Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option

Options
  • 04-11-2013 8:36pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm moving to a new broadband provider in a few weeks but the router is going to be placed inside the front door where the phone socket is. Old provider just put small dish on roof and ran cable to router. Now I'm not too keen on this as the router isn't the nicest looking and herself would rather it not be there!!

I've a home office that I work from most days so I'd like the router up there, what would be best way to have a phone line up there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'm moving to a new broadband provider in a few weeks but the router is going to be placed inside the front door where the phone socket is. Old provider just put small dish on roof and ran cable to router. Now I'm not too keen on this as the router isn't the nicest looking and herself would rather it not be there!!

I've a home office that I work from most days so I'd like the router up there, what would be best way to have a phone line up there?

Who are you moving to? If it's eircom I think you can pay extra to get another phone socket installed.

If it's another provider I'm sure they would have the same approach but then again they would probably need to get eircom out to do it, not 100% sure.

If your handy enough you can pick up one of the phone socket kits in the likes of Woodies or B&Q and just run one from your existing phone line. (It's basically a phone socket you need to wire at one end and a generic connection that you plug into the existing phone socket).

Or even easier again, just get a long extension phone cable and run it from the socket to the router.

If it's eircom and your getting eFibre, wait until the technician has installed it. He will be replacing your existing phone socket with a new one. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago but luckily the old cable I ran was still there.

But running an extension to the router would be the cheaper option but the difficulty would depend on how handy you are!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm moving to Vodafone and the router arrived this morning! My home office is above the hallway and the phone socket is on the gable end so I'm hoping to run the phone line down there but it's a concrete wall.

I'm moving to Vodafone and the router arrived this morning! My home office is above the hallway and the phone socket is on the gable end so I'm hoping to run the phone line down there but it's a concrete wall.

A good masonry drill bit will get you through that concrete wall in no time! You could run it up through the ceiling but you have the likes of pipes and wires running so best avoid that.

If you are drilling a hole in the wall for the wire your best to get some of that spray foam or something to prevent a draft or moisture getting into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Best run a cat5 cable from your router in the hall to your office and fit a network switch there. You could also use home plugs to transfer the Ethernet to up stairs.

I would place the router at the master socket in the hall, these tend not to like being plugged into a phone extension.

Best run a cat5 cable from your router in the hall to your office and fit a network switch there. You could also use home plugs to transfer the Ethernet to up stairs.

I would place the router at the master socket in the hall, these tend not to like being plugged into a phone extension.

Have one set up for my granddad and seems to work fine, no drop in connection or change in speed compared directly connected to the socket itself.

Then again it depends on the wire and such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement