Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham Hocks north county dublin?

Options
  • 04-11-2013 11:25pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any suggestions on stockists where I can pick up a couple of these?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you asked in JC's? They should have plenty since their hams are on special offer at the moment. I find the butchers very helpful and if they have none of what you want they'll usually order them in for you.

I'm moving this to the DCN forum since it's area specific.

Edit: I see you had a thread in here already so I'll delete it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you asked in JC's? They should have plenty since their hams are on special offer at the moment.
    I'm moving this to the DCN forum since it's area specific.

You'll kill me, I've started a thread there already about JCs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lol, don't worry about it :)

Mind you, don't look at the calendar before you approach the butchers - you'll never be able to keep a straight face! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Des Byrne is Skerries does ham hocks. Probably worth calling first to make sure he has them in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Whats so special about ham hocks? I saw the Aldi ones with a sachet of honey and a separate sachet of herbs but couldn't figure out what the end product was supposed to be, some sort of a seasonal ham dish the same way corned beef makes an appearance in the run up to Xmas?

Ben

Ham hocks are flavoursome as the leg muscles of the pig are particularly well used. They are also a relatively cheap cut because the meat is tougher than, say, a joint of bacon.

Boiled or braised ham hocks are great for ham & pea soups, coddle, etc, or served with spuds, cabbage & a parsley sauce.

I prefer mine as a pork hock (schweinshaxe) - unbrined, skin-on & cooked long & slow in the oven, served with sauerkraut, raw horseradish, crusty bread & beer. Food of the Gods!
    Schweizerhaus04.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've a recipe for slow cooked ham hocks with red cabbage and sweet potatoe mash that I want to try :)

Be sure to share here. ;)

• Advertisement

I got ham shanks in JCs it's the same cut isn't it? One is front and one is rear leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Stheno wrote: »
    I got ham shanks in JCs it's the same cut isn't it? One is front and one is rear leg?

Ham is always only the hind legs, the rest of pig cured, is bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Be sure to share here. ;)

Or just invite us along .ill bring a nice white

cathy01 wrote: »
    Or just invite us along .ill bring a nice white

There will be none left soon :D

I slow cooked the ham overnight so it fell off the bone when I went to remove the skin this evening.

Then added a shredded red cabbage, one onion, four cloves of garlic, some raisins, cimmamon, nutmeg, thyme, white vinegar and vegetable stock.

Another four hours in the slow cooker, and OMG the deliciousness. ( I just had a taster you understand, I was out for dinner tonight)

I suspect it's like ham baked in cola, it's sweet but savoury, and incredibly rich, and kind of tangy, the taste stays in your mouth (I'd one forkful five minutes ago and am still going "YUM")

It's just delicious, as an independant taster, I used the OH who is a "maaate and potatoes" type creature, and he thought it was lovely, and believe me he is slow to praise what he does not like. The ham is so tender that picking it up with a fork literally causes it to fall apart :D

It's tomorrows dinner with sweet potato mash and sauteed greens, and I shall be posting it in the dinner thread.

But for now :) See the pic to whet your appetites :)

Edit: Cathy, for me, it must be a robust red :D

Ham is always only the hind legs, the rest of pig cured, is bacon

In Jcs tonight I asked for ham hocks, they have pork hocks but not ham

The butcher said hocks are front legs, shanks are back?

Dinner for menus often a bowl of special k.
    If love it , I'd even just lick your lips for a taste
    Ill try it one day.

Stheno wrote: »
    There will be none left soon :D

I slow cooked the ham overnight so it fell off the bone when I went to remove the skin this evening.

Then added a shredded red cabbage, one onion, four cloves of garlic, some raisins, cimmamon, nutmeg, thyme, white vinegar and vegetable stock.

Another four hours in the slow cooker, and OMG the deliciousness. ( I just had a taster you understand, I was out for dinner tonight)

I suspect it's like ham baked in cola, it's sweet but savoury, and incredibly rich, and kind of tangy, the taste stays in your mouth (I'd one forkful five minutes ago and am still going "YUM")

It's just delicious, as an independant taster, I used the OH who is a "maaate and potatoes" type creature, and he thought it was lovely, and believe me he is slow to praise what he does not like. The ham is so tender that picking it up with a fork literally causes it to fall apart :D

It's tomorrows dinner with sweet potato mash and sauteed greens, and I shall be posting it in the dinner thread.

But for now :) See the pic to whet your appetites :)

Edit: Cathy, for me, it must be a robust red :D

That amount of red cabbage .emmmmm your brave .....very brave.
    I'd say we will have a few new treads asking about wavins Syrians again after that cabbage :-))))

That amount of red cabbage .emmmmm your brave .....very brave.
    I'd say we will have a few new treads asking about wavins Syrians again after that cabbage :-))))

What in the name of God is Wavins Syrians?

There is enough in that pot to feed six people with mash and a side of greens :) So not that much really, probably a portion of veg/fruit per person ref the cabbage :D

Dinner for menus often a bowl of special k.
    If love it , I'd even just lick your lips for a taste
    Ill try it one day.

:eek:

That looks and sounds delicious :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement