Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 5 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Does SMS within Hangouts make sense?

One feature I'm wary of, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Amalgam wrote: »
    Does SMS within Hangouts make sense?

One feature I'm wary of, to be honest.

It's been coming for a long time. A rival to iMessage I think.
    To be honest, I'm a fan. Haven't checked to see if the SMS show up on other Hangouts installations on my tablet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

root, (stolen from the other thread)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2507211

Just added some links to the OP for others wanting a N5 / have a N5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Haven't checked to see if the SMS show up on other Hangouts installations on my tablet though.

That's what is creeping me out a bit, that your SMS have now been co-opted into Google. I always saw SMS as an offline thing, which I wanted to keep 'away' from online.

• Advertisement

That's what is creeping me out a bit, that your SMS have now been co-opted into Google. I always saw SMS as an offline thing, which I wanted to keep 'away' from online.

You still can disable SMS in Hangouts and install a third party app such as GO SMS. I'm sure it wont be long before someone ports the 4.3 and below SMS app over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Big upgrade being downloaded now... Has anybody rooted it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Defintely going to order one of these bad boys. Or possible road trip to the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

Handcent SMS already has 4.4 support, and can be set as default messaging app, but Textra, my own personal favourite, can't yet. Ah well. Don't really like Hangouts handling the SMS, as it mixes all contacts from Google+ in with phone numbers. Just looks cluttered to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Picked this up an hour ago, already starting to miss the screen on my Note 2. Was expecting the bump from 720p to 1080p to be more noticeable...or noticeable at all!

A85A4E48684E455A807CFA11FECA33C1-0000353442-0003423200-01600L-46F5B38E401541D48797C50F1DCF40ED.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I'd appreciate the opinions of people coming to this from the HTC One, in particular battery life and then general experience.

Google and LG have played this one close to their chest, with very few test units in the field, so battery tests are very limited, and all over the shop -- some reviews are saying it's bad, whereas some on XDA are saying it's good. Feedback here would be useful.

On the UI front, I'm actually not a fan of "the pure Google experience", I have a Nexus 7 and I find it restrictive and frustrating compared to Sense on the One, so again, it would be nice to hear from One users on usability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Hangouts doesn't store sms in the cloud. It's just the same as using handcent or any other 3rd party sms app. "hangouts" messages do sit in google but not text messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Absolutely love the animation when you lock the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone give a definitive battery life yet?

At only an extra 200mah I'm really struggling to see do I need to upgrade from my N4 tbh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Might be worth installing the snapdragon battery app to maximise the battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This is my first phone with LED notification. What's the best app for assigning different colours to different apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tragedy wrote: »
    Picked this up an hour ago, already starting to miss the screen on my Note 2. Was expecting the bump from 720p to 1080p to be more noticeable...or noticeable at all!

[/URL]

The clarity is better on the N5 with the images you supplied (quite noticeable)

listermint wrote: »

Indeed look at that beautiful IPS display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

This is my first phone with LED notification. What's the best app for assigning different colours to different apps?

Light Flow for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Nexus arrived this morning, looks very sleek! Any suggestions to a poor fella with chronic iOS syndrome on how to transfer contacts, texts etc from the iPhone to the Nexus?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Flush the iPhone down the toilet and start afresh. Don't you feel better already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

I would be tempted to do that allright, but it may not be wise :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Should be doable through Bluetooth, or if you can save them through your Google Account that's even easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

el_greco wrote: »
    Any suggestions to a poor fella with chronic iOS syndrome on how to transfer contacts, texts etc from the iPhone to the Nexus?

This should help you.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-switch-from-iphone-to-android/

Had a load of emails to print, did it straight from the phone faultlessly there. Even with the hp app on the Note 3 or HTC One it never ran as smooth as that. Very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Nexarz

Anyone find Hangouts only sometimes puts a name to who you are texting by sms? seem to only show a name if its in my favorites otherwise it seems to just show me the number!! kinda annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Nexarz wrote: »
    Anyone find Hangouts only sometimes puts a name to who you are texting by sms? seem to only show a name if its in my favorites otherwise it seems to just show me the number!! kinda annoying!

I find the Hangouts and SMS a bit confusing.
    If I SMS someone its in its own thread and not linked to a Hangout thread for that same person or am I doing something wrong?
    Its a bit all over the place and hard to follow - I thought it would choose between Hangouts and SMS depending on your connection and the person you are contacting. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

So, do we need to unlock the BootLoader to root this puppy? :)

EDIT: Just realised that we do!

Feck it anyway, just spent all morning setting this up, so that I can just drop in my SIM and be ready to go! Now I have to go through all that again :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Just opened it up and installing day 1 update now. Coming from an iPhone 4 the screen is massive! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Nexarz

tui0hcg wrote: »
    I find the Hangouts and SMS a bit confusing.
    If I SMS someone its in its own thread and not linked to a Hangout thread for that same person or am I doing something wrong?
    Its a bit all over the place and hard to follow - I thought it would choose between Hangouts and SMS depending on your connection and the person you are contacting. :mad:

Yea you need to make a new thread, pick your contact and choose the number to sms, on the threads list there should be the name and a little sms box on the botton right corner of the contact's icon

listermint wrote: »

That's because the camera autofocused on the closer N5 I'm afraid, combined with a slightly bigger text size (the Note 2 was just factory defaulted so was running Android Browser vs Chrome on the N5!).

Mine used 10% battery in 6.5 hours on standby, with 28% going on 'google services' - the Note 2 has used 6% in 18 hours on standby - no SIM card but with WiFi running.

Seriously tempted to sell mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

marcbrophy wrote: »
    So, do we need to unlock the BootLoader to root this puppy? :)

EDIT: Just realised that we do!

Feck it anyway, just spent all morning setting this up, so that I can just drop in my SIM and be ready to go! Now I have to go through all that again :mad:
    Adb reboot-bootloader
    Fastboot oem unlock

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Tragedy wrote: »
    That's because the camera autofocused on the closer N5 I'm afraid, combined with a slightly bigger text size (the Note 2 was just factory defaulted so was running Android Browser vs Chrome on the N5!).

Mine used 10% battery in 6.5 hours on standby, with 28% going on 'google services' - the Note 2 has used 6% in 18 hours on standby - no SIM card but with WiFi running.

Seriously tempted to sell mine!
    Note 2 had a 3100mAh battery vs. the 2300mAh in the N5 so 10% vs 6% is bang on for consumption difference. The phones aren't comparable in that sense.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Note 2 had a 3100mAh battery vs. the 2300mAh in the N5 so 10% vs 6% is bang on for consumption difference. The phones aren't comparable in that sense.
    0.33% idle drain per hour on the Note 2, 1.5% per hour on the N5. 35% larger battery (but considering it's had 12 months of heavy use, I doubt it's particularly close to 3100mAh!)
    SGN2 has larger screen, but lower powered processor and lower resolution - but in Idle that shouldn't really make much of a difference?

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    Adb reboot-bootloader
    Fastboot oem unlock

;)

Oh yeah, that's the one :D

But my problem was, I wasn't thinking when I took it out of the box! I spent hours customising it and so on, forgetting that a BL unlock wipes all data :pac:

Surprisingly sturdy! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Nexarz wrote: »
    Yea you need to make a new thread, pick your contact and choose the number to sms, on the threads list there should be the name and a little sms box on the botton right corner of the contact's icon

Ya but the SMS and Hangout chats with the same person are in different threads. Bit of a pain.
    Anyway minor inconvenience for those who have the N5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Ah this is just bad form... And they'll sell them, too. Assholes.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_Nexus+5/

DECEiFER wrote: »

Those prices :O

Sad thing is, there are plenty of comments on each listing.

• Advertisement

One dodgy one with a picture of a box for a black one and description as white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Any recommendations for an app that shows notification bubbles on the app icon for mail, hangouts etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That sh1t drives me up the walls...

Miserable c*nts....

Really debating getting an N5 ATM, I have absolutely no reason to other than the N4 is the best phone I have ever owned.... :/

A fool with his money is easily parted... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

The Complete Evolution of Google's Nexus Phone...:)

daVR92d.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Meh, I don't see any issue to be fair. Top ad is for N5 32Gb for 500 quid. This costs 425 from google play when you include parcel motel costs. The mark up isn't too high and I'd imagine CPW/amazon won't be that much more expensive.

If someone is too lazy/can't be bothered to take the play store route and decide to pay the premium so be it. It's not like the sellers are flogging overpriced tickets to a sold out gig, the devices can be gotten elsewhere for cheaper if a buyer wants.

Disclaimer, I'm not selling any of the devices I got, but see no problem with those who do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

11 Android 4.4 KitKat Hidden Features! Some you may know of and some you may not...e.g. hidden easter egg! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

eddiem74 wrote: »
    The Complete Evolution of Google's Nexus Phone...:)

daVR92d.gif

Love how the screen gets bigger and bigger each time.....If you did the same with a certain Apple product I guess it would look quiet different :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

Scummy thing to do, people do it with all the latest phones. I don't know why anyone would pay anything like that, just wait for Amazon and other sites.

I want the N5 and don't want to go the Play/Parcel Motel Route, so I'll pay more, but not those prices and not from Adverts. Someone has a 16GB for €490, someone else a 32GB for €550.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Yeah man, stay away from those. Some good people will sell any extra ones at cost. Said people have mentioned doing so in the other Nexus 5 thread. Keep an eye out for people doing that because they'll go quickly.

Does anyone who received the phone have it on a network that supports 4G, in a 4G location?

Is that aspect working as expected?

Doesn't affect me yet, as I'm on Three, but just curious :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement