Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a filter

Options
  • 05-11-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I just got back from a week away to find that another filter has crapped out in my 120l tank. It seems to be substrate clogging the sponges that burns out the motor if it's not cleaned out every couple of days.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a filter that could cope with substrate getting sucked in, or some way to stop it happening again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

kylith wrote: »
    I just got back from a week away to find that another filter has crapped out in my 120l tank. It seems to be substrate clogging the sponges that burns out the motor if it's not cleaned out every couple of days.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a filter that could cope with substrate getting sucked in, or some way to stop it happening again?

Ok, what type of fish do you keep? What about getting a smaller external filter, they are the best filters on the market.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

logik wrote: »
    Ok, what type of fish do you keep? What about getting a smaller external filter, they are the best filters on the market.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters

10 glowlight tetras, 2 adult C Apisto (plus at least 2 fry), and 1 albino BN pleco. I have no plans to add anything else.

I wouldn't mind an external filter, but would I have to have holes drilled in the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

10 glowlight tetras, 2 adult C Apisto (plus at least 2 fry), and 1 albino BN pleco. I have no plans to add anything else.

I wouldn't mind an external filter, but would I have to have holes drilled in the tank?

Why would you have to drill the tank for an external filter? The hoses for input/output go over the rim of the tank and away you go.

m4r10 wrote: »
    Why would you have to drill the tank for an external filter? The hoses for input/output go over the rim of the tank and away you go.

Yup, no holes to be drilled anywhere. If you have the money 70-110 euro to spare, get an external.

I'd just heard of people drilling tanks to install filters, glad to know I won't have to do that! It's a Juwel 125 and the lid is fairly tight fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Usually a tank is drilled for installing a sump, which is even more handier than an external filter.
    At the back of the tank you'll have two slits through which the hoses will easily fit, requiring no modifications to the lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

Are you using the juwel filter that came with the tank? Are you sure the impeller isn't just getting jammed with dirt? Your tank is lightly stocked so I'd imagine you just need to take the motor apart and give the impeller a proper clean.

Externals are the best and as a poster above recommended you can't beat Eheim if you want to go that way. There is loads of space at the top to fit the pipes from an external in your tank.

What substrate are you using? If you have playsand in there it could cause issues as it's far too light for aquariums imo.

Uaru wrote: »
    Are you using the juwel filter that came with the tank? Are you sure the impeller isn't just getting jammed with dirt? Your tank is lightly stocked so I'd imagine you just need to take the motor apart and give the impeller a proper clean.

Externals are the best and as a poster above recommended you can't beat Eheim if you want to go that way. There is loads of space at the top to fit the pipes from an external in your tank.

What substrate are you using? If you have playsand in there it could cause issues as it's far too light for aquariums imo.

Some good points here. Your tank is very lightly stocked alright and it could just be a impeller issue. One thing you can do with the Juwel powerheads is still a 600 or 800 or even a 1000lph powerhead onto your internal filter. They all fit perfectly onto any Juwel filter. Its one thing I say to most people when they buy a Juwel.

Uaru wrote: »

I'm not using the Juwel filter, it's a Magic Jet (not great, I know). I've rinsed out and blown out the impeller and it's working again now, but I'll start saving for an external one for the future.

I have a dirt substrate capped with Sansibar. It seems to be that some dirt gets dug up by my pleco and kicked into the water column where it has to be cleaned out of the filter every couple of days. Being away for a week meant I couldn't keep it cleaned out and it stopped working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I'd just heard of people drilling tanks to install filters, glad to know I won't have to do that! It's a Juwel 125 and the lid is fairly tight fitting.

I have two external filters on my Juwel 125, not a drilled hole in sight ! There is a gap at the rear of the tank to accommodate piping etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I
    I have a dirt substrate capped with Sansibar. g

same as i have soil capped with black sansibar, no issues with the external

Advertisement