Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Easily the coolest play when they pull it off.. what a pair of catches

And can be a season ender if they mess it up. High risk. And occasionally high reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Great to watch live baseball yesterday.....even if there was significant rust.

But just seeing the sunshine out in Arizona was painful.....we're expecting another snow storm in Cincinnati this weekend, and if the farmers almanac is right (it has been all year), the Reds could have a game snowed out in April.

We plan on making spring training our vacation in a couple of years when our little one is old enough to enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Going with Seattle to beat San Diego tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Going with Seattle to beat San Diego tonight.

Are you betting on Spring Training??

So yeah - Grady Sizemore played in a ball game today:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140227-grady-sizemore-honestly-it-didnt-feel-like-a-big-deal.ece

Hard to believe that that's amazing, but it is... If he survives the year without injury if could go down as the best deal in baseball in a decade.

3× All-Star (2006–2008)
    2× Gold Glove Award (2007–2008)
    Silver Slugger Award (2008)
    30–30 club (2008)
    Led AL in runs scored (2006)
    Led AL with doubles (2006)

Cost to the Red Sox: $750k

He's only 31 as well!

The last pro game he played was in 2011. Then he spent three years in surgery and rehab.

He bat leadoff this afternoon.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    So yeah -
    If he survives the year without injury AND IS ABLE TO PLAY AT OR NEAR HIS LEVEL BEFORE INJURIES it could go down as the best deal in baseball in a decade.

He's been on the sideline for 3 years, it's not just a case of staying healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So yeah - Grady Sizemore played in a ball game today:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140227-grady-sizemore-honestly-it-didnt-feel-like-a-big-deal.ece

Hard to believe that that's amazing, but it is... If he survives the year without injury if could go down as the best deal in baseball in a decade.

3× All-Star (2006–2008)
    2× Gold Glove Award (2007–2008)
    Silver Slugger Award (2008)
    30–30 club (2008)
    Led AL in runs scored (2006)
    Led AL with doubles (2006)

Cost to the Red Sox: $750k

He's only 31 as well!

The last pro game he played was in 2011. Then he spent three years in surgery and rehab.

He bat leadoff this afternoon.

There's a reason Boston were able to get him for $750k. No one else wanted to touch him. Look at those records/stats as well, the last one was 2008.

But I'm all for these kind of moves. If he's a bust like the other 29 teams think he'll be, so what it cost you next to nothing. But if he bounces back, well then you've got yourself a great deal. Low risk, high reward is the phrase they use quite a lot in baseball.

8-10 wrote: »

I'm putting $20 on the Washington Generals to beat the Harlem Globetrotters. I think they're due.

There's a reason Boston were able to get him for $750k. No one else wanted to touch him. Look at those records/stats as well, the last one was 2008.

But I'm all for these kind of moves. If he's a bust like the other 29 teams think he'll be, so what it cost you next to nothing. But if he bounces back, well then you've got yourself a great deal. Low risk, high reward is the phrase they use quite a lot in baseball.

Exactly!

This is the kind of deal that - when it works - makes you very happy as a fan.

He's a class act and I think everyone in the game would love to see him succeed.

Edit:

Ortiz was asked why he asked Sizemore:

“He looks all sexy and good looking. What do you want me to tell you?”'

He's been on the sideline for 3 years, it's not just a case of staying healthy.

Yeesssssss.... But considering the Yankees just paid close to 30x more per year for a player that's never even pitched in the country.... Well if Sizemore is even close to his old self for a small part of his year - it's a great deal.

• Advertisement

Yeesssssss.... But considering the Yankees just paid close to 30x more per year for a player that's never even pitched in the country.... Well if Sizemore is even close to his old self for a small part of his year - it's a great deal.

Apples and oranges really. You can't really compare a pitcher who was successful in Japan with a position player who is looking to make a comeback of sorts.

Apples and oranges really. You can't really compare a pitcher who was successful in Japan with a position player who is looking to make a comeback of sorts.

Well. I just did.

Yeah, 2 from 2 already.
    There are a couple of very interesting stats on certain teams winning/loosing in spring training last few years.

Yeah, 2 from 2 already.
    There are a couple of very interesting stats on certain teams winning/loosing in spring training last few years.

I'm surprised bookies actually take bets on spring training games. Starters don't play much and probably aren't even still in the stadium when the game ends. So the outcome is in the hands of minor leaguers and fringe players. But if you're winning and making money, keep it up!

I'm surprised bookies actually take bets on spring training games. Starters don't play much and probably aren't even still in the stadium when the game ends. So the outcome is in the hands of minor leaguers and fringe players. But if you're winning and making money, keep it up!

Standard rule enforced by most managers is that they have to stay for 5 innings.....they normally have 1 bus leave in the 7th inning and the other after the game. Every now and then the TV broadcasts catch the mass exodus of major league roster guys between the 5th and 6th innings.....they aren't secretive about it, most of the time they walk right across the field in a big group.

Yeah Pinnacle sports do.
    Tonight i have Pittsburgh to beat Toronto.

Yeah Pinnacle sports do.
    Tonight i have Pittsburgh to beat Toronto.

Any season-long bets?

Any season-long bets?

Not as of yet. Toronto now go 3-0, they have had long winning streaks before in spring training, time to keep backing them until they loose.

Last years spring training records for comparison:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/year/2013

• Advertisement

Last years spring training records for comparison:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/year/2013

Shows how important spring training is.....only 1 team in the top 10 in the Cactus league won their division. And 2 of the bottom 3 went to the playoffs

Shows how important spring training is.....only 1 team in the top 10 in the Cactus league won their division. And 2 of the bottom 3 went to the playoffs

Exactly ;)

It's competitive practice. :)

I watch individuals and not the score in spring training......votto needs to be more aggressive at the plate, he's done that so far.....billy Hamilton needs to put the ball in play, he's done that too.....johnny Cueto threw 30 pitches without hurting himself!

Reds are 1-2 but I'm very happy. (note the reds were one of those bottom 3 teams last year that made the playoffs)

I watch individuals and not the score in spring training......votto needs to be more aggressive at the plate, he's done that so far.....billy Hamilton needs to put the ball in play, he's done that too.....johnny Cueto threw 30 pitches without hurting himself!

Reds are 1-2 but I'm very happy. (note the reds were one of those bottom 3 teams last year that made the playoffs)

Yeah, it's all about staying healthy and hopefully finding your groove by the time late March comes along so you'll hit the ground running once the real games start.

Although the results don't matter, there is one story to keep Mets fans interested over the next few weeks, that is the competition for first base. Like the old NFL story that if you have two QBs, you have no QBs, the Mets have two below average first basemen in Ike Davis and Lucas Duda so whoever can be less crap than the other, they'll get the spot. Ike hit a HR in his start yesterday and Duda did the same in his today so they're keeping up with other anyway. At least it'll makes these games slightly more interesting.

And a fine example of the irrelevance of early Spring Training games is going on at the Nationals/Braves game at the moment. 16-15 in the 7th! Although maybe they're playing American Football with that score?

2 bets today, Yankees and Philly.

• Advertisement

Had my eye on this guy for a call up later this year but unfortunately he's off for Tommy John:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24461959/twins-prospect-miguel-sano-to-undergo-miss-all-of-2014

Went 1-1 last night.
    Tonight i have NY Yankees and Atlanta.

Went 1-1 last night.
    Tonight i have NY Yankees and Atlanta.

You should have a baseball log in the Challenges/Logs forum. Myself and Anchorman usually have 1 each

You should have a baseball log in the Challenges/Logs forum. Myself and Anchorman usually have 1 each

Good idea, better than taken up space in here.

Good idea, better than taken up space in here.

Nope I don't think people mind you posting in here, it's a small enough community. I'm just interested if you're setting out to bet on it all season might be good to have a log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

First use of extended replay happened a few minutes ago in the twins and blue jays game.

Talk about a fall from grace......Johan Santana just signed to a minor league deal with Baltimore

Talk about a fall from grace......Johan Santana just signed to a minor league deal with Baltimore

I like it that he's still willing to try an make it back to the majors after two major shoulder surgeries. He doesn't need the money so he's obviously doing it because he thinks he still has something and loves playing. It sums up his competitive nature. His fast ball has lost a few mph so he relies on smart pitching as opposed to blowing hitters away but back in the day he had one of the best change ups in the game.

He's not scheduled to be ready until around or just after the all star break so there's still a lot of work to do before he pitches in the majors. He always came across as being a really nice bloke (and of course he pitched the Mets only no-hitter) so I'll be following his rehab during the summer and hoping he can make it back.

I like it that he's still willing to try an make it back to the majors after two major shoulder surgeries. He doesn't need the money so he's obviously doing it because he thinks he still has something and loves playing. It sums up his competitive nature. His fast ball has lost a few mph so he relies on smart pitching as opposed to blowing hitters away but back in the day he had one of the best change ups in the game.

He's not scheduled to be ready until around or just after the all star break so there's still a lot of work to do before he pitches in the majors. He always came across as being a really nice bloke (and of course he pitched the Mets only no-hitter) so I'll be following his rehab during the summer and hoping he can make it back.

In his most recent workout (even though he isn't near 100%), he couldn't break 80mph

(and of course he pitched the Mets only no-hitter)
    asterix :D

In his most recent workout (even though he isn't near 100%), he couldn't break 80mph

Yeah, I'd heard that alright. By the time his rehab is finished, if he can get it back to around 85, hopefully he can show he still has something to offer.

asterix :D

Ha ha, foul ball all the way....!!!!!

I don't think I watched a full Astros or Mets game last year and yet here I am with the house to myself on a Tuesday night and watching them play each other in spring training.

Really looking forward to this season.

Braves finally get a win;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭webpal

Anyone know when BT/ESPN will start showing games? Cant find anything on any listings.

webpal wrote: »
    Anyone know when BT/ESPN will start showing games? Cant find anything on any listings.

I can't remember if they showed any ST games last year but I reckon they'll definitely show the Aussie games so they could be the first of the year.

He'll definitely be dodging high and inside fast balls when the two sides meet after comments like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I can't remember if they showed any ST games last year but I reckon they'll definitely show the Aussie games so they could be the first of the year.

They definitely didnt show ST last year.

5 star bet on Tampa this evening with a 2 star bet on Atlanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

They definitely didnt show ST last year.
    Yes, I remember a few been on aswell. Usually day games so evening here but never when a collage basketball game is on.

5 star bet on Tampa this evening with a 2 star bet on Atlanta.

Atlanta tied, what's that mean? I've never betted on a ST game before so never though of what would happen in a tie game! Lose or money back?

Atlanta tied, what's that mean? I've never betted on a ST game before so never though of what would happen in a tie game! Lose or money back?

Void bet, money back.

Void bet, money back.

Makes sense, that's what they do on the first half betting market, score after 5 innings count, void if a tie

• Advertisement

Two bets for this evenings action.
    4 star bet on Tampa.
    2 star bet on St Louis.

Advertisement