Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 5 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

JKGT wrote: »
    Best I've got with full signal was 36mb down and 20 odd up..slowest with one bar is 9mb down and 3 up I'm impressed... LTE symbol is what's showing up on mine not 4G..

Impressive speeds!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Gokei wrote: »
    How long did you leave it in the rice?
    Try putting it into a sealed ziplock bag of rice and leaving it in the hot press for a couple of days.

It's been in a sealed container of rice since Sunday. I'll try it again at the weekend but I'm not getting my hopes up

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

Sh1T!!!

My N5 rebooted itself randomly a few times this week, once when I was on google now and twice when it was just sitting on a table.
    Anyone know if there is a way to fine out if this is an app (some crash monitering software or something) or if I'll have to send it back to LG?

Actually while I'm here has anyone sent a phone back to a manufacturer before? Do I do a factory reset before sending it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Aviate is good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tul.aviate

I have 3 invites left if you want one

Do you still have one left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

No, but there's an invite thread. Someone posted there couple of hours ago that they had invites left

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Does anyone suffer from the static noise/hissing when using the microphone? Here's an article on it

I have a lot of static when recording videos, it's not as bad as some others but still fairly bad especially compared to my N4. I hope it can be fixed with a software update :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Is there a task manager like on the the Galaxy S2?

I don't want to install a separate ap.

I figured it would be managed on the device itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Does anyone know if it's possible to prevent the screen turnng off when the phone is charging?

I used this function a lot on my HTC One X (driving, using phone as clock, etc.) but can't find it on the Nexus 5.

Evil_g wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to prevent the screen turnng off when the phone is charging?

I used this function a lot on my HTC One X (driving, using phone as clock, etc.) but can't find it on the Nexus 5.

settings, display, daydream, clock, when to daydream, when charging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

settings/developer options/keep screen on while charging

or use something like the tasker app to manage the display/timeout when charging
    Evil_g wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

settings, display, daydream, clock, when to daydream, when charging

Thanks but I'd already found that. I don't necessarily want the clock. I just want whatever I'm using, spotify, home screen, lockscreen, etc to stay visible.

[edit] I think I've managed to do it using tasker...but I'd have thought there'd be a simpler way. Is it to prevent screen burn perhaps?[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Is anyone else having a problem with the phone not disabling the screen when held up to your ear?

My ear seems to open the notifications bar and sometimes the settings menu, and sometimes into an option within the settings.

At this rate, I'll be mid call and my ear will have done a factory reset for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Pique wrote: »
    Is anyone else having a problem with the phone not disabling the screen when held up to your ear?

My ear seems to open the notifications bar and sometimes the settings menu, and sometimes into an option within the settings.

At this rate, I'll be mid call and my ear will have done a factory reset for me.
    Are you using a screen protector?

projectgtr wrote: »
    Are you using a screen protector?

nope.

I bit the bullet and bought a new Nexus 5 after previously dropping the last one in the toilet. It arrived the other day and I'm back up and running. I may consider accidental damage cover now.

• Advertisement

I bit the bullet and bought a new Nexus 5 after previously dropping the last one in the toilet. It arrived the other day and I'm back up and running. I may consider accidental damage cover now.

Your new one a 32GB!?

madmoe wrote: »
    Your new one a 32GB!?

No, 16. I don't need anymore storage since I use Google music to stream my music and backup photos online.

4.4.1 is now available to sideload if that's yer thing

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_hammerhead/7ed504f678cea49ecf0974e8cd956e2974e3f943.signed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6.zip

Just updated myself, hope it fixes the camera, mic issues, choppy video playback and auto brightness....might be hoping for a bit much though :D

Why not OTA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Cam does look faster and react better now with 4.4.1.

• Advertisement

4.4.1 is now available

Amy way to update without the laptop command line?

Anyone know if the update fixes the random low sound on some apps? MY ringtones and GPS are very low in volume but online videos are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Got my Ringke Slim case yesterday. I had been using the Spiegen case since launch. My god, it feels like a new phone. Spiegen case was a mistake, truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

bren2001 wrote: »
    Got my Ringke Slim case yesterday. I had been using the Spiegen case since launch. My god, it feels like a new phone. Spiegen case was a mistake, truly awful.

Have the Ringke Slim too, very nice case.

Amy way to update without the laptop command line?

You could use Wugs Nexus Toolkit if you're comfortable with that, it has an option in advanced utilities to sideload an update and is very easy once the driver setup is done, that's what I used anyway.
    god's toy wrote: »
    Anyone know if the update fixes the random low sound on some apps? MY ringtones and GPS are very low in volume but online videos are fine.

It seems to have fixed it, I could swear there's an increase in volume with ringtones, unlock/lock sounds and the speakerphone....but I could be just imagining things too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_hammerhead/7ed504f678cea49ecf0974e8cd956e2974e3f943.signed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6.zip

Just updated myself, hope it fixes the camera, mic issues, choppy video playback and auto brightness....might be hoping for a bit much though :D
    Did you lose root?

Aside - any else having probs encrypting their N5? Mine reboots but then doesn't start the process :(

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Seems to be mainly focused on the camera issues.

The mic isn't great but I would very rarely use my phone in that way - almost always use headphones.

Can't say I've had any issues with the video playback - have used rte player, sky go and youtube and found them all to come through very well (the rte app is a bit buggy but when it works the picture is excellent).

Auto brightness I've turned off, did find it a bit annoying but it's much better battery-wise to have it off anyway and just pick a level that suits you (and/or a widget for quick adjustment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Seem to have a problem with my Camera and I'm not sure what's causing it..

The screen goes black when using any camera app - SnapChat etc.. and I have to restart my phone to get it back to normal.

Anyone seen this or any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

Seem to have a problem with my Camera and I'm not sure what's causing it..

The screen goes black when using any camera app - SnapChat etc.. and I have to restart my phone to get it back to normal.

Anyone seen this or any ideas?

This has happens to me with snapchat, randomly comes and goes.

Any pics lads??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Bought the Ringke Fusion case and think it's great. Would highly recommend it.

I've the Spigen slim armour case and think it's perfect. Bit bulky but seems bullet proof. I really want the protection as a priority.

What's your complaint with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Just got a 4.4.2 update there.

Inside in the display settings there's an option to cast the screen:)

I'll try it with chromecast now.

Edit - no go sharing the screen anyway.

Just got a 4.4.2 update there.

Yep same here, Was expecting 4.4.1 but 4.4.2 is more welcome!

Restarting now :D

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12/09/sprint-says-the-nexus-5-is-getting-an-update-to-kot49h-today-but-what-happened-to-kot49e/

:eek:

Wonder if this has something to do with it:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056831806&page=121

Lock sounds are louder. Might finally be able to hear it ring outside now.

Lock sounds are louder. Might finally be able to hear it ring outside now.

Was thinking the very same. :)

Pebble watch was sure I didn't miss anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Hope to be getting one of these by the end of the week :)

Will updating to 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 effect rooting the phone? Is there much use to rooting the phone if you aren't going to be putting custom roms on it? The only utility I will want to change is the battery bar indicator*, can I do that without root

* (I hate battery bars, they tell you bugger all, I will want to have a battery number indicator in the notification area on the top of the screen, either replacing or in addition to the bar)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Inside in the display settings there's an option to cast the screen:)

I'll try it with chromecast now.

Edit - no go sharing the screen anyway.

It's for miracast which is supported in 4.2 not for chromecast.
    It's like chromecast but not chromecast. Actually it's more like WiDi (Intel's wireless display) i.e. peer to peer video link that can do 1080p....maybe more now.

I got 4.4.2 on my Nexus 10 last night but nothing on the Nexus 5 so far guys.....

Anyone who got it on the Nexus 5 is the camera better and faster??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

madmoe wrote: »
    I got 4.4.2 on my Nexus 10 last night but nothing on the Nexus 5 so far guys.....

Anyone who got it on the Nexus 5 is the camera better and faster??

also still waiting for it on my phone.

Does anyone have any ideas how to download it manually and side load it. Also, if you do that is the phone then rooted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I went to about phone in the settings and it was there to be downloaded. It has been pushed out to 100% of devices, should be there for everyone.

I went to about phone in the settings and it was there to be downloaded. It has been pushed out to 100% of devices, should be there for everyone.
    No it hasnt, 4.4.2 was on my n5 this morning, but still no sign of any update my wifes one

No it hasnt, 4.4.2 was on my n5 this morning, but still no sign of any update my wifes one

Same here.....no sign of it :-(

• Advertisement

Your system is up to date.
    Last checked for update at 09:53.

Nothing yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Same here, no updates available.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Binky Bricktop

My Nexus 5 got the update last night :D

Mine got it too.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cleared Google Services Framework and got the notification for 4.4.2 this morning. Wasn't available last night when I tried the same thing. Installing now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement