Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question

Options
  • 04-11-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

How did my fellow O&O's get their current or last job?

For me it happened thus:

Unemployed for some years despite studying for a degree, I had finally given up all hope of finding work. On a visit to see my parents I met my sister who was also visiting, she was happily reading the paper.

"Hey look at this dear brother who I worship and for whom the sun always shines."

"What have you found, devoted little sister who is worshipping the right totally modest person?"

(I may have misquoted that bit)

Anyway what she had seen in the paper was an article about a company that was desperate for folks to work for it but couldn't find anyone. They needed qualified and experienced people and could not pay top wages. But the overall package for the right people was alright, if not outstanding.

I phoned them. Then was invited for an interview.

In the interview I was told by the interviewer that "People from Liverpool who are out of work are useless lazy spongers of the state."

Nearly ready to give it a ride back I stood up. The interviewer told me to go outside and take a walk around the place to see what they did. Determined to not be the one who lost his temper I did so, mainly to calm down and tell them I didn't want the job anyway.

When I went back in the office I was asked if I could start immediately at a higher grade than I had applied for. It seems the comments from before were merely a ploy to see my reaction when I was angry. Not nice but pretty clever.

Although I have been promoted a couple of times since, I am still there. Job has changed a bit, but it is still poorly paid for what I do. (Company is now a different one and doesn't look after its employees either.) Yet 16 years and I am still there. Where can I go next?

I keep moving further and further west so perhaps there is a nice opening in Ireland :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Though I am now retired, my last (in every sense) job was a total chance affair. I was working as a self employed graphic designer and getting a bit fed up with it, when a client phoned and asked would I take his son on for work experience. I agreed (though I discovered that it really was not a very convenient thing to do). While he was with me we were chatting about where he was studying and I thought, I wonder if I could get a few hours teaching photoshop there.

I sent off a cv on Tuesday and on Friday received a phone call to say could I start immediately to cover for someone who had been out sick for some time and his classes were desperately in need of guidance to get them through end of year assessments. I suddenly found myself teaching a variety of art and computer classes to plc students! It was the blind leading the blind but it worked out fine. I limped along with the graphic design that summer, but then in September got another call to say could I come back, and so it continued for eight years!

I really enjoyed that job, the situation has completely changed now, you would not get a job teaching without a teaching qualification now, but I managed fine - they kept asking me to go back anyway! Sending off that cv was the best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

looksee wrote: »
    teaching photoshop
    I have a million and 2 questions to ask you now.
    1: What is the difference between Multiply and Darken blend modes?

:)

About 7 years ago I was made redundant from a software company. After 6 months sitting on my ass waiting for the next job to fall into my lap I got bored. I decided to step into a stress free job to help keep my sanity while I looked for something suitable for my skills and so I applied to work as a driver with the city council. I did get some strange looks at the interview as they looked at what I was applying for and at my credentials. To say I was a bit over qualified for the position is an understatement of monumental proportions. However then let me take the job. For a few weeks I was happly driving a council van around the streets doing a host of jobs and thoroughly enjoying myself. I was working physically, getting grubby and sweaty with honest toil.
    Sadly the department discovered that I knew a little bit about computers and archiving and they found a job for me sitting behind a desk again. I'm still here. :o

However the stress levels are way down and for a man of my delicate disposition (and family history of heart problems) reducing stress is a SERIOUS benefit. I'll never go back to the early grave inducing jobs of the private sector again. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Well, I had just had my yearly row with the boss (annual appraisal time) and, walking towards my office thought "I don't need this no mo". HR (Human Remains) was still open so I entered, signed on the dotted line and walked.

About a year later, while I was in my shed, ankle deep in wood shavings, the Supreme Being of my former discipline phoned, asked how I was and then asked WHERE I wanted to work, i.e. various cities around the world! I picked one, went for seven months, didn't like it, thanked His Supremity for the opportunity and was heading for his office door when he said "Wait, try another city," went there, quite liked it and I'm still here after 30 months.

The other party in the yearly row was moved to an "exciting and challenging role" in a compact office in Texas with few staff and little opportunity to appear taller by standing on top of other employees.

These events are real but some details have been omitted for dramatic and editorial reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was on holiday Furtaventrua, thing were not great in the job I was in, anyway I went for a coffee as and as I sat down some one has left an Irish paper, I picked up the paper and the ad for my current job was in it, I got the job and have been here ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I gave up a much disliked teaching job when my first born arrived and vowed to skimp and save in order to be a full time mum. Two more babies later and I did some part time teaching but still hated it. One summer we decided to take the kids to France on a package holiday. I had studied French in college and had spent a lot of time there. Later that year a brochure popped in the letterbox from the tour operator with a circular inside looking for staff for a new office opening here.

I applied, got the job & worked there for 18 years. Loved every minute of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement