Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Cider help

Options
  • 05-11-2013 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hello all.
    New on here and new to home brewing,
    any way I recently just finished my first batch of turbo cider using a Pat macks brewing cap .

however its not as nice as I expected, the taste is fine, but its got a slightly yeasty smell to the drink.

my method was as follows.

1.5 litres of cheap apple juice ( clear from concentrate)
    1/2 a cup of sugar
    and a pat macks brewing cap

I left it for 6 days in the hot press and then left it for 3 days in the fridge to clear up. but im still left with a yeast filled cloudy drink, I dont mind the cloudyness so much but if its something I can fix then I'd like to.

any tips , suggestions or useful trick i'm missing would be greatly appreciated. :)

many thanks in advance
    P

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Time is your best bet. Put it away somewhere cool and dark for six months and have another taste then.

Using a not-from-concentrate juice, no sugar and a proper cider yeast will get you better results. Like most things, the more time and effort you put in the better your results will be.

When a product promises to make home brewing quick and simple it's usually compromising something, usually the quality of the drink. It's worth putting the effort in to learn a few basics, and especially with something as straightforward as cider: good quality juice, yeast, and patience will make the best cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

1.5 litres of cheap apple juice ( clear from concentrate)

I never found this to taste any good, even after a long time in the bottle. It really is worth paying the small bit extra for the cloudy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

BeerNut wrote: »
    Time is your best bet. Put it away somewhere cool and dark for six months and have another taste then.

Using a not-from-concentrate juice, no sugar and a proper cider yeast will get you better results. Like most things, the more time and effort you put in the better your results will be.

When a product promises to make home brewing quick and simple it's usually compromising something, usually the quality of the drink. It's worth putting the effort in to learn a few basics, and especially with something as straightforward as cider: good quality juice, yeast, and patience will make the best cider.

ok, thats helps a good bit, may I ask why no sugar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

There is enough natural sugar in the apple juice to produce cider of around 5%. Some people add honey or other fruits (see other threads on that) that will also increase alcohol content.

Advertisement