Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst part of Australia you've been to?

Options
  • 05-11-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I currently work in Port Hedland in Western Australia doing Fifo. Its my second time here although the first time I was just passing through about 4 years ago. In my opinion it is probably the worst part of Australia I've been to. I seen alot of Australia including both coasts, most cities and some other not so attractive places like Alice Springs, Newman, Karratha, Tom Price and some other remote areas but none of them really compare to Port Hedland. Has anyone else been to a part of Australia that they would tell other people to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In before Perth.

I've done a lot of the east and west coasts at this stage and I think everywhere I've been had a certain charm to it in its own way.

Newcastle would probably be the standout though because there didn't seem to be a whole lot to do. Industrial spot and not the nicest aesthetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

When I saw the heading I immediately thought of Port Hedland.

Myself and 2 friends couldn't get work in Perth so we were flown up to Port Hedland to work in the hotel on the outskirts of town for 6 weeks. We sat and cried on the beach the day we got there. I think we lasted 3 weeks before getting on a bus to Broom.

Do you know the hotels name there?? I can't remember it! This was June/July 2006 that we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Port Macquaire isnt great

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Cervantes in WA gave me the creeps. Id say most of the towns in WA give me the creeps or are just plain boring apart from Bunbury, Busselton and Margaret River.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

saggycaggy wrote: »
    When I saw the heading I immediately thought of Port Hedland.

Myself and 2 friends couldn't get work in Perth so we were flown up to Port Hedland to work in the hotel on the outskirts of town for 6 weeks. We sat and cried on the beach the day we got there. I think we lasted 3 weeks before getting on a bus to Broom.

Do you know the hotels name there?? I can't remember it! This was June/July 2006 that we were there.

Not sure which hotel you mean but maybe the walkabout?

• Advertisement

sin_city wrote: »
    Port Macquaire isnt great

You haven't seen much of Australia have you? Port Macquaire really isn't that bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

Tennant creek especially when dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

aido79 wrote: »
    Not sure which hotel you mean but maybe the walkabout?

Had a quick search there and I think it's the Ibis Styles Hotel-wasn't called that when we were there though. Best year of my life being away in Oz but hated those 3 weeks in Port Hedland.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

aido79 wrote: »
    You haven't seen much of Australia have you? Port Macquaire really isn't that bad...

You haven't been out in the clubs in Port Macquarie have you?

There are lots of places in Australia with bad nightlife. When I said the worst place in Australia I meant a place where you not recommend anyone to visit. I would happily recommend Port Macquarie as a place to go for a weekend away. I wouldn't stop for lunch in Port Hedland however unless I had to.

• Advertisement

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Had a quick search there and I think it's the Ibis Styles Hotel-wasn't called that when we were there though. Best year of my life being away in Oz but hated those 3 weeks in Port Hedland.

yeah i know where that is. My friend lives near there..he's been there over 3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You mean the Panthers? bit of a joke alright.

Port Mac is just a big retirement village, its actually a nice pretty area and some nice beaches..... its's just a sleepy little town with endless supply of Thai restaurants.

Rydges has a great restaurant and a great Bar, there are worst places.

Taree is only down the road and its a good contender, extra chromosomes, fingers and toes wouldn't be unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Haven't been to Port Hedland....but

Mt Isa definitely crowns it for me.

A town with a mine in the middle of it, industrial wasteland in the middle of the desert, searing heat, flies, miners and cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Haven't been to Port Hedland....but

Mt Isa definitely crowns it for me.

A town with a mine in the middle of it, industrial wasteland in the middle of the desert, searing heat, flies, miners and cowboys.

HAH you forgot the 4pm blast... (Or whatever time it's at. Basically the mine blasts daily and it's not unusual for your whole house to shake.)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Definetly Mildura Oasis backpackers, One of the reviews is written by myself...... http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255355-d1234488-Reviews-Mildura_Oasis_Backpacker_Hostel-Mildura_Victoria.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hervey Bay. If Australia has an ar5ehole, Hervey Bay is an infected boil on that ar5ehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Got stuck in Townsville for one week due to a flood. I can honestly say I never met so many inbred people. As I am a bit of a joker, I always recommend people go visit Townsville !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bungarra

Worst I've been is probably Mt. Magnet in 45degrees heat. Hellhole. Don't know how anyone could live there! Special shoutout goes to Shire of Murchison. The size of Ireland nearly and a population of 300 people. What the hell do people do in these places?

Bungarra wrote: »
    Worst I've been is probably Mt. Magnet in 45degrees heat. Hellhole. Don't know how anyone could live there! Special shoutout goes to Shire of Murchison. The size of Ireland nearly and a population of 300 people. What the hell do people do in these places?

I worked on the mine there for a few months, the camp was in the town and was always being broken into by the local natives, we had to drive to meekathera to fly out every 8 days..walking in the town after sunset was dangerous to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bungarra

rightyabe wrote: »
    I worked on the mine there for a few months, the camp was in the town and was always being broken into by the local natives, we had to drive to meekathera to fly out every 8 days..walking in the town after sunset was dangerous to say the least.

Haha... Yeah... Classy places these... I was working on a roads job there for a few days and that was enough. There's an airstrip in Magnet tho', why were ye going all the way to Meeka?!

I was staying in another place before, think it was Perenjori, and the units window had a broken latch so you could just push it open. I woke up to a hand coming in the window trying to grab the laptop i'd left on the bed. Then when I finally got back to sleep I was woken up by a rough as guts aboriginal girl knocking on my door. She must have been a prostitute or something. She just said "wrong unit" or something and moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moe, Victoria.
    Dear God.

Bungarra wrote: »
    Haha... Yeah... Classy places these... I was working on a roads job there for a few days and that was enough. There's an airstrip in Magnet tho', why were ye going all the way to Meeka?!

I was staying in another place before, think it was Perenjori, and the units window had a broken latch so you could just push it open. I woke up to a hand coming in the window trying to grab the laptop i'd left on the bed. Then when I finally got back to sleep I was woken up by a rough as guts aboriginal girl knocking on my door. She must have been a prostitute or something. She just said "wrong unit" or something and moved on.

I think it was to do with the plane and re fueling, it had to refuel in meeka I think so it wasn't worth it's while landing in MM every flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Pogmothone wrote: »
    Definetly Mildura Oasis backpackers, One of the reviews is written by myself...... http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255355-d1234488-Reviews-Mildura_Oasis_Backpacker_Hostel-Mildura_Victoria.html

Maybe that hostel but I was in mildura for around six weeks and it was quite nice. Stayed in the big 4 I think it was across from the shopping centre. Lovely people and not that bad of a town. Had the pool, BBQ daily and few good nights in o malleys. Did eventually tire of it and headed to Melbourne for some work but it was a nice relaxing break .
    We did end up in shepparton on our way to mildura and that was a serious hole. Found one ****hole hostel and every person in it told us to keep going somewhere else. They were only there because the promise of work had them book a week stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

spurious wrote: »
    Moe, Victoria.
    Dear God.

was just about to mention good oul Moe town!!

frankston is not far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭me1724

Have to agree because I'm there now Hervey Bay is the worst place I have been in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Coober Pedy by a country mile.

Hervey Bay is nothing in comparison.

irishmover wrote: »
    Coober Pedy by a country mile.

Hervey Bay is nothing in comparison.

I didn't mind Harvey bay when I was there. I've certainly been in a lot worse places. I haven't been to Coober pedy but from the pictures I've seen of it it looks like hell. You know there's something wrong with a place when people live underground. Must be why they chose to film one of the mad max films there.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

I done 3 months up in Tolga in the Atherton Tablelands and nearly lost my life. The working hostel was horrendous and a once a week bus run to woollies which was about 20 mins drive away. Absolutely nothing to do and hardly a person to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Most people who bash Alice Springs have rarely spent more than a few days there. I worked there for six months and loved the town, great, friendly community. Yes, the aboriginal social problems are very visible but for myself - and many of my friends who have lived there for years (and also love the red centre lifestyle), they didn't impact our own lives (- with exception of not walking alone at night, which I don't do at home either). Great little town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Skibunny77 wrote: »
    .....Great little town.

....in the middle of nowhere! :eek:

Advertisement