Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Valu Monksland

Options
  • 04-11-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I went to Smith's Super Valu in Monksland this evening, loaded all my items on the checkout and asked for plastic bags for my shopping only to be told that they don't have them anymore and that I can buy a tiny canvass bag instead for 1.20 euro. Now there was absolutely no warning in advance of this new policy as I got a plastic bag with my shopping only last week. This is a right scam in my opinion as I'm sure loads of people were caught with all their shopping on the checkout, no plastic bags available and being forced to buy multiple small canvass bags for 1.20 a bag. There were boxes upon boxes of them beside the checkout waiting to be sold. Has anyone else encountered this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Baralis1 wrote: »
    I went to Smith's Super Valu in Monksland this evening, loaded all my items on the checkout and asked for plastic bags for my shopping only to be told that they don't have them anymore and that I can buy a tiny canvass bag instead for 1.20 euro. Now there was absolutely no warning in advance of this new policy as I got a plastic bag with my shopping only last week. This is a right scam in my opinion as I'm sure loads of people were caught with all their shopping on the checkout, no plastic bags available and being forced to buy multiple small canvass bags for 1.20 a bag. There were boxes upon boxes of them beside the checkout waiting to be sold. Has anyone else encountered this?
    Let the buyer beware.
    At least u can use the canvas ones again

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Baralis1 wrote: »
    forced to buy multiple small canvass bags for 1.20 a bag

Forced ? Really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

That seems to be the case in all SuperValu stores now but I think them plastic bags were a total waste of money. Also the new offers start on a Thursday instead of a Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Going on the midlands forum on boards will help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭glen25

I went in there about 2 weeks ago and the same thing happened. I was offered a roll of bin liners to buy if I wanted to pack my groceries. I asked was there no bags or boxes ANYWHERE in the store I could use/but and they said no. The fact they had the rolls of bin liners at the tills to sell said it all. In the end the woman at the till shut up shop and helped me carry the groceries to the car. I asked why she didn't just open the bin liners and give me a few (and charge me the levy) and she said they did that before and management didn't like it. Bit of a farce if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Always handy to bring a few to the re-usable bags with you.

Dunnes in Irishtown don't sell them crappy cheap thinner than condom plastic bags also. They usually ripped on you anyway if you had something with plastic packaging with a less than blunt edge or sharp corner.

Advertisement