Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd situation.

Options
  • 05-11-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the story with this is. I googled it, but I am not getting any specific answers to my particular issue, perhaps someone here could answer.

I was renting an apartment from a woman through a letting agent for 3 years. Last June I was told the woman wanted us out of the apartment within the month. The letting agent informed us the woman's ex husband had an apartment a block over from where we were that was becoming vacant and was nearly 100e cheaper, so we came over to this one.

I put a post redirect on the mail from the old apartment to this one and last week I got post addressed to the old address and opened the surprisingly thick envelope with stated it was from Sherry Fitzgerald and that they were now dealing with the apartment for one of the banks, it had gone into receivership. It informed me that I was okay to remain living at that apartment, but that my rent would now go to them and that they would look after any issues and asked for my bank details to withdraw the rent from.

Within the week I have received 3 similar letters, becoming seemingly more urgent, asking me to ring them and respond to their letters, and that they had called twice to the old apartment last week, but no one was home.

Do I contact them and say I am not there? I am not in the mood to waste phone credit because the landlord is too incompetent/conniving to do it herself, and of course I am terrified that now there will be a similar situation with where I am living now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Write back to them informing them that you were asked to move out of that apartment on X date and to kindly refrain from sending any further letters to you.

As for the likelihood that the ex husband may follow his ex wife into receivership - you could keep an eye on the vision-net website, which publishes this information on a weekly basis. (http://www.vision-net.ie/)
    Oftentimes a receiver would be very happy to have tenants in situ as there is a regular income from the property and they get to manage that income.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

just ignore the letter. you don't live in that apartment so you don't have to concern yourself with their letter as your not paying rent on it.

Not your problem the LL hasn't updated them on whos actually renting the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,966 ✭✭✭✭listermint

D3PO wrote: »
    just ignore the letter. you don't live in that apartment so you don't have to concern yourself with their letter as your not paying rent on it.

Not your problem the LL hasn't updated them on whos actually renting the place.

Isnt it just a tad easier to respond telling them you dont live there anymore.

Whats to be gained from completely ignoring it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If its addressed to you then write back informing them that you no longer live there.

Its a general letter (addressed to "The Occupier" or something like that) then ignore it.

djimi wrote: »
    If its addressed to you then write back informing them that you no longer live there.

Its a general letter (addressed to "The Occupier" or something like that) then ignore it.

why should they write back to them ? They don't live there its not for them to waste their time and money in correcting the details for the EA.

• Advertisement

why should they write back to them ? They don't live there its not for them to waste their time and money in correcting the details for the EA.

Dont write back then if you dont want to. Send them an email if you dont want to spend 60c. Or ignore it altogether. Whatever.

Dont write back then if you dont want to. Send them an email if you dont want to spend 60c. Or ignore it altogether. Whatever.

I just don't believe in doing other peoples work for them. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Its hardly a massive inconvience to write someone back to inform them that their details are incorrect, especially if they have written to you personally, but each to their own I guess. Especially when they have contacted you several times and believe that you owe them money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Courtesy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Back to the original question: why did the letting agent get involved on getting OP to move from one property to another, apparently at the wish of OP's landlady? I suspect that it was not done for OP's benefit.

Was the paperwork properly done - one lease terminated with refund of deposit, and new lease signed? Did OP note the name of the landlord? I suspect that, whatever name appears on the lease, OP's original landlady is the beneficial owner of this new property.

• Advertisement

odds_on wrote: »
    Courtesy?
    In this day and age?

In this day and age?

Why not? What does it cost to send a quick email?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Back to the original question: why did the letting agent get involved on getting OP to move from one property to another, apparently at the wish of OP's landlady? I suspect that it was not done for OP's benefit.

Was the paperwork properly done - one lease terminated with refund of deposit, and new lease signed? Did OP note the name of the landlord? I suspect that, whatever name appears on the lease, OP's original landlady is the beneficial owner of this new property.

I have never met my landlady, only her agent. All correspondence have always been through her. She did not even give the proper notice, it was really a case of vacate the property ASAP.

My deposit was handed back to the land agent, who subsequently took that and a months rent on the signing of the new lease for the apartment owned by the landlady's ex husband. (not sure are they actually separated, not too bothered either tbh). The original apartment was in the name of both of the according to the letter and details from Sherry Fitzgerald. This apartment is registered with the PRTB to just the husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

The OP has stated that they are terrified. The situation is obviously bothering them enough to start a thread, so it all depends whether or not their peace of mind is worth the cost of a phone call or letter.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I have never met my landlady, only her agent. All correspondence have always been through her. She did not even give the proper notice, it was really a case of vacate the property ASAP.

My deposit was handed back to the land agent, who subsequently took that and a months rent on the signing of the new lease for the apartment owned by the landlady's ex husband. (not sure are they actually separated, not too bothered either tbh). The original apartment was in the name of both of the according to the letter and details from Sherry Fitzgerald. This apartment is registered with the PRTB to just the husband.
    It looks as if you have a reasonably secure position, and it seems that what you were told in order to induce you to transfer from one property to the other was largely true.

I would guess that your landlady and her husband saw it as being to their advantage if the surrendered property was vacant and/or the husband having a reliable tenant was a good thing.

The couple might be trying to be clever and stay one step ahead of their creditors, but that's not your problem.
    Why not? What does it cost to send a quick email?
    I wouldn't begrudge the cost of a phone call or a stamp, but I'm old enough to remember the concept of courtesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

In this day and age?
    Exactly. Courtesy is something sadly lacking in this country in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

The OP has stated that they are terrified. The situation is obviously bothering them enough to start a thread, so it all depends whether or not their peace of mind is worth the cost of a phone call or letter.

So they logon to the interwebs to waste energy on it instead?

The bank don't know they are moving out - its not doing some elses jobs. A quick email to the bank and it's sorted. Simple courtesy. In fact, play it right and they could stay in the existing flat (if they want to).

TBH the whole post could have been resolved in 30 seconds with a simple txt. Phone call would not break the bank either. Or just write on the envelope that the recepiant no longer lives here and pop it (free of charge) in the nearest postbox. Why people create a drama out of nothing I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

micosoft wrote: »
    So they logon to the interwebs to waste energy on it instead?

The bank don't know they are moving out - its not doing some elses jobs. A quick email to the bank and it's sorted. Simple courtesy. In fact, play it right and they could stay in the existing flat (if they want to).

TBH the whole post could have been resolved in 30 seconds with a simple txt. Phone call would not break the bank either. Or just write on the envelope that the recepiant no longer lives here and pop it (free of charge) in the nearest postbox. Why people create a drama out of nothing I don't know.

Because I am unsure on how to deal with this. It was a simple question as I am not very knowledgeable with this sort of thing. It was addressed to me personally and I was genuinely concerned that because it is a legal matter, there would be complications. Also 3 letters in 7 days is a bit worrying.

Also as stated, I am now worried that I could receive a similar letter regarding my current home. It being in the middle of school year and with two young children and a partner in a difficult college course, worrying about losing the roof over our heads and the fact that all good apartments are snapped up in minutes these days is terrifying.

As stated, I researched before creating the thread as I did not wish to waste time.

I rang the number given and left a message.

Advertisement