Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it difficult not to christen a baby?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

bluewolf wrote: »
    Just a little joke based on Jeremiah:
    This is what the LORD says: "Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them. 3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter
    :)

Sorry for offtopicness, if any :)

Ah right, Old Testament, yeah they don't celebrate Christmas.

Although, in the US the Puritans try to stamp out the caroling and the trees and any pagan influences. However the strong German/Irish immigrants and Victorian influence in US culture made that nigh impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

eviltwin wrote: »
    Why? :confused: I can understand your faith is important to you, and probably no more than if you were ill, and I don't think anyone would want to deny you access to your priest or anything else but why should someone like me who isn't involved in the Church have my choices impacted by the faith of others? Respect for all has to include ALL. Its not a lot to ask.

Huh? Is there someone burning down the non-christian schools behind my back? How on earth do you think those schools got there in the first place? Respect isn't denied in any way. What's lacking is people getting up off their arses and making it happen.

I remember my parents, grandparents and neighbours fundraising to get a local school built. I vividly remember my grandmother selling medals that my uncles had won in sports to get cash to build the school. The local priests and nuns were the ones who organised the build, and the school was built on church land (donated by another local family).

The same thing has been done by COI communities, and various other communities. Go ahead and DO IT if you want it. Like has been done all over the country. I have yet to see anyone anywhere picketing against the setting up of an ET school.

I just don't understand the mentality of expecting everything provided on a plate. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

pwurple wrote: »
    Huh? Is there someone burning down the non-christian schools behind my back? How on earth do you think those schools got there in the first place? Respect isn't denied in any way. What's lacking is people getting up off their arses and making it happen.

I remember my parents, grandparents and neighbours fundraising to get a local school built. I vividly remember my grandmother selling medals that my uncles had won in sports to get cash to build the school. The local priests and nuns were the ones who organised the build, and the school was built on church land (donated by another local family).

The same thing has been done by COI communities, and various other communities. Go ahead and DO IT if you want it. Like has been done all over the country. I have yet to see anyone anywhere picketing against the setting up of an ET school.

I just don't understand the mentality of expecting everything provided on a plate. :confused:

I was asking about hospitals actually but on the topic of schools wouldn't it make more sense to have all schools religion free? Your faith is a personal lifestyle choice, it has nothing to do with education. If it matters that much a parent can teach their faith at home with the support of their church, it seems to work well for other faiths.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So your response is if people want non catholic ethos education or health they need to built and fund their own premises and running costs? You have to be having a laugh.

Reality is the state should not be favoring a specific faith, as such if you want your specific ethos school then by all means you can have it.

But the reality of the situation should be that you can then pay for the teachers etc yourself.

Can I ask are you perfectly ok with your taxes being used to teach other faiths, Muslim faith, Jewish etc?
    I take it you have no problem with this and your taxes being used to extend such schools and to build them as well, yeah?

It also wasn't a church funded school it was funded by the people who foolishly put their money into the hands of the church to do with what they wanted with no regard for the wish's and rights of future generations.

it also wasn't church land, it was the people's land that the church took ownership of. Very foolish of the locals to allow this.

People very very foolishly put property into the hands of the catholic church in Ireland years ago often after the "powerful" local priest had words with them, your post is proof of this.

Reminds me of years ago when the local priest approached a relation of mine looking for free land....and it was very good farming land at that,

The priest approached him because he wanted the local GAA to buy it if they wanted it, where as the priest wanted the land donated for free to the parish and for the church to own it and the GAA to use it.

Priest said to him if he donated the land the pitch would be named after him,
    His answer "well, its like this father, they can buy the land and they can name it whatever they want".

They did eventually buy the land,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I lied and christened my vegetables as meat just so I could get them on a plate.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 1577

If you want your child to be able to get married in a church they will have to be baptised

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

1577 wrote: »
    If you want your child to be able to get married in a church they will have to be baptised

The choice of where the child gets married is up to the child, not the parents. A person can be bapthised at any age if they so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Why would anyone want to get married in a church?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What about what your child wants as a adult?
    How about let them decide in later life instead of wanting or pushing them to get married in a church, that way if they do want a church wedding they can go about it and if they don't they can easily opt for other options (they may want to join another faith for example).

There's an awful lot more choice of locations and more meaningful places to couples to have a ceremony these days,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Put the brakes on, this thread has gone way off topic and as such we are no longer discussing a parenting issue. I'm closing the thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement