Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 2014

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Has everyone else gotten their number yet? I'm still waiting for mine and I'm getting rather anxious by now.

Mine didn't arrive and I emailed them. They said a lot of packs had been returned to them due to insufficient address info and to come to the Trouble Desk from 10am on race morning to get a new one.

My husband's arrived, and we have the same address and registered together, so I don't know where mine disappeared to!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Panic's over, envelope was waiting for me today on my return from work! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Question for some of the wise old owls here :)
    Not necessarily Ballycotton related but 10mile training runs.
    What would be the most effective type of tempo run in prep for a 10miler.
    How much slower than race pace should they be and what distance should they be?
    I would be looking to race at 5:50per mile approx.
    Have done 2 x 10 mile tempos at 6:20 pacein last couple of weeks??? Too fast, too slow, too short, too long???
    Thanks
    If I was running 10 miles in a race at 5.50 pace 6.20 would be in and around marathon pace so i wouldn't class it as a tempo for you. 6.05 pace would be good for you after a tough weeks training. With wind rain etc these days rem its a tempo. Pick a 10 mile route even 10 laps of 1 mile to make it easier. Then don't even look at pace run Comf hard. I find over winter wearing the heart rate better rather than looking at pace

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

For anyone traveling to Cork and doing the Ballycotton 10 for the first time, you should note that you will need to be there well before the start time of 1:30pm. This small fishing village is a kind of cul-de-suc and there are major traffic restrictions on the approach roads well before the start of the race.

I have full details about parking, the start and finish areas and the course on the Running in Cork website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Is there pacers in Ballycotton? I cant remember ever seeing them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Is there pacers in Ballycotton? I cant remember ever seeing them..

No pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

have to pull out thanks to knee injury :(

training runs were going much better than other years as well

hopefully i'll be back for Cork Half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Is it that weekend already? Ah bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Is it that weekend already? Ah bollix.

It is indeed! On a positive note, the weather is looking ok :)

Best of luck to everyone running...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

very mild out tonight, looks like we won't be freezing anyway (unlike Dungarvan). A little prayer to the gods of running tonight to keep the winds at bay tomorrow. I don't care about the rain.

Best of luck to all taking part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Good luck to all runners today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Panic's over, envelope was waiting for me today on my return from work! :)

101...if only you'd run a little bit faster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

101 - sickener

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

phew, what a day. Tough despite ideal conditions. No PB today but happy given the work I've put in.
    Another great day in Ballycotton, well done to all those who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Don't worry if this trend keeps the way its going then the 100 time will simply get slower so no need to speed up :rolleyes:

They should change it to everyone under 1hr gets the t-shirt. I would not feel good getting one if the time gets much slower.

rom wrote: »
    101 - sickener

Just keep rubbing it in you two, will ya! :rolleyes:

rom wrote: »
    They should change it to everyone under 1hr gets the t-shirt. I would not feel good getting one if the time gets much slower.

The second they do that there will be dozens of comments here how disgustingly elitist the organisers of Ballycotton are, because why should the slower runners receive no t-shirt when they paid the same entrance fee.

As for not feeling good about it, you are entirely speaking for yourself. I was tempted to take a cricket bat to the 100th finisher today for a second. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

My first ballycotton. Given the number of runners/spectators and the location of the race and start finish area. I take my hat off to the organising committee for the manner in which they ran the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

As for not feeling good about it, you are entirely speaking for yourself. I was tempted to take a cricket bat to the 100th finisher today for a second. :D

Just saw the city result god you had one hell of a bad day today :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Just keep rubbing it in you two, will ya! :rolleyes:

I'd be more than happy with your time Thomas regardless of the position!

Nice day in Ballycotton again yesterday, as always nobody seems to pay any attention to the finish times posted in the start area. I had a bit of a giggle (internally!) when I saw the guy who bulldozed his way past me & several others to push towards the front of the start area finishing ~25 mins behind me as I was walking back to the changing tent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 VAGABOND7

Just mix it up

Maybe 12 X 400 @ mile-3k pace one week

6 X 800 @ 3k pace another week

and 4 X 1 mile @ 5k pace the next week

Best of luck. I'll be after one myself.

How did you get on at Ballycotton at the weekend, hope you managed to bag one of those t shirst. Top 100 times not as quick as previous years but still a good run required to pick one up.

Got the training done as per advised and bagged one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

opus wrote: »
    Nice day in Ballycotton again yesterday, as always nobody seems to pay any attention to the finish times posted in the start area. I had a bit of a giggle (internally!) when I saw the guy who bulldozed his way past me & several others to push towards the front of the start area finishing ~25 mins behind me as I was walking back to the changing tent :)

Had a little giggle myself when I saw a group of mature ladies standing just behind the "Under 58" sign......I think they thought it was refering to age and even then I think they were lying to themselves:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

VAGABOND7 wrote: »
    How did you get on at Ballycotton at the weekend, hope you managed to bag one of those t shirst. Top 100 times not as quick as previous years but still a good run required to pick one up.

Got the training done as per advised and bagged one myself

Not to rub it in for poor Tom but I got one myself. I've been on and off injured since the start of the year so the performance wasn't all I had hoped for a few months ago. I actually ran at a quicker pace in the Bohermeen Half this time last year. Was happy with my perseverance when things got tough and the DOMS today are telling me that I certainly put in the effort. A good reason to return next year anyway :D. Really enjoyed the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Well done everyone! I'm feeling the DOMS affect too. I was happy with my time and performance yesterday, but found myself stuck for water once or twice, those cups are a nuisance to drink out of. Think I'll have to carry my own next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I'd heard the stories of this race and didn't really believe the hype all the years from people about this race. I'd an entry last year but was sick on the day so watched, a pint and a pack of tayto in the pub waiting for people. Made the line this year. Have been slowly getting back into a bit a bit of training recently, poxy plantar causing me grief for the too long. Lined up beside the 58min sign and the lady's team from a local club pushed up! ;-). When the top runners came down i mooched a bit forward. The start, it has to be the best of any race, and long narrow downhill for a mile and a bit, elbows out cross country style to got get taken out of it. I knew i had to hold back and keep the the splits sensible so took my time. The crowds watching at the various corners was something else. Got into a bit of an early group with two lad's from eagle and we seemed to push on nicely. I like the time callers at each mile but might suggest this need to be a two person job, or a few extra clocks on course. The 5mile had 29.23ish on it as we passed by and i then took some notion to push on. The final three miles, you're heading towards ballycotton with a little dip as you cross the river valley, the PA from the village is calling the lead men home and you're looking at this cliff in front of you. Drive on pass some dudes, they fire back, you have to match, again, again, you see the 15mile mark, another mile!! Another bolt from someone, catch him, 800m mark, fighting, 600m, how the hell was that 200m so slow, repeat, 400m, 200m, you see the finish line. Two ladies handing out t-shirts. The ballycotton mug. Sit down. Hear the announcer call 'TFBubendorfer' name re the photo finish for that last t-shirt, i smile as i know this thread will catch a few comments. Swathes of runners coming across the line now, something to behold. An hour later, and back down down town for the rugby and a pint, i'd done my research the year before! Runner still coming in, women and men out there doing a decent days work to finish honestly. I get the top 100 times might be dropping and boardies bitching about that but perhaps the final 100 should also get a mention. Will be back and hope at some stage to get a name call for having done 30 of them.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/459299159

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

An Irishman’s Diary about a famous Cork road-race

They have a Ray_Cun on their comments board as well!.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

wearing a yellow and green singlet too. Talk about coincidence!

Advertisement