Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Sociedad vs Manchester United Match Thread k/o 19.45.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wouldn't like to be going into the dressing room right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Moyes is maaad

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At least the unbeaten run continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Don't see all the fuss. A draw away in the Champions League to a Spanish team that will keep you top of the group?

And it should have been a win really, given some sitters were missed

But unconvincing. AGAIN

If this Utd turns up Sunday, Arsenal will be 11 ahead on sunday night, no doubt about it...

Evil Kagawa ‏@evilkagawa
    2 Police wait for Young to come off pitch. He being arrested for impersonating footballer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Don't see all the fuss. A draw away in the Champions League to a Spanish team that will keep you top of the group?

that match was there for the taking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Too many average players, an average manager, no ideas. United haven't been impressive for 90 minutes once this season.

Utd should have won at least 2-0

Henrnandez and RVP missed sitters they would score 999 times out of 100 and they also missed a penalty

Moyes cannot be faulted for his side tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That's grand. A draw at home to Donetsk sees us through. A result in Leverkusen should see us top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TV3 Panel we are awful to watch, no bones about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

After all is said and done, we deserved a result the. By far the better team. Controlled possession but missed some gilt edged chances.

Sociedad are bottom of that group for a reason. No ambition and cagey as **** at home when they need to get a win on the board.

I don't think Fellaini deserved a red card all up when you consider what he did. 5 fouls or so but nothing malicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The sooner Ashley Young pisses off to another club the better... I dont give a fack where he goes..
    I get high blood pressure when hes on.

He's turned into a pub team player. Looks afraid to run half the time. The side had virtually no shape whatsoever after Rooney and Chico came off. Terrible performance

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to be going into the dressing room right now...

Why would Young even care? Don't know how much he's getting paid but if he sits and thinks about it he'll probably think who gives a Fook what Moyes say to me.

Good thing Leverkusen also drew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Back four wasn't bad, apart from that everyone else was either ordinary or poor.

Chico, Giggs, Valencia, Young - ugh
    Fellaini and Kagawa weren't great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

It's a while since I've been afraid for Utd against Arsenal... 23 years maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Henrnandez and RVP missed sitters they would score 999 times out of 100 and they also missed a penalty

No he can't and guys like Valencia and Young aren't good enough for United anymore. I would like to see Zaha get a chance. Surely he deserves a go. Lots of pathetic players at the club.

Lots of lads that aren't up to standard anymore Valencia, Cleverley, Young, Anderson, Giggs etc.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Too many average players, an average manager, no ideas. United haven't been impressive for 90 minutes once this season.

The Arsenal fans have gotten brave this year. Funny that.

Doubt Roy will criticise any player with his new role now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Yet another dive by Young.

Young.gif

He has some brass neck to keep doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That was poor. Kagawa looked good when put into the central role, but with Moyes, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a shot in there again. I'm hoping he had a lightbulb going off in his head though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Compared to the Utd side with Tevez,Ronaldo et al this side are so shapeless,slow thinking and frustrating.
    We saw Kagawa play in his natural role for less than half an hr and he did several good things.
    Valencia and Young when he came on were so predictable.
    Fellaini showed again that he is not a Utd midfield general in the making.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Would Gabriel stop trying to get in the camera shot at the start of interviews? Looks pathetic.

Giggs looks very disappointed, or maybe tired from old age :P

Is the inside of Moyes jacket lines with Man United imagery?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

miralize wrote: »
    Fellaini wont be much of a loss tbh, he's anonymous.

Eh, his job is to do the dirty work that often goes unnoticed by some fans. He had a decent game tonight and put in some good tackles.

• Advertisement

Only thing I will say about the Young incident is that the player is holding him for a second. It'll impede you when you're running but if you don't go down, you don't get a decision your way.

I'd be fuming if it was given against United though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

not being Brave. just saying whats obvious. and you know its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We can afford to be brave as were currently top of the league and playing some lovely football.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We can afford to be brave as were currently top of the league and playing some lovely football.

Sure we'll see come May. Surely you see the folly of comments like that 10 games into a league season after a decade of struggling to get 4th? Surely you've learnt some humility? Evidently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only thing I will say about the Young incident is that the player is holding him for a second. It'll impede you when you're running but if you don't go down, you don't get a decision your way.

I'd be fuming if it was given against United though.

Don't see any defending it really, especially given his form when it comes to diving.

• Advertisement

Don't see any defending it really, especially given his form when it comes to diving.

His previous form is irrelevant when isolating what happened in a specific incident. It can be discussed in the abstract, and you won't see me defending Young when it comes to his overall inclination to dive.

That hold wasn't enough to bring him down. So he dived. Was it enough to prevent him from getting to the ball before the other player in a tight situation? Maybe. Would be have gotten a decision had he not gone down? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sure we'll see come May. Surely you see the folly of comments like that 10 games into a league season after a decade of struggling to get 4th? Surely you've learnt some humility? Evidently not.

Sacrifices had to be made when you build a new state of the art stadium. I am sure you would agree we did a fine job the past 10 years while off loading our best players and operating on a tight budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

That is a ****ing serious strike rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

We looked comfortable tonight again, first half was a let down with some wayward passing/lack of intensity, second half after the subs, Young, Rvp came on, the game should of been put to bed but I'll take the point and move on.
    The fixtures after the Bayer Leverkusen game looks a bit more tricky though, we need a strong team being put out in the three games (Spurs way,Everton home) and the Bayer game, hopefully the lads are up to playing the three games.

With the pen if Young doesn't go down the pen ain't being given, by the book it was a pen but yeah the over the top dive shall we say but it got what should be given if he stayed on his feet, (never would).

Just seen the gif, :o sweet baby jesus :mad:

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Sacrifices had to be made when you build a new state of the art stadium. I am sure you would agree we did a fine job the past 10 years while off loading our best players and operating on a tight budget.

And 10 games into the season you're now as confident as you've ever been going into a game against United. Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Ashley Young should't have went down even if there was, wait for it... Contact™. He's just not very good at it, he's embarrassing himself, his manager, and his teammates and it's destroying the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

No point looking for bright spots in that display, it was simply a horror show. Real Sociedad are just making up the numbers in that group and we should be ripping them to shreds. It was obvious for the entire second half that Fellaini was going to get a second yellow, a combination of slow lazy tackling and opponents that go down easily. Young should never wear the jersey again, he is a disgrace and useless. The biggest problem I have with this current team is they are horrible to watch. Even in their darkest moments in the 70/80s, United were always a good team to watch. That's the reason they have such worldwide support, its the brand of attacking flair they have traditionally played with. They won't have the worldwide support for long if they continue with this scutter.

There is a decent nucleus there of youth and experience to rebuild (De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Jones, Januzaj, Kagawa -if he stays, Rooney, RVP) but imo there are several players that simply have to be shown the door in January. Signing Fellaini gives us an insight into the kind of player Moyes appreciates, that's the scariest part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Alot of people being very precious about diving in here. It's part of the modern game and can be a necessary evil when trying to get a result. No shame in it really.

Any links of post match interviews?

nagirrac wrote: »
    They won't have the worldwide support for long if they continue with this scutter.

They could do with losing a lot of that 'worldwide support' if the atmosphere in Old Trafford is anything to go by. And I'm not being flippant. At the home-leg against Sociedad a guy tipped my brother-in-law on the shoulder and told him to stop singing. The same thing happened to my my father last year. It's a total embarrassment. My da has been at almost 600 games. The majority of them travelled to via the train and ferry. Hardcore supporter. And yet he's told to pack it in. In a football stadium. My god.

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    Alot of people being very precious about diving in here. It's part of the modern game and can be a necessary evil when trying to get a result. No shame in it really.

It's that kinda attitude that's ruining the game. We all know it happens. But to say it's a part of the game is way off the mark. Whatever you are, you're not a football fan.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    It's that kinda attitude that's ruining the game. We all know it happens. But to say it's a part of the game is way off the mark. Whatever you are, you're not a football fan.
    So is it the attitude to diving that's ruining the game or the diving itself.

I never said I think it's a good or bad thing just that in modern football diving can almost be considered a skill at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

http://bbcsporf.lockerdome.com/articles/110249820
    invBsd7MXPhhg.gif

Tom Daley set to be quaking in his speedos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Were you a product of the Marist College or De La Salle by any chance?

Ruining the game? That's Helen Lovejoy levels of hyperbole.

I mean, Young should embarrassed at how **** at it he is, but it's not even close to being a game ruiner.

Felexicon wrote: »
    So is it the attitude to diving that's ruining the game or the diving itself.

You underestimate how powerful supporters can be. Blatant, weekly cheating like that would not be tolerated in rugby because the fans would not accept it. It exists top-down in professional football because there is no opposition to it from the bottom-up.

Ruining the game? That's Helen Lovejoy levels of hyperbole.

I mean, Young should embarrassed at how **** at it he is, but it's not even close to being a game ruiner.

Professional footballers' cheating is ruining professional football. That's not hyperbole.

Professional footballers' cheating is ruining professional football. That's not hyperbole.

Of course it is. Ruining it for who? Not me anyway. The sport grows more popular every year which suggests that diving is not ruining football for most people that watch it. People's favourite players are the likes of Ronaldo, Bale, Gerrard, Rooney, who all like a dive. So essentially, it's running it for you. That's called hyperbole.

You underestimate how powerful supporters can be. Blatant, weekly cheating like that would not be tolerated in rugby because the fans would not accept it. It exist top-down in professional football because there is no opposition to it from the bottom-up.
    While diving would obviously not be tolerated in rugby (not sure how you could dive anyway)there are many "dark arts" that are encouraged at scrum and breakdown time. One of the best at stretching the rules is Richie McCaw and he's considered one of the best backrows of all time so your comparison is slightly wide of the mark

• Advertisement

Hate the Rugby argument. It's a different sport. Some of the cheating that goes on there wouldn't be tolerated in a self policing sport like golf. But who cares because it's a different sporty with different things to enjoy?

Advertisement