Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooling off period under distance selling

Options
  • 04-11-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Please don't move this to the UPC forum.

Looking for a bit of advice as to when a cooling off period is deemed to start.

I ordered the Horizon bundle (TV, 200mb broadband and phone) last month and I received the horizon box on the 16th October, but UPC had issues and I didn't receive broadband or phone until the 21st October (after numerous calls). Late last week I received my first bill under my new contract and discovered I had been receiving 120mb broadband and not the 200mb I had ordered and my bill seemed higher than I was expecting. Having spent an hour or two trying to get a resolution (and the issues I had initially) I got frustrated and decided I was going to cancel everything and invoke my 7 day cooling off period. I received the following responses from UPC:
    • I wasn't entitled to a cooling off period as I was an existing customer (despite me signing a new 12 month contract)
    • I was entitled to a cooling off period, but it had expired as it started the day I received my box (despite me not having any internet or phone for 6 days and then not having the internet I ordered until last Thursday)
    • My cooling off period expired last Thursday as I had received all my services at that point
    So long story short, does anyone know did my cooling off period start on the receipt of my box from UPC or when I received all of the services that I ordered?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Thanks for that, I guess as I received all my services last week then the cooling off period is null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just on the off chance ask UPC to point to exactly where in the contract is details the procedure for cooling off.

You have to be given written notice of the period as well as just invoking it.

Advertisement