Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 5 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

What case are people getting I took the plunge and ordered a Spigen from amazon for little over a tenner, I want an otter box but none available yet so this with a free screen protector will do the job for a while , let's the rear be visable too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FJJ38HY/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Scummy thing to do, people do it with all the latest phones. I don't know why anyone would pay anything like that, just wait for Amazon and other sites.

I want the N5 and don't want to go the Play/Parcel Motel Route, so I'll pay more, but not those prices and not from Adverts. Someone has a 16GB for €490, someone else a 32GB for €550.
    I see nothing wrong with selling it for those prices. IMO it's just supply and demand. If someone doesn't want to; or can't be bothered jumping through the PM/Google Play hoops, then they don't have to, but they will have to pay a premium if they want a N5 now. That premium is then set by supply and demand, because there's clearly more than 1 person who wants one of these.

Once again, there's nothing stopping people waiting for Amazon or whoever to start selling them, but if they want it now and they don't have a friend who can order it for them, or they missed the boat, or whatever, they pay whatever the market sets the price at.

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

projectgtr wrote: »
    What case are people getting I took the plunge and ordered a Spigen from amazon for little over a tenner, I want an otter box but none available yet so this with a free screen protector will do the job for a while , let's the rear be visable too.

I'm not sure I like the clear back on that one. I'm worried it'll look terrible when it gets a few scratches.

My current favourite is probably this one, but I'm holding off until I see if any more come online. I had one of these for my SGS3 and it was great, I'm hoping they release one for the N5, although it's not looking likely thus far... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

projectgtr wrote: »

I ordered the below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EV8Y684/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1383744134&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Lads has the phone got a receiver for controlling TV's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Ste05 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I like the clear back on that one. I'm worried it'll look terrible when it gets a few scratches.

My current favourite is probably this one, but I'm holding off until I see if any more come online. I had one of these for my SGS3 and it was great, I'm hoping they release one for the N5, although it's not looking likely thus far... :(

I'd be in full agreement with you. People are going to pay that for novelty value or ease of getting it. They have ben on fleabay the last week for up to twice the playstore price.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cases are for wimps!

I'll probably drop mine this evening now for saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Lads has the phone got a receiver for controlling TV's?

No. It doesn't have an IR Blaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Has anyone got their nexus on 48? I cannot for the life of me get 3G to work! Tried the suggested settings, no joy... Any help would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

el_greco wrote: »
    Has anyone got their nexus on 48? I cannot for the life of me get 3G to work! Tried the suggested settings, no joy... Any help would be appreciated

Is it set to use LTE only mate? If it is turn it to 3G and restart the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

madmoe wrote: »
    Is it set to use LTE only mate? If it is turn it to 3G and restart the phone!
    Tried that all right, but no luck :-(

Tried that all right, but no luck :-(

Someone else in the main Nexus 5 thread (the ordering one) got 48 working mate! Maybe send him a PM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Evil_g wrote: »
    No. It doesn't have an IR Blaster.

Check youtube for a video of the hidden tricks with the new nexus, I'm almost sure there was something mentioned about IR blasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

bidiots wrote: »
    Check youtube for a video of the hidden tricks with the new nexus, I'm almost sure there was something mentioned about IR blasters

IR is built into 4.4 natively but N5 doesn't have it.

• Advertisement

Anyone having problems with bluetooth in their car? Mine won't load contacts to the car or allow the steering wheel controls to work to answer or hang up. Had the same issue with the Nexus 4 and it makes it useless when driving as a result...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone having problems with bluetooth in their car? Mine won't load contacts to the car or allow the steering wheel controls to work to answer or hang up. Had the same issue with the Nexus 4 and it makes it useless when driving as a result...

I use the Google car home thing on the N4, but I only have one of them rechargeable speaker yokes, not inbuilt BT stereo, but if I press the button on the speaker yoke and say call "my missus" or any contact in the phone book it just dials it, I often speak out texts if I'm busy driving aswell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Ah this is just bad form... And they'll sell them, too. Assholes.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_Nexus+5/
    As with most items on adverts, most of the comments are along the lines of "swap for a half eaten biscuit, with a shiny penny your way?".

The n5's aren't selling as soon as they're going up. And this is a time when demand far exceeds supply. As more touts get theirs and put them up, these poor unfortunates will be lucky to cover their costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Allow data roaming and you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

I got the white 32GB Nexus 5 and have to say I love it. I really like the white matt finish on the back.

Using the album art to cover the whole lock screen is a great touch too.

I have one compliant though the "OK Google" voice command only works when the language is set to US English and the screen is fully unlocked, kinda defeats the purpose of it. Anyone else have the same experience?

(O ya the lack of a FM radio is disappointing too but the Nexus line never had it for some reason)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

The Nexus doesn't have hardware built in that can listen for voice commands when the phone is sleeping. To do this without dedicated (low power) h/w could just chew up your battery big time. The moto handset can do this because it has a chip built in that can keep active even when the phone is in sleep mode.

On the FM radio - its a trend with new phones. even the s4 doesn't have an fm radio so the nexus is not alone.
    user1842 wrote: »
    I got the white 32GB Nexus 5 and have to say I love it. I really like the white matt finish on the back.

Using the album art to cover the whole lock screen is a great touch too.

I have one compliant though the "OK Google" voice command only works when the language is set to US English and the screen is fully unlocked, kinda defeats the purpose of it. Anyone else have the same experience?

(O ya the lack of a FM radio is disappointing too but the Nexus line never had it for some reason)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

One thing that I'm liking that I never thought would make a big difference is the feel of the screen, its very slippy, far more so than the Nexus 4. Makes it great for swyping text and browsing the web.
    Must be the gorilla glass 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

The screen is amazing imo. Must be the gorillas.:D

lafors wrote: »
    One thing that I'm liking that I never thought would make a big difference is the feel of the screen, its very slippy, far more so than the Nexus 4. Makes it great for swyping text and browsing the web.
    Must be the gorilla glass 3?

I have to say the screen is amazing and I came from a Nexus 4. Maybe its the new 4.4 colour scheme and icons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

user1842 wrote: »
    I have to say the screen is amazing and I came from a Nexus 4. Maybe its the new 4.4 colour scheme and icons.

It just seems, well, brighter. Find it much easier to read off. And everything looks so much prettier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Is there much of a difference from the HTC One? HTC One owners are spoiled really with their screens, and I've seen some complaints about these screens being a little washed out. I had a screen like that 3 phones back and I hated it.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Is there much of a difference from the HTC One? HTC One owners are spoiled really with their screens, and I've seen some complaints about these screens being a little washed out. I had a screen like that 3 phones back and I hated it.

It's definitely a little more washed out compared to the HTC but the difference is relatively minor. The screen is a nicer size though. I think you'd get used to it quite quickly as if anything it seems more realistic in the way it shows photos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Decided to compare the camera with my old SGS2. Both held at the same distance then zoomed in to a single key (on the phone rather than digital zoom when taking a picture).

Decided to compare the camera with my old SGS2. Both held at the same distance then zoomed in to a single key (on the phone rather than digital zoom when taking a picture).

Optical image stabilisation at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Not like for like. One is a W, while the other is clearly an N.

What do you take us for?? Idiots?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Gokei wrote: »
    Not like for like. One is a W, while the other is clearly an N.

What do you take us for?? Idiots?!?

I thought it was an M :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Has any one managed to get WhatsApp installed?

Errors out when installing from play store or side loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Anyone comment on the vibration? My phone is on silent all the time and I remember the vibration being fairly weak on the galaxy nexus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

mwrf wrote: »

I just installed it there and its working fine for me

Installed and working perfectly here mate....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

guys is anyone else using nexus on tescomobile? i'm having serious trouble with it, but I don't know if its because my number is porting from 3. At the minute i can make a call but can't receive, can use mobile data, but can't send or receive text messages.

marketty wrote: »
    guys is anyone else using nexus on tescomobile? i'm having serious trouble with it, but I don't know if its because my number is porting from 3. At the minute i can make a call but can't receive, can use mobile data, but can't send or receive text messages.

On Tesco here with my N5 and all is perfect in every way mate.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

madmoe wrote: »
    On Tesco here with my N5 and all is perfect in every way mate.

M

I reckon either TM or 3 have made a balls of porting over the number. I can't send or receive SMS, can make calls but can't receive, but mobile data is working. Weird. I've left a query on their Talk To anyway so hopefully get sorted tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Works fine for me

• Advertisement

Did a factory reset and tried installing it again. Works now. Must have been some corrupt data that WhatsApp was holding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Well lads. When I turn the phone on it says connecting to mobile data services. My sim card isn't activated yet so I presume this wont work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Well lads. When I turn the phone on it says connecting to mobile data services. My sim card isn't activated yet so I presume this wont work.

Press skip and it will move onto connecting to WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Yuuup.

If your in a wifi area you can surf via that.

I get an authentication error with the WiFi.

Edit; sorted that.

If you skip the initial mobile data set up how do you do the set up manually? Can't see it in settings.

• Advertisement

If you skip the initial mobile data set up how do you do the set up manually? Can't see it in settings.

Just add your Google account and that will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Anyone have any idea on how to turn off the shutter sound on the camera. Turning the the sound down will do it but thats not really practical. Im a smartphone noob so forgive my ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Anyone have any idea on how to turn off the shutter sound on the camera. Turning the the sound down will do it but thats not really practical. Im a smartphone noob so forgive my ignorance.
    You can do it if you're rooted by renaming the sound file but I guess you haven't rooted it?
    Other than I'm not sure you can, maybe use a different camera app like HDR Studio that let's you mute it's sound: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ht.cameraapps.LayoutActivity

Did a factory reset and tried installing it again. Works now. Must have been some corrupt data that WhatsApp was holding.

I was using the new ART runtime. That's why it wouldn't install:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=61916

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Anyone finding notifications are slow to come through? Any way of fixing this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement