Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog back legs stopped working

• 05-11-2013 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

My mother called me last night about my oldest of 3 dogs whos back legs stopped working and she just fell to the ground when trying to jump up to my mother this happened about 3 times yesterday.

My mother ended up having to call the VET last night as she wasn't able to move.

My Dogs shes 9 years old pure Yorkshire Terrier who has never had any health problems before her only problem is her wight witch we have to keep a eye on and gets at lest 3 to 4 walks a week.

The VET was telling my mother that it might be dog meningitis or some time of virus on her spine.

I nearly took the cry when she told me but later on i ended up crying over her as i dont wont anything happening to her yet as she is still fairly young.

Has anyone ever had that problem with there dog before and what do i need to expect ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Last November one of my huskies was running across the field and his back legs just went on him, he completely lost the use of them. An x-ray showed nothing untoward, so he was on crate rest for 6 weeks, pain killers, anti-inflammatories etc, and he is now running and playing as though nothing had happened. The vet thinks it was a prolapsed spinal disc, and the rest and medication helped it to heal by itself.

Has the vet actually seen the dog yet, or is it just phone advice at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

muddypaws wrote: »
    Last November one of my huskies was running across the field and his back legs just went on him, he completely lost the use of them. An x-ray showed nothing untoward, so he was on crate rest for 6 weeks, pain killers, anti-inflammatories etc, and he is now running and playing as though nothing had happened. The vet thinks it was a prolapsed spinal disc, and the rest and medication helped it to heal by itself.

Has the vet actually seen the dog yet, or is it just phone advice at the moment?

My dog is at the VET at the moment as she took her last night as my mother called her out. But I was told she is getting bloods and a xray today to see whats wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,850 ✭✭✭✭banie01

+1
    Similar happened my brothers dog, Vet diagnosed a prolapsed disc.
    The only way to describe the dog was as the real life version of Herbert's dog from Family Guy, the poor girl spent 4 weeks with no movement in her back legs.
    Now however she's fully recovered ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Last year we lost a Spinone to meningitis. He could not walk or even stand up. We made the decision to pts. He was an old dog however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One of my daycare doggies suffered a fibrocartilagenous embolism (FCE) earlier this year after landing after jumping. Same sort of symptoms, unable to use his back legs, they just wouldn't work. 8 weeks crate rest, physiotherapy and ongoing hydrotherapy and he's 99% back to what he was. On longer walks he has some dragging of one of his legs but that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Something similar happened to my Labrador in September , he suddenly just lost the use of his legs on his right side. Turned out he had an inoperable spinal tumour and sadly did not make it. My partners 18 year old collieXterrier regularly loses the use of her back legs and then she's fine again. My 19 year old dog had a spinal disk problem and couldn't use her back legs but she made a full recovery. It may just be an old age thing, in the case if my lab It was just bad luck

Having gotting updates of the VET they done xregs and they found notting wrong with her back

They think she might have had a stroke is so hard to know what's wrong with them when they can't speak :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Happened to my dog at my parents (14 yrs old) the vet said it was an inner ear infection and put her on strong antibiotics. She got worse before she got better and it took 3 weeks before she was back to normal. Poor thing really wanted to move but couldn't and then when she got back on her feet she used to fall over when she shook! She's great now and hopefully won't happen again.

Went to see her just there it was sadist thing I ever had to do to look at my sick dog and watch her fall over as she can't stand :(
    When
    she seen me never seen a dog so happy in there life's and just wonted me and set on my lad looking up at me with her big sad eyes :(

But she has been eating her full dinners and she's on sterard injectings for the past 2 days and still notting :(

But she can fell pain in her back paws but only if you press hard but I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing ?

Have just taking the cry over it :( as hate seeing my little dog like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Went to see her just there it was sadist thing I ever had to do to look at my sick dog and watch her fall over as she can't stand :(
    When she seen me never seen a dog so happy in there life's and just wonted me and set on my lad looking up at me with her big sad eyes :(

But she has been eating her full dinners and she's on sterard injectings for the past 2 days and still notting :(

But she can fell pain in her back paws but only if you press hard but I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing ?

Have just taking the cry over it :( as hate seeing my little dog like this

Sorry to hear that she is not doing to well :( Is there anything else the vet can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

When she was having her X-ray done did the vet inject a dye into her spine? If the dye travels all the way up the spine then there's no blockage and If it stops then there's a blockage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My terrier mix had the same problem this summer. Hind legs completely gone. Steroids and 7 weeks crate rest sorted the problem (slipped disc). When it is cold and damp she still limps a bit and she doesn't jump up onto the window sill anymore.
    Crate rest was tough, she was crying her heart out when I took the other dog on walks, but she is her usual happy self again and that's all that counts!

Just a update was speaking to the mother we took her away from the VET to be at home with or other 2 dogs and she is starting to get a bit better

She is walking a bit now but she can do 4 or 5 steps then she falls but its a lot better then not moveing

She eats all her dinner all the time will go to the Loo out side

She is fighting what ever is wrong with her so happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is the vet happy for her to walk around like that? I would have thought the dog would be on crate rest to heal? :confused: Glas to here she's improved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nisoir

I have a Rottweiler and she has problems with her back legs. But its her joints that are the problem, its nothing to do with her spine cause she's had x-rays too. So at the moment she's on monthly pain killers and anti inflammatorys. She also has oily fish every second day and is on glucosamine daily. I also had to get her weight down so she went on a diet (like ourselves lol) of oily fish and a weighed amount of dried biscuits. If a dogs legs are sore, then rest for a few days, but don't give them complete rest or else the legs will stiffen altogether. After a few days rest, then start with short 10 minute walks and gently build up. Also, gently massage the legs every day and stretch them yourself. And if you have any 'poitin' then rub that in too!!
    Speaking from experience here!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

That happened my Labrador 15 years ago, he had been poisoned and that caused a stroke. He had another one then and didn't make it :-(

Just a update for everyone it has been over a month since she had a stroke.

Like she can run and walk around now but she cant jump up to sit on the back of the chair in the sitting room to look at the window and its so sad having to left her up every time she wont's to get up. Another thing she cant control going to the loo anymore.

But the crazy thing was all 3 of off our dogs got sick at the same time. I have a dog a year younger then her and for 2 days she passed blood in both ends and had to be put on the drip for 24 hours. The youngest dog got a little bit sick but we got her on tablets right away

But i am just happy that she made it :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Just a update for everyone it has been over a month since she had a stroke.

Like she can run and walk around now but she cant jump up to sit on the back of the chair in the sitting room to look at the window and its so sad having to left her up every time she wont's to get up. Another thing she cant control going to the loo anymore.

But the crazy thing was all 3 of off our dogs got sick at the same time. I have a dog a year younger then her and for 2 days she passed blood in both ends and had to be put on the drip for 24 hours. The youngest dog got a little bit sick but we got her on tablets right away

But i am just happy that she made it :).

Sounds weird that all 3 of them were sick. Could they have been poisoned?

Advertisement