Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 5 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

5starpool wrote: »
    Cleared Google Services Framework and got the notification for 4.4.2 this morning. Wasn't available last night when I tried the same thing. Installing now.

Google doesn't seem to approve of this
    http://www.talkandroid.com/185088-google-engineer-explains-why-you-shouldnt-clear-google-services-framework-data/

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Explains why my N5 isn't showing up on my devices list on the play store then. If it is that bad an idea they should really not allow you to do it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I still haven't been prompted for 4.4.1 yet :mad:

Did anybody get this, who didn't sideload it or mess with frameworks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I still haven't been prompted for 4.4.1 yet :mad:

Did anybody get this, who didn't sideload it or mess with frameworks?

I went from 4.4 to 4.4.2 ota this morning.
    The download was there ready, waiting for my prompt to install.

Gokei wrote: »
    I went from 4.4 to 4.4.2 ota this morning.
    The download was there ready, waiting for my prompt to install.

Nice!

It must be anytime soon for the rest of us then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

there is an apk you can get to show the % in the battery itself, but u will only see a number as the power decreases...Mine is on 59% now and I can just see the top of the 5 & 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Whatsapp is now working with art......on 4.4.2 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

cdebru wrote: »
    Whatsapp is now working with art......on 4.4.2 anyway

It always worked for me on 4.4

fungie wrote: »
    It always worked for me on 4.4

With the art runtime ??

With the art runtime ??

yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

there is an apk you can get to show the % in the battery itself, but u will only see a number as the power decreases...Mine is on 59% now and I can just see the top of the 5 & 9

Do you know what its called or where I can download it from? The Play store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Can all you guys turn off your phones so I get 4.4.2 first please and thanks :)

Just got 4.4.2 there about 30 mins ago.

The speaker appears slightly louder from what I can tell :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Got it too. My phone was set up to download it only by WiFi. So switch on WiFi if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Just got 4.4.2 there about 30 mins ago.

The speaker appears slightly louder from what I can tell :pac:

I asked Andy to make this vid after he make others of this kind, it bugged the crap out of me not hearing my phone! thankfully its better now :)
    |Yes its 4.4.1 but the same thing is true for 4.4.2 as well.

god's toy wrote: »
    I asked Andy to make this vid after he make others of this kind, it bugged the crap out of me not hearing my phone! thankfully its better now :)
    |Yes its 4.4.1 but the same thing is true for 4.4.2 as well.

Least I know that I'm not hearing things anyway :D

Theres a way of getting it to work, was v easy. Ive gotten the last few updates too. No problem, been using it for 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

emo72 wrote: »
    Got it too. My phone was set up to download it only by WiFi. So switch on WiFi if you have it.

I noticed that too. It could have said so when you went in to check while on mobile data.

• Advertisement

fungie wrote: »
    Theres a way of getting it to work, was v easy. Ive gotten the last few updates too. No problem, been using it for 2 weeks

What? How?

Gokei wrote: »
    What? How?

Theres a guide on the XDA forums

Haven't bothered reading much into ART, but what are the benifits of turning it on now versus leaving dalvik as the runtime?

I don't use what'sapp anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Has anyone had any problems with the charger they received with the phone? Mine charges the phone okay but it makes a weird buzzing sound when it's plugged in and even for 10-20 seconds after it's unplugged. Discovered some others with the same issue here.

Contacted Google and they did offer a replacement but said they would have to replace the whole device, not just the charger so I don't really want to go through that whole rigmarole. I have a wireless charger which I use for the most part anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

loadwire wrote: »
    Has anyone had any problems with the charger they received with the phone? Mine charges the phone okay but it makes a weird buzzing sound when it's plugged in and even for 10-20 seconds after it's unplugged. Discovered some others with the same issue here.

Contacted Google and they did offer a replacement but said they would have to replace the whole device, not just the charger so I don't really want to go through that whole rigmarole. I have a wireless charger which I use for the most part anyway.

Mine is the same and it was the same as my nexus 4 charger... I'd imagine there all the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

JKGT wrote: »
    Mine is the same and it was the same as my nexus 4 charger... I'd imagine there all the same..

I get weird noises from various chargers, I doubt its actually an 'issue' with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I get weird noises from various chargers, I doubt its actually an 'issue' with them.

Cheers. Haven't had one do it before myself and was just a bit worried in case of fire etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yay 4.2.2

lost TWRP and root from the OTA update tho :/

but encryption is working now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Do you know what its called or where I can download it from? The Play store?

Search for Percent Enabler on playstore...Should be first one on the list.
    Sorry for delay in responding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Hi, new to this area of boards. Looking for a bit of advice.
    Im trying to buy a google nexus from england at the moment but i cant get my code from flubit.
    I sent them an email during the week asking why and thay sad they have too much of a back log of demands so they dont know when i will be able to log in.
    What i am wondering us there any other similar way to buy the nexus?
    Thanks in advance J1

• Advertisement

jersey101 wrote: »
    Hi, new to this area of boards. Looking for a bit of advice.
    Im trying to buy a google nexus from england at the moment but i cant get my code from flubit.
    I sent them an email during the week asking why and thay sad they have too much of a back log of demands so they dont know when i will be able to log in.
    What i am wondering us there any other similar way to buy the nexus?
    Thanks in advance J1

30 quid markup to get it from Amazon, but a lot less hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Does anyone know how to change the phone from using a specific application after you've selected to always use it.
    For example I've selected to always open what's app link in chrome but I would prefer firefox :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Go to settings > applications and find the app that is the default. In the settings for it you should have the option to clear defaults. That will reset the default opening thingey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Thank you very much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Loving the 4.2.2 camera is night and day compared to the old version, speakers feel so much louder too, i might be seeing things but it feels faster too, either way im not complaining :D

projectgtr wrote: »
    Loving the 4.2.2 camera is night and day compared to the old version, speakers feel so much louder too, i might be seeing things but it feels faster too, either way im not complaining :D

Yep I believe this is now what the nexus 5 experience should have been from the start.

Pity all the reviews are done and dusted as its be very interesting to see how they would rate the phone now seeing how its fixed most of the complaints.

4.4.2 has giving me the nexus of my dreams and there is little more I could want now.😀 Fantastic hardware and software combo at a fantastic price point.

looking at a google nexus on amazon. Says 4G LTE. What does this mean?? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

looking at a google nexus on amazon. Says 4G LTE. What does this mean?? thanks

That it supports 4G, the "next generation" in mobile data communications. Providing faster data speeds of about 20Mbps+.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

So my nexus 5 is on the way and I'm on three and was wondering if anyone here on three had the issues in the comment here http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/where-can-you-buy-the-nexus-5-if-youre-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

So my nexus 5 is on the way and I'm on three and was wondering if anyone here on three had the issues in the comment here http://irishtechnews.net/ITN3/where-can-you-buy-the-nexus-5-if-youre-in-ireland/
    I haven't noticed that tbh. But then I've only been in Cork and Dublin since I got it a week ago.
    In the 'schticks' this weekend, if it happens down here I'll update you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I am on 3 with a nexus 5 since launch, and before with another non 3 branded phone. I dont recall havin experienced those issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Thanks for yer replies if anyone does have any problems I'd appreciate if ye could post it up here I'll probably just stick with three and move if I have problems.

Thanks for yer replies if anyone does have any problems I'd appreciate if ye could post it up here I'll probably just stick with three and move if I have problems.

If the phone came from 3 then it would have specially written software to aggressively change back to 3 network should it fall off it. As this is a Google device it won't have this software, however google has been very good at writhing modem firmware that help make sure it switches back to a 3G signal whenever possible.
    This doesn't always work 100% But it's a lot better than it used to be.

I am on Three myself and only sometimes I have a problem if I was to go inside and back outside my work building's many times over a short time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

Hi, having some problems with my nexus 5 (rebooting itself and dropping shortcuts and homescreens), has anyone here returned their phone before? Does anyone know the procedure for a nexus? ie does it go back to LG or do I have to send it to Google?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Anybody seen any covers in stores anywhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Anybody seen any covers in stores anywhere in Dublin?

i have been looking but spotted nothing. adverts.ie is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 houseystuff

limpdd wrote: »
    Hi, having some problems with my nexus 5 (rebooting itself and dropping shortcuts and homescreens), has anyone here returned their phone before? Does anyone know the procedure for a nexus? ie does it go back to LG or do I have to send it to Google?
    Thanks.

Recently dropped mine, and cracked the glass and took a tiny chip out of the bottom of the screen at the base. I had to send it back to LG in the UK for repair. They use a company called SBE for their repairs, who luckily have an Irish office [repairs still done in UK].

Had it repaired and returned in 3 weeks.

As your issue seems software related, and not hardware - not sure who the best to contact is. But contacting SBE may be of help to find out.

Have you tried a factory reset of the phone to see if that solves the issue?

Have a nexus 5 bought it last week off amamzon. My problv

Have a nexus 5 bought it last week off amamzon. My problem is that I can't upload photos to boards from previously taken photos but will upload photos using camera at that time. Any one know why?? When I click on the photo I want to upload it says "failed to open selected file"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Have a nexus 5 bought it last week off amamzon. My problem is that I can't upload photos to boards from previously taken photos but will upload photos using camera at that time. Any one know why?? When I click on the photo I want to upload it says "failed to open selected file"

When it opens the documents app to select a photo, open the left sidebar and then pick "Gallery", pick your photo that way.

Happens to me on my N7 too.

Advertisement