Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

relocating to ireland/permies

Options
  • 05-11-2013 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi, I am new here...I am looking to relocate to ireland in the next 6 months, I have been living abroad for a long time and think with the crisis i may just be able to buy an old cottage with some land. I am very interested in permaculture and bushcraft....been an organic gardener all my life and love plants....I would love to :) find somewhere with neighbours interested in one of the above at least....any tips on permie hotspots or organic smallholdings? Cloughjourdan eco village looks ideal but way out of my price range. If anyone can point me in the right direction /or know of anywhere for sale even i would greatly appreciate it. many thanks :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

There's some bargains around here (Clare) at the moment & there's quite a few of your sort of people around in E.Clare (Irish Seed Savers /CELT etc)! Have a word with Steve Symes who is an environmentalist & runs Green Valley Properties (I dealt with him when I bought my place, an old cottage), he's very helpful!:

http://www.gvp.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

Thanks jim i will chase that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

West Cork is also worth a look. Roughly how much are you looking to spend?

I would love west cork/kerry but out of my budget....i only will have 30k or so....i don't mind renovating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Would have to second getting in touch with Green Valley Properties in Clare.
    Another county worth having a look at is Co .Leitrim!

The Organic Centre is based there and a lot of people who are interested in organic farming have bought in the county! Really nice county and for the most part escaped the ravages of "The Celtic Tiger"
    http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/

• Advertisement

thanks sundew , i had a look up there but the couple of degrees you might get further south may make a difference....but i will relook there. i tried the clare site but nothing in my budget sadly....

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

There must be €30k properties around now surely?

cambasque wrote: »
    thanks sundew , i had a look up there but the couple of degrees you might get further south may make a difference....but i will relook there. i tried the clare site but nothing in my budget sadly....

Well in fairness 30k in Clare wouldn't go far but certainly worth keeping an eye on local estate agents and newspapers. Sometimes the little gems that pop up now and then can't be found online! best of luck with your search :)

because i am not living here yet i have to watch from afar online.....a couple i have spotted around 25/30k but i have been outbid each time....:mad:

Jim Martin wrote: »
    There must be €30k properties around now surely?

Ah well of course there is but you would need an extra few quid to throw into them! e.g
    http://www.irishstonehouses.ie/new07.htm

Have to say I would imagine if you had the cash to restore the old cottage to it's former glory ....it would be very quaint and beautiful. BarleyCove is one of my favourite places in Ireland and bloody expensive to buy there!

• Advertisement

i have been down there already and loved it ! however houses like this i was told are difficult to get planning permission on them without a roof. a few agents told me this.

Advertisement