Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver blaring car horn every morning

Options
  • 05-11-2013 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

Our estate has a mix of houses and apartment blocks. Private estate but it's not gated.

Every single Monday to Friday at 6:40am a man and his little Toyota Yaris drives in, stops outside our apartment block and blares the horn twice. He is collecting one of the residents here, they probably work together.

Driving me mad :mad:
    My upstairs neighbour was cursing in frustration and that woke him up too, I could hear him banging around.

Now I know one solution is to go outside and confront him but I passed the car morning when I needed to get an early taxi to work and the lad is an 18 stone monster, call me a coward so. And he doesn't look the type who would listen if I politely asked. A bouncer look about him

I could go to the management agent and get them to warn the resident to sort this out.

My question is has the driver actually done anything wrong? It's 6:40 am every morning give or take a few minutes. Blares it if he's kept waiting so if the resident is slow he'll keep doing it again. 7 times this morning! Is there something I can give to the management agent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Could you intercept your neighbour on their way out to the car and have a word with them about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Say it to the guy he's collecting if your too much of a yellow belly to confront a Yaris driver.
    Just suggest he calls his mobile when he's there rather than waking up the neighbourhood. Shouldn't be any bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Could do Chat but I'd need to go outside. All flats are duplex (think that's the word?) so they have their own door. There are no interior corridors.

So I'd be pretty much outside by the car to get him. Could do it I suppose. I don't actually know which flat he is in, just the block

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Just say you have a baby and he's waking them up every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Can't stand people who do this, in an age where everyone has a mobile phone its lazy and rude. If you do talk to this person, remind him its against the law!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

A car horn should never be used in the manner the yob is using it and not before 7am if I recall. It's for emergency use only, not to avoid exercising his fat ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If its bothering you so much just go down and ask him to stop. You're not going to sort the problem by complaining about him to yourself through closed curtains...

• Site Banned Posts: 64 ✭✭Rick Rod

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Our estate has a mix of houses and apartment blocks. Private estate but it's not gated.

Every single Monday to Friday at 6:40am a man and his little Toyota Yaris drives in, stops outside our apartment block and blares the horn twice. He is collecting one of the residents here, they probably work together.

Driving me mad :mad:
    My upstairs neighbour was cursing in frustration and that woke him up too, I could hear him banging around.

Now I know one solution is to go outside and confront him but I passed the car morning when I needed to get an early taxi to work and the lad is an 18 stone monster, call me a coward so. And he doesn't look the type who would listen if I politely asked. A bouncer look about him

I could go to the management agent and get them to warn the resident to sort this out.

My question is has the driver actually done anything wrong? It's 6:40 am every morning give or take a few minutes. Blares it if he's kept waiting so if the resident is slow he'll keep doing it again. 7 times this morning! Is there something I can give to the management agent?
    Call the guards. Beeping like this is illegal. Have a squad car waiting for him. They will have a word and stop this nonsense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

How big can he be if hes driving a yaris?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Rick Rod wrote: »
    Call the guards. Beeping like this is illegal. Have a squad car waiting for him. They will have a word and stop this nonsense

I think you over estimate how proactive the Guards are.
    OP just talk to the guy. Most people are reasonable. It probably never even occurred to him that he was bothering anyone.
    If he is 18stone he won't get out of a Yaris too quickly anyway:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Just say it to the guy in the car.

He obviously doesn't think he's doing anything wrong and will continue to think so until someone says it to him.

Just go out and be nice, in fairness it's really early to be honking the horn so he should get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Like everyone else has said. Talk to him. A phone call and a hang up should be all it takes to get your neighbor out to the car waiting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

just because he's 18 stone and looks likes a bouncer doesn't mean he's unapproachable.
    what do you think he'll do to you?
    just ask him nicely to stop, i mean if he picks up some other person every morning, surely he knows the car is out there and doesn't need to be reminded.

and a yaris:rolleyes: what's to be afraid of?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

sonandheir wrote: »
    Just say you have a baby and he's waking them up every morning.

Why lie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think you over estimate how proactive the Guards are. ...
    Reactive - responding to a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

mathepac wrote: »
    Why lie?

Exactly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thanks all, yeah was just overthinking it I guess

I'll say it nice & friendly like tomorrow morning and see how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

In for when car horn guy and friend go crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Just ask yourself "What would Nidge do"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Had a guy used to come into our estate at 7am every morning absolutely blaring jungle music. I mean it was insanely loud, like a concert going on. Would sit there for a while until one of the neighbours came out and got in and off they went. Every single morning.

Yeah, just be nice about it OP. You've every right to tell this guy to shut the eff up but that rarely works. Just ask him if he wouldn't mind as it wakes you up every morning, like he's doing you a favour or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

In for when car horn guy and friend go crazy.

ditto - in for "car horn guy" going crazy all over yo ass! lol

the only danger with approaching him "nicely" is that if he doesnt take it kindly then you will be forced to report it to the guards and at that stage he's gonna know it was you!

i would go straight to the guards and avoid the confrontation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The guards are not a substitute Mammy. Don't waste their time with something as easily fixed as this.

Just go and say it to them face to face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would assume the first question the Garda would ask is 'Have you spoken to the chap?'.
    Most people are not psychopaths and would not react badly to someone making a reasonable request if done in a non aggressive non confrontational manner.
    If the guy does react badly just walk away no harm done. Was the OP then to report it do we honestly think the man would be all out for revenge for having a Garda ask him to stop beeping his horn at 6:30? It is hardly capital offence witness protection stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Most people are not psychopaths and would not react badly to someone making a reasonable request if done in a non aggressive non confrontational manner.

yeh, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek :-)

i just have a comedy picture of "car horn guy" squeezing out of this yaris and towering above OP!

i would personally shout from my window and hope they get the message (would go down the next morning if they didnt get the message) - all non-confrontational like

or i'd just drop a note into my neighbours apartment.

or erect a temporary sign where he parks which reads "Please DO NOT Beep Car Horn before 9am"

and "Most people are" sensible enough to realise beeping your car at 06:30 in the morning is unacceptable so clearly we are dealing with someone who has little regard for "reasonable" behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Could you intercept your neighbour on their way out to the car and have a word with them about it?
    Triangla wrote: »
    Just say it to the guy in the car.

He obviously doesn't think he's doing anything wrong and will continue to think so until someone says it to him.

Just go out and be nice, in fairness it's really early to be honking the horn so he should get the message.

Just go out and ask them to not beep to get the attention of someone, ask them to make a missed call, some people will listen, others will agree and privately tell you to fcuk off, others will refuse.

If you take the polite route first, then if they are difficult then go to the Gardai, and if thats the case, I'd try get another neighbour onside for such a complaint.

All the same, I sympathise with the OP, having put up with a similar thing, except it was a number of people in the house and it seemed every other person was getting a lift off a different person, going in different directions presumably? whatever it was, its pretty inconsiderate to go around beeping at all hours or even during the day because someone is too lazy to get their fat arse out of the car seat, I can see why the driver wouldn't want to stop for long if picking someone up, but why they dont just tell the person they are giving a lift to be ready, give them a missed call and there is no requirement to wake or disturb the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Mousewar wrote: »
    Had a guy used to come into our estate at 7am every morning absolutely blaring jungle music.

Was it Fr Fintan Stack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Don't bother calling the Gardai they won't deal with it. The Environmental Officer at the local council is the relevant contact point.
    Noisy neighbour Complaint

My neighbour in a private owner-occupied house is making noise.

Section 108 of the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992 allows individuals to take private action through the District Court should they find the noise to be “so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times that it gives you reasonable cause for annoyance".

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/AIRQUALITYMONITORINGANDNOISECONTROL/NOISEPOLLUTION/Pages/NoisyNeighbourComplaint.aspx

Talk to your neighbour and ask them to stop and if they don't file a complaint to the district court (€15 processing fee).

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/AIRQUALITYMONITORINGANDNOISECONTROL/NOISEPOLLUTION/Pages/NoisyNeighbourComplaint.aspx

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/Environment/Miscellaneous/FileDownLoad,1319,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

What does the rules of the road say about sounding your horn?

Ans. You should not sound your horn between the hours of 11:00pm and 7:00am except in an emergency.
    Unless it is an emergency he shouldn't use the horn before 7am. Have a word with him and point this out to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

puss wrote: »
    What does the rules of the road say about sounding your horn?

Ans. You should not sound your horn between the hours of 11:00pm and 7:00am except in an emergency.
    Unless it is an emergency he shouldn't use the horn before 7am. Have a word with him and point this out to him.

That would be a sure way of pissing him off. Again, just ask him nicely not to do it. Save the Rules of the Road talk if you have to go down an official route on it.

Advertisement