Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of starting a pension

Options
  • 05-11-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Was thinking of signing up to a personal pension fund / scheme, I know nowt about this field, any suggestions or things I should look out for?

Thanks
    Ali

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Hi Folks,

Was thinking of signing up to a personal pension fund / scheme, I know nowt about this field, any suggestions or things I should look out for?

Thanks
    Ali

Fees. They can eat up a good chunk of your gains.
    I'd suggest an independent financial advisor who'd come highly recommended if you know nothing about the field. It's bloody hard enough to navigate when you've a small understanding.
    Also read the fine print of everything before you sign anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Scortho wrote: »
    Fees. They can eat up a good chunk of your gains.
    I'd suggest an independent financial advisor who'd come highly recommended if you know nothing about the field. It's bloody hard enough to navigate when you've a small understanding.
    Also read the fine print of everything before you sign anything.

Nice one, will take that on board.

Was thinking of sticking a few quid aside each month but I know little about the possible pit falls. Have recently packed in the smokes so wanted to put the extra dosh to good use :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Nice one, will take that on board.

Was thinking of sticking a few quid aside each month but I know little about the possible pit falls. Have recently packed in the smokes so wanted to put the extra dosh to good use :)

There's tax relief available on pension contributions (a great way to reduce your income tax bill).
    I'd start with this. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/pensions/personal_pensions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, are you in employment at the moment and if so, does your employer offer the ability to put money aside for a personal PRSA or is there a company pension fund and if there is a company pension fund, are you able to make additional voluntary contributions (AVC).

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Consumerhelp.ie have a good starter section on pensions. See here and also the pension links on the left-side menu bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I would highly recommend Liam D. Ferguson here on boards who is a pension expert. You should send him a PM.

Advertisement