Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-Op Education

• 05-11-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭

We, as part of our course, have to find work experience or Co-Operative Education. It's for 8 month or it can be split, as long as it's from January to October. My problem is the fact that out of over 30 people, there were 19 places offered by the Co-Op office in total and that was out of 7 yards. 5 of those yards were studs, which I have no interest in and that left Clare Equestrian and Breen's yard in Hickstead. I'm not pushed about a riding school as I have experience in that already and a friend of mine went to Breen's last year and all she was allowed to do was muck out several stables a day which was unhelpful and she experienced nothing.
    So I've decided, so far unsuccessfully, to find my own and wanted to ask if anyone here, on the off chance, knows of a good jumping or eventing yard, a EAL yard or anything equine that doesn't involve racing, studs or riding schools? It doesn't have to be in Ireland (although I would prefer if it was) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 whateverusay

Chances are if you want to get into any eventing or showjumping yard that you will be only mucking out and doing general yard duties as riding jobs would be few and far between and unless you are a brilliant rider, you wont get to ride often. You might get to lunge horses though some places.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Chances are if you want to get into any eventing or showjumping yard that you will be only mucking out and doing general yard duties as riding jobs would be few and far between and unless you are a brilliant rider, you wont get to ride often. You might get to lunge horses though some places.....

Thanks for your reply,
    Generally, the employers must take into account the fact that you are there on an education experience and the CoOp office do check in to make sure you are learning something. It is, after all, a co-operative education as opposed to an actual job.
    I know, that in some cases, it is only mucking out but we are entitled to find somewhere else if the placement doesn't suit. In saying that, I have no problem mucking out and doing yard duties, if I'm learning at the same time by being taken to events or being taught their training techniques etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

OP have just seen on FB Melanie Ashe Eventing are looking for working pupil at the moment,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

marley123 wrote: »
    OP have just seen on FB Melanie Ashe Eventing are looking for working pupil at the moment,

Thanks Marley :) I may apply yet however I have found places that have a space available for me, if I'm up to standard :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement