Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swopping Hard drives.

Options
  • 04-11-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi Guys,I have had water poured into my laptop and its shagged.However I have another laptop the exact same make and model.Could I take the hard drive out of the damaged one and pop it into my other laptop.Any fear off me ending up with two laptops not working .Or should I get an interface and get the files that way .Thanks a million in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It won't hurt the 2nd laptop to try the drive from the 1st in it. However some manufacturers use the same model number, but may have completely different mobos/chipsets/cpu, e.g. Dell , can't remember the exact model right now

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lenny1020

My laptops are Samsung R520.Will give it a go tomorrow.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If the drive from the 1st laptop was also water damaged it might be safer to use an external enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lenny1020

I wonder how do I know which one to get and even where to look for one .Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

lenny1020 wrote: »
    I wonder how do I know which one to get and even where to look for one .Thanks

Looks like you'd need a 'SATA enclosure'. Have a quick look over in adverts.ie and do a search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

2.5 inch sata caddy , around 12 euro in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    It won't hurt the 2nd laptop to try the drive from the 1st in it. However some manufacturers use the same model number, but may have completely different mobos/chipsets/cpu, e.g. Dell , can't remember the exact model right now

boot into safe modem first... this allows windows install core drivers to suit the motherboard / cpu

then boot into normal modem to allow windows install any remaining drivers

most of the time windows wont bluescreen when you do it this way

Advertisement