Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yamaha DT 125

• 04-11-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hello

I bought this bike planning on maybe restoring it I'm quite aware it will take a lot of work but I think it's worth a try you never know. What I'd like to know where about is the vin number on it i would like to try and figure out what year it is. And pretty much any other information would be useful also were would it be possible to get a replacement tank as this ones a bit rough

thank you in advanced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

On the right side of the engine there will be a number just inside the clutch cover under the carb that has the engine number on it. Also there should be a number on the frame usually on the headstock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Looks like the 80 model I had.......

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

best of luck with the restoration, keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bonelessbread

So i got the number off of the side of the frame it is a 9 digit number i have searched online and i cant figure out how to decode it does anyone know how to do this

I'll keep posting pictures to keep people updated if anyone is interested ill post better pictures tomorrow

Well i found out that it is a yamaha dt 125 mx but i cant find out the year of the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Taken from eBay:
    The 10th digit in a 17 digit V.I.N. or frame number represents the year of your ATV, motorcycle, or car.

A = 1980 B = 1981 C = 1982 D = 1983 E = 1984 F = 1985 G = 1986 H = 1987
    J = 1988 K = 1989 L = 1990 M = 1991 N = 1992 P = 1993 R = 1994 S = 1995
    T = 1996 V = 1997 W = 1998 X = 1999 Y = 2000 1 = 2001 2 = 2002 3 = 2003
    4 = 2004 5 = 2005 6 = 2006 7 = 2007 8 = 2008 9 = 2009 A=2010

Cars and trucks use the same codes.
    The frame numbers on 4-wheelers can usually be found on the lower left frame rail. Some Suzuki ATV frame numbers are located on the rear frame rail. Some newer Honda ATV frame numbers are located in the front, on a flat plate behind the bumper. Most dirt bike frame numbers are on the steering neck below the handlebars.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Find-the-year-of-your-motorcycle-or-ATV-w-VIN-number-/10000000017636650/g.html

What is the first part of the VIN code? Yamaha usually use a Number and then 2/3 letters
    That VIN decoder from Ebay is not correct for Yamaha

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What is the first part of the VIN code? Yamaha usually use a Number and then 2/3 letters
    That VIN decoder from Ebay is not correct for Yamaha

No? I thought it worked for all pre 1980 bikes? My bad if not!

the first part of the code is 2A8 i figured out that this means the model of the bike which is dt 125 mx

Its a 1980 model DT125MX
    You might be better to take the serial # off your post, just for safeties sake.

• Advertisement

Seems like your going to spend a lot of money on a not too desirable bike IMO.....
    Heres a 95 one........
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-dt-125g/5655014

In fairness those little DT's are getting more collectable as is most 2 stroke stuff.
    They are simple machines and easy to work for the most part.
    Anything aircooled is usually pretty reliable as there is a lot less to go wrong.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    In fairness those little DT's are getting more collectable as is most 2 stroke stuff.
    They are simple machines and easy to work for the most part.
    Anything aircooled is usually pretty reliable as there is a lot less to go wrong.

True.....but i saw a pair in Stafford two weeks ago for £300.......one was running, the guy had it started in front of us....
    You could spend a over grand easy on the op's bike ....and end up selling it for 800......:o

No offence OP..........i'll leave it at that...;)

Its a 1980 model DT125MX
    You might be better to take the serial # off your post, just for safeties sake.
    do you mean its a 1980's model or that the year in fact is 1980?
    No offence OP..........i'll leave it at that...
    no offence taken i really dont mind what people say I'm here for some insite and i kind of no it's abit of a heap only a bit thought XD i only really bought the bike to learn about them only set me back 120 euro

I'll be having a proper look at it tomorrow and ill post better pictures

i kind of no it's abit of a heap only a bit thought XD i only really bought the bike to learn about them only set me back 120 euro

:D..........we've all bought heaps in our time....i've got more t-shirts than most.....:P

:D..........we've all bought heaps in our time....i've got more t-shirts than most.....:P

XD the engine runs I guess that's a good thing I'm currently using a ballygowen bottle with petrol in it to run it XD

XD the engine runs I guess that's a good thing I'm currently using a ballygowen bottle with petrol in it to run it XD

Hope theres 2 stroke oil in it too............;)

Hope theres 2 stroke oil in it too............;)

actually theres an oil tank also just put new oil into it today and it starts on the first kick every time
    someone tried to solder the tank i think so i took it off and the holes are alot worst than i thought i might be able to weld them heres hoping

here is some better pictures of it

do you mean its a 1980's model or that the year in fact is 1980?
    The year is 1980.

• Advertisement

Jesus.thats a lot of rust......hope you have deep pockets.:D....are you planning on a complete resto or just fix the important bits..???.lookin at the pix, you'd need to strip it completely and check the frame...i'm seein a hole in the back seat loop....

Jesus.thats a lot of rust......hope you have deep pockets.:D....are you planning on a complete resto or just fix the important bits..???.lookin at the pix, you'd need to strip it completely and check the frame...i'm seein a hole in the back seat loop....

Yup alot of rust on it XD i was planning on that hopefully but if i cant ill just use it for messing around with yup to holes actually

one thing i forgot to mention i didn't get a log book with the bike how would i go about getting on i'll tro up a few more close up pictures tomorrow

Yup alot of rust on it XD i was planning on that hopefully but if i cant ill just use it for messing around with yup to holes actually

one thing i forgot to mention i didn't get a log book with the bike how would i go about getting on i'll tro up a few more close up pictures tomorrow

Print out this form.. http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,497,en.pdf then fill it out and get the guards to sign it, you should be able to complete the change of ownership then.

Shannon will ring the previous owner to make sure it was sold, or if you have him number see if you can get the log book off him if he has it?

Print out this form.. http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,497,en.pdf then fill it out and get the guards to sign it, you should be able to complete the change of ownership then.

Shannon will ring the previous owner to make sure it was sold, or if you have him number see if you can get the log book off him if he has it?

Thanks just looked at the form there it is asking for the registration of the bike only problem is it didn't have any on it when i got it and the previous owner didn't have a logbook and he said that the person he bought it off also didn't have one

Thanks just looked at the form there it is asking for the registration of the bike only problem is it didn't have any on it when i got it and the previous owner didn't have a logbook and he said that the person he bought it off also didn't have one

Is the bike registered? You'll have to find out, if it is you'll have to track down the registration number otherwise you'll have to register it.

Not sure how to check tbh, maybe if you ring up Shannon? give them the frame number and see if its registered?

Is the bike registered? You'll have to find out, if it is you'll have to track down the registration number otherwise you'll have to register it.

Not sure how to check tbh, maybe if you ring up Shannon? give them the frame number and see if its registered?
    I wouldn't know if it is registered truthfully I'd imagine it is if it was on the road at one point god knows when the last time it hit the road I'll give them a ring and ill find out hopefully i can get it sorted

MMMM........a lot of "field bikes" were probably stolen....just be careful, find out everything before you start spending money on it...it might be taken off you...;)

MMMM........a lot of "field bikes" were probably stolen....just be careful, find out everything before you start spending money on it...it might be taken off you...;)

Well i won't do any more on the bike till i get this sorted so how would i go about
    finding this out any help would be appreciated

Advertisement