Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst part of Australia you've been to?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AineM2013

I have lived in Alice Springs five years and it's a great place. I can see why someone staying a few nights might dislike it, there are a lot of social issues and problems. However, it's a unique place to live with a great sense of community, something for everyone to do! Would highly recommend the town and the countryside around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Halls Creek or has anybody who knows it Hells Crack. Population 5000, 4400 of them aboriginal, 4000 of them drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Halls Creek or has anybody who knows it Hells Crack. Population 5000, 4400 of them aboriginal, 4000 of them drunk.

I would say Halls Creek is some craic alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 !Nicky!

People who say places like Hervey Bay and Mildura are the worst places theyve been in...?

You definitely havent visited any of the Bumfu*k Nowhere towns in WA and the likes. Places where if you need to buy a TV you either have to fly or drive for hours and hours on end.

Hervey Bay compared to some of the spots i've been in is like New York!

Not even sure the worst places i've been as ive not even known the name of them but literally nothing there. Maybe a petrol station, few cabins and a bar. Pure ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

in Moe if you want a TV, you just steal one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FTroydon

Murray Bridge.....for New Yrs Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mminor

Great Sandy Desert

Was drilling up there

The camals were nice

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

gladstone, where i am working now is a tough town to go out for a beer in. a lot of alpha males with lots of cash ready to punch on at the drop of a hat.

fifo in fitzroy crossing a few years back, 6 hours inland of Broome is one to the hottest inhabited places on earth. reg 50+ by midday

Kalgoolie is a horrible place too, but Wilcannia in western NSW takes the biscuit, when working there, we were advised not to leave the motel room after dark as the locals have a very low tolerance of white people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I didn't make it to any of the really outback areas, I stuck to the east coast.

Two places - Caboolture (north of Briz) and Gold Coast (south of Briz)

Shopping malls, bogans, high rise hotels, concrete, ute dealers and freeways......complete chintzy cackfest. Ugh.

I stayed in the Northern Rivers most of the time. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

SamAK wrote: »
    I didn't make it to any of the really outback areas, I stuck to the east coast.

Two places - Caboolture (north of Briz) and Gold Coast (south of Briz)

Shopping malls, bogans, high rise hotels, concrete, ute dealers and freeways......complete chintzy cackfest. Ugh.

I stayed in the Northern Rivers most of the time. Gorgeous.

Think you're missing the point a little. This thread is supposed to be about places that the average person would find unbearable to live in not somewhere like the Gold Coast which is a world famous tourist destination and getaway of choice for many Australians.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    Think you're missing the point a little. This thread is supposed to be about places that the average person would find unbearable to live in not somewhere like the Gold Coast which is a world famous tourist destination and getaway of choice for many Australians.

The title of the thread is 'worst part of Australia you've been to'. And I specifically mentioned that I never made it to any of the really remote parts.

So no, I don't think i'm missing the point at all. I mentioned some of the areas that i've been to.

Plus, it's all subjective. Some people here say that places like Alice are awful, and then people that actually live there are saying 'no, actually it's really nice when you get to know it'.

I'm giving my subjective opinion. I found a lot of the touristy areas to be god--awful. I dislike tourist traps. I dislike commercial development(like the GC with all those fvcking horrible hotels). I prefer nature, jungles, secluded beaches(preferably nude ones!) and stunning skylines with towering mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

gladstone, where i am working now is a tough town to go out for a beer in. a lot of alpha males with lots of cash ready to punch on at the drop of a hat.

fifo in fitzroy crossing a few years back, 6 hours inland of Broome is one to the hottest inhabited places on earth. reg 50+ by midday

Kalgoolie is a horrible place too, but Wilcannia in western NSW takes the biscuit, when working there, we were advised not to leave the motel room after dark as the locals have a very low tolerance of white people

So outta curiosity I google street mapped wilcannia and wow, just.... wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Noo wrote: »

I dunno the "Wilcannia Athenaeum Pioneer Museum" looks interesting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I dunno the "Wilcannia Athenaeum Pioneer Museum" looks interesting! :D

Followed by a few beers in the Wilcannia 'Club' Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Hated surfers paradise because its a plastic souless place. lived in newcastle for 6 months, wasn't too bad, some nice surf beaches but wouldn't stay long term.

Drove the pacific highway twice from brissy to newcastle, there's a few towns/villages along the way that don't seem very interesting.

Otherwise..this place looks creepy :D (beginning of the video), think its called carinda in NSW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

aido79 wrote: »

I lived in Coolangatta for 3 months, it sure is beautiful there but there's no real community spirit, just a transient touristy place, very hard to make friends..I found the locals to be a bit odd too to be honest.

HAH you forgot the 4pm blast... (Or whatever time it's at. Basically the mine blasts daily and it's not unusual for your whole house to shake.)

Mount Isa is the correct answer, the blasts are 8am and 8pm.
    The air sometimes stings your eyes nose and throat. Thats the So2 gas that pumps out of the stack across the road from the town 24/7 365 turning to acid when it touches the moisture inside you.

Anyone who picked a place on the coast (Hervey bay) clearly hasnt done any real travelling in the outback.

Tennant Creek and the super remote outback locations are good picks too, plenty of places like those scattered around the outback and some are real 3rd world conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Mount Isa is the correct answer, the blasts are 8am and 8pm.
    The air sometimes stings your eyes nose and throat. Thats the So2 gas that pumps out of the stack across the road from the town 24/7 365 turning to acid when it touches the moisture inside you.

Anyone who picked a place on the coast (Hervey bay) clearly hasnt done any real travelling in the outback.

Tennant Creek and the super remote outback locations are good picks too, plenty of places like those scattered around the outback and some are real 3rd world conditions.

I agree with mount isa. Weird lookin spot got a speeding ticket there too. I was in that much of a hurry t get out of there haha.

The title of the thread is - 'Worst part of Australia you've been to.'

:rolleyes:

Next time I go back daahn unda I look forward to visiting some outback sh1t-holes and reporting back here with my own opinons!

The Oodnadatta track and Lake Eyre interest me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement