But if you flick on the VPN, download whatever show you want on the iPlayer (the iPlayer App let's you download a lot of the content for offline playback), switch off TunnelBear and let the video download. Also works on the iPhone, iPod Touch and PC (to an extent).

on filmon ?

if you go to itv or bbc streaming direct (with your jiggery pokery) they are grand, but "filmon" does block when they are at full stretch.

as i said, I use the dns jiggery pokery from overplay and with that you have a direct connection between you and the broadcaster so video in HD is no problem so long as your broadband is fast enough.

Yup, I use the FimOn app on the iPad and FilmOn.com on the laptop and never been charged or had the stream stop when watching a match. I'm normally tethering to my Three phone when watching them. I use it nearly every day for watching Dave, too! :P

• Advertisement

FilmOn is live tv.
    The purpose of a VPN for me is to watch on demand tv,when I want to watch them.

Anyway I have free view and a sling box so have access to all that stuff independently but not the catch up players or U.S TV for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

No need to pay for Tunnelbear or unblockus - tunlr.net is free and works with US Netflix/BBC iPlayer/ITV/NBC/CBS/ABC/Pandora and more. I used to pay for VPN but have been using Tunlr for the last year or so without problems. I have one router with standard DNS settings and one router with tunlr DNS. Works perfectly.

on filmon ?

overplay have some bad reviews online,due to slowness,buffering etc.
    Are you on fibre?
    Bog standard up to 8mb here,usually 4mb.
    Works fine for sky and netflix but wonder if going through overplay would cause treacle if not on fibre?

overplay have some bad reviews online,due to slowness,buffering etc.
    Are you on fibre?
    Bog standard up to 8mb here,usually 4mb.
    Works fine for sky and netflix but wonder if going through overplay would cause treacle if not on fibre?
    nah, just standard 16meg connection but normally only get about 10 out of her.
    Was considering getting a 100meg cable connection, but what I have is grand and any problems are to do with broadcasters being overloaded more than anything else from what i can see.

If you use overplay vpn, all your traffic is being sent with them but as I understand it the dns service end up setting a link between you and the broadcaster.

Overplay has a payg service at $5 a month,so I'll give it a lash and report back.
    For that you can use any amount of worldwide ip address's that they have for 30 days it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is this the sort of thing you could use to surf the web securely in a free wifi area, or..?

Advertisement