Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culture of thievery

• 04-11-2013 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed there seems to be a common trendy of general thievery in UL?

You literally cannot go to the stables without at least one attempt by someone to steal your drink, jacket, bag, phone, money.

It's like the entire place is full of scumbags . I have spoken informally with the manager there and every saturday morning he's looking through the CCTV to help someone find a stolen item.

Bicycles and car robberies, the blame here can probably he laid at the feet of those not actually students.

House parties? Has anyone had a house party near UL and not had something pilfered.

Is just something that people do in UL? Go there, get an ita of like 1.5, fail loads of exams, drink a load of beer, and steal stuff on nights out and blame it on drink.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Not just limited to the stables- my other half left her laptop charger after her in the library one night and it was taken. For a fairly ancient laptop and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

UL like everywhere else is a public place and students with drink taken are easy targets as I think there is a culture of leaving things lying around the whole university, laptops in the library, mobile phones on the table in the restaurants and bars. I know things can get lost or stolen but personal responsibility has a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

What is UL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Drained_Empty

What is what?

was just chatting to a number of students around campus today, absolutely shocking the amount of thieving, robbery and pilfering goin on. UL, especially in the rain and roadworks, is like a giant sewer for all the rats from the horrible parts of this country to converge on.

I'm surprised UL doesn't have it's own problem with 'Leitrim day' and all that other knackery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What people are robbing people in a major population area. Never heard that before.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    What people are robbing people in a major population area. Never heard that before.

fairly predicatable answer at this stage.

everyone just says that what ever nastiness that happens in UL is just accountable to any other population.

nonsense.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Someone stole a tenner from a box I was using to collect money for Temple Street Children's hospital in my office today. Quite close to U.L. actually. One of the students must have gotten in somehow. :-(

MarkR wrote: »
    Someone stole a tenner from a box I was using to collect money for Temple Street Children's hospital in my office today. Quite close to U.L. actually. One of the students must have gotten in somehow. :-(

wow. any cctv?

fairly predicatable answer at this stage.

everyone just says that what ever nastiness that happens in UL is just accountable to any other population.

nonsense.

Crime takes place where ever people are. Its a fact of life.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Crime takes place where ever people are. Its a fact of life.

like if you are going to contribute to my threads would you reign in your empty truisms and banal generalisations? please.

The question at hand is whether UL has MORE than it's FAR SHARE of petty theft? A community that is supposed to be made up of people who are aiming to increase their knowledge, foster intellectualism, improve and innovate society one surely would expect crime BY members of that community to be low.

but yet, you turn up at international night on a friday and it's basically a haven of base debauchery. IT's frankly embarrassing.

• Advertisement

like if you are going to contribute to my threads would you reign in your empty truisms and banal generalisations? please.

The question at hand is whether UL has MORE than it's FAR SHARE of petty theft? A community that is supposed to be made up of people who are aiming to increase their knowledge, foster intellectualism, improve and innovate society one surely would expect crime BY members of that community to be low.

but yet, you turn up at international night on a friday and it's basically a haven of base debauchery. IT's frankly embarrassing.

LOL
    I'm going to blow you mind when I inform you that UL is a public place where people other than students can enter. So don't try and blame them. By the way regardless of how smart you think you are the thief that gets you will always be smarter.
    Have you any evidence to back up your baseless claims?
    Also if I'm showing up to international night how am I home with my family?

what are you talking about?

the majority of people at international night in the stables are members of the UL community. the majority of people in the library are members of the UL community. ARe you saying it's LC students going around nicking laptop chargers in november?

Well like you I have no evidence on who robbed what so I'll follow your suit and make a baseless claim that all the robberies in UL are committed by flying lizard monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

"A community that is supposed to be made up of people who are aiming to increase their knowledge, foster intellectualism, improve and innovate society one surely would expect crime BY members of that community to be low."

Jester's remarks may be truisms but at least they are true.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

wow. any cctv?

Disappointingly, no. They actually stole money from sick kids. :(

Anyway, they didn't get it all, so I'll carry on collecting. Karma will catch up with them hopefully. :)

"A community that is supposed to be made up of people who are aiming to increase their knowledge, foster intellectualism, improve and innovate society one surely would expect crime BY members of that community to be low."

Jester's remarks may be truisms but at least they are true.

If what I said where truisms why does this thread exist?

That's the point.

That's the point.

Are you mad that I stole your point?

Yes, so much so, I now intend to make a thread about the culture of point stealing here on the boards.ie UL board.

Advertisement