Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ger664 wrote: »
    Can you not enter as an International Runner ???

Hardly. I've been living here for over 10 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Missed the cut of myself,any other races on around this time?
    Bohermeen a little long so looking for 10k+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Missed the cut of myself,any other races on around this time?
    Bohermeen a little long so looking for 10k+

Mallow 2 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Hardly. I've been living here for over 10 years!

Sickened, who is going to pace me (without knowing it) to sub 60 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 VAGABOND7

Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be the best track sessions to be doing over the next 6-7 weeks in preparation for the Ballycotton 10 ?

400s ?
    800s ?
    Mile Reps ?

Hoping to pick up one of those coveted T- Shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

VAGABOND7 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be the best track sessions to be doing over the next 6-7 weeks in preparation for the Ballycotton 10 ?

400s ?
    800s ?
    Mile Reps ?

Hoping to pick up one of those coveted T- Shirts.

Just mix it up

Maybe 12 X 400 @ mile-3k pace one week

6 X 800 @ 3k pace another week

and 4 X 1 mile @ 5k pace the next week

Best of luck. I'll be after one myself.

Thanks for that feedback - However, as I feared it looks like I have a bit of work to do over the next few weeks. You would do one of the sessions below in each of the weeks leading up to the race ...with the exception of race week ?

12 X 400 @ mile-3k pace one week

6 X 800 @ 3k pace another week

and 4 X 1 mile @ 5k pace the next week

I would need a decent recovery to get 12 x 400 done at mile pace the moment - probably a 90 second recovery....not sure what my 3k pace is as i have never run one..... and the 4 x 1 mile at 5k pace also looks tough enough but could probably do it of a 3 min recovery.

No pain, no gain - I hear these t shirts are not that easy to get so will need to put the work in.

Good luck in picking one up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

This was just general advice in that I think it would be better to vary up the intervals you are doing in the build up to the race rather than just repeating the one session. The paces I put down are just guidelines. If you do intervals regularly, then you should have an idea of the pace you can keep for each of this distances or otherwise it might take a little trial and error at first. The important thing is that there isn't a big drift in your times. The last few should be a struggle but you should also be able to maintain the pace.

I don't know anything about your running background so wouldn't like to give too much advice but if you stick to the basic principal of doing 2-3 sessions a week (intervals, tempos and long runs) with easy runs in between, you can't go too far wrong.

Thanks for the advice - I have done some interval sessions previously, but mainly focused around 400m sessions (6x400, 8x400m, 12x400m) all done between 72 - 77 secs depending on the number of reps and recovery time.

I was really just wondering if there was a specific track session that would be considered particularly imprortant for training for a 10 mile race.

Your idea of mixing up the distances for my track sessions over the weeks leading up to Ballycotton sounds good too me, so i will be giving it a go.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

@Vagabond

Decent post that was thrown up before that might be worth a read
    2 things jump out to me. 1) there are only about 3 sessions at race pace (RP). 2) last week is overkill - do no more than 11m as the long run a week before and ease up the last session, do it by tuesday, wednesday at the latest. I'd advocate running at race effort (not pace) once a week and then alternate the second session every week with shorter reps a bit faster than race pace and a long continuous run a bit slower. I've put in an example below as to how this may be progressed. I've started at week 2 so you could fit in the easy week where needed (as well as Dungarvan being an easy week).

I've got 7 Ballycotton cups but only 4 t-shirts - i.e. it took me 4 attempts to get one. I went 65, 61, 61, 60, 59, 58, 57. To get from 61s to 60 I had to do lactate threshold work, to get to 58 and 57 I did similar to below...

Week 2
    6 x 1k @ RP - 10s
    3 x 1m @ RP off 90s jog recovery

Week 3
    4m @ RP + 20s
    4 x 1m @ RP off 90s jog recovery

Week 4
    8 x 1k @ RP - 10s
    5 x 1m @ RP off 90s jog recovery

Week 5
    5m @ RP + 20s
    6 x 1m @ RP off 90s jog recovery

Week 6
    4 x 1m @ RP - 10s
    5 x 2k @ RP

Week 7
    6m @ RP + 20s
    8 x 1m @ RP off 90s

Week 8
    5x1m@ RP - 10s off 90s jog recovery
    4 x 1.5m @ RP off 2mins jog recovery
    11m long run

Week 9
    6m
    4x1k @ RP - 20s
    6m
    5m
    Rest
    3m
    Dungarvan 10 mile Race

Week 10
    No session early in week
    4 x 2m @ RP off 2mins jog recovery

Week 11
    7m @ RP + 20s
    4 x 2m @ RP off 2mins jog recovery

Week 12
    6x1m@ RP - 10s off 90s jog recovery
    3x3m @ RP off 3mins jog recovery

Week 13
    8m @ RP + 20s
    3x3m @ RP off 2:30 jog recovery
    11m long run

Week 14
    6m
    4x1k @ RP-20s
    6m with 2@6:00mm
    4m
    Rest
    3m
    Ballycotton 10 mile race
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

• Advertisement

Thanks for that post ecoli

Looks very comprehensive and includes a good number of longer rep sessions done at RP or RP -10/20 secs as well as a good number of RP runs or RP +10/20 secs.

All the advice seems to be about doing a good number of these longer reps just below RP and get out and practice running at RP or very close to RP over 7/8 miles. I will be starting at wk 6 and trying to build these into my training from here on in.

Also planning to give Raheny 5 mile a run (targeting 10 mile RP - 15 secs) so that should give me some idea of how i am going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Up to half way in training for Ballycotton

Won't be long coming around now

Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

I bumped into one of my colleagues at work in the changing room last night and he'd just done his first (!) training run for BC of ~5k :eek: He expects a challenging run :)

opus wrote: »
    I bumped into one of my colleagues at work in the changing room last night and he'd just done his first (!) training run for BC of ~5k :eek: He expects a challenging run :)

He still won't be the worst prepared runner. A few years ago a work colleague asked me on Tuesday or Wednesday of race week if it would help if he did a 5 mile run that evening, which would have been his one and only training run. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I like the cut of their jib. Sure you wouldn't want to overtrain!:D

(In saying this, I may be seeking to defend the debris that is my own recent training)

VAGABOND7 wrote: »
    Thanks for that post ecoli

Looks very comprehensive and includes a good number of longer rep sessions done at RP or RP -10/20 secs as well as a good number of RP runs or RP +10/20 secs.

All the advice seems to be about doing a good number of these longer reps just below RP and get out and practice running at RP or very close to RP over 7/8 miles. I will be starting at wk 6 and trying to build these into my training from here on in.

Also planning to give Raheny 5 mile a run (targeting 10 mile RP - 15 secs) so that should give me some idea of how i am going.

Raheny 5 mile out of the way now (mission more or less accomplished!)

Only 5 Weeks to go now for BC 10 - and aside from the longer 1k/1mile repeats does anyone have any views on whether a block of hill repeats would be of any benifit over the next 4 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I can do a comfortable 5 mile race...haven't tackled anything longer 8 miles in training though. Oops.

He still won't be the worst prepared runner. A few years ago a work colleague asked me on Tuesday or Wednesday of race week if it would help if he did a 5 mile run that evening, which would have been his one and only training run. :rolleyes:

Excellent, I'll let my colleague know that's he'll be grand so :)

Envelope from Ballycotton arrived this morning just as I was leaving for work, that time seemed to fly since the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

A few weeks ago I was happy with my progress for Ballycotton, now I feel all sorts of unprepared. I did do a 9 mile training run but it was very slow... I have never raced more than 10k. I presume it's too late to try to get another long run in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

question for anyone that did this last year and had a problem getting out of the car park - how long did it take to get out. I have to be back in cork city for 4pm and am trying to see if I can do the race and manage to get back in time - (expect to complete in roughly 75 mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

question for anyone that did this last year and had a problem getting out of the car park - how long did it take to get out. I have to be back in cork city for 4pm and am trying to see if I can do the race and manage to get back in time - (expect to complete in roughly 75 mins).

Have done this race 4 (or is it 5?) times and have never had trouble getting out of car park. I park in the "top" car park servicing Cork city side. usually finish in or around 70mins, so our times are similar. I tend not to hang around oft the prize-giving ceremonials :pac: and am generally leaving the car park unhindered. All in all I get home for 4ish but I am 25 miles west of Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

so, we're down to the last few days before tapering off a bit for Sunday. By Christ we all deserve a good run after the miserable conditions we've put up with on those training runs since December :mad:

I don't even want to dare look at the weather forecast, Ballycotton weather is a different weather system to everywhere else anyway :)

I don't even want to dare look at the weather forecast, Ballycotton weather is a different weather system to everywhere else anyway :)

Your post made me go check what the Norwegians thought about next Sun and thankfully it doesn't look too bad, early days yet though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Had a bout of flu last week and missed 2 long runs so will give this a skip as I'm not really fit enough to do anything but survive 10 miles at the moment. It's a bit far to drive just to struggle so will do a local 10 miler the week after instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Question for some of the wise old owls here :)
    Not necessarily Ballycotton related but 10mile training runs.
    What would be the most effective type of tempo run in prep for a 10miler.
    How much slower than race pace should they be and what distance should they be?
    I would be looking to race at 5:50per mile approx.
    Have done 2 x 10 mile tempos at 6:20 pacein last couple of weeks??? Too fast, too slow, too short, too long???
    Thanks

Has everyone else gotten their number yet? I'm still waiting for mine and I'm getting rather anxious by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Has everyone else gotten their number yet? I'm still waiting for mine and I'm getting rather anxious by now.
    yes, i got mine early last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Mine came last Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

ger664 wrote: »
    Mine came last Monday

Moi aussi!

Advertisement