Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A nice cafè with free wi-fi

Options
  • 05-11-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey there,
    I'm looking for a nice, quiet place to work in Cork city center.
    I usually work from home but I'd like to spend some time outside :) without paying for wi-fi connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd recommend the Streat cafe on Cook Street, just across from Specsavers.

I go there all the time, the staff are friendly, the coffee is good, it's quiet enough and has Wi-Fi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Armaiti

Thanks! I'll try that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

It is really annoying where people come into a Café, order a coffee/tea and proceed to spend an excessive amount of time on their laptop then working away.

Usually, the person take an entire table aswell ensuring that other people who would like a coffee/tea are either forced to squish in together so as to not disturb the person on their laptop or find somewhere else.

I'm sure on a per sale basis this is not appreciated by the relevant Café.

Well, that's why I'm looking for a specific kind of place. I wouldn't choose Gloria Jean's or Cafè Eco because of the big amount of people needing for a place to sit.

I'm sure there are quiet places that don't mind me keeping a small table, since I would have breakfast and lunch there.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

There's a nice place on Winthrop street inside web workhouse, small and cosy and usually quite quiet though there can be a bit of foot traffic. Some lovely drinks there too, overall I'd recommend it quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There's a nice place on Winthrop street inside web workhouse, small and cosy and usually quite quiet though there can be a bit of foot traffic. Some lovely drinks there too, overall I'd recommend it quite well.

It's a lovely cafe alright, but they only offer the first half hour WiFi free. After that it's a minimum €1.50 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

try the book shelf, on the corner between Canty's bar and South Mall, (pembroke st.)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Armaiti wrote: »
    Well, that's why I'm looking for a specific kind of place. I wouldn't choose Gloria Jean's or Cafè Eco because of the big amount of people needing for a place to sit.

I'm sure there are quiet places that don't mind me keeping a small table, since I would have breakfast and lunch there.
    scuby wrote: »
    try the book shelf, on the corner between Canty's bar and South Mall, (pembroke st.)

This can get exremely packed, actually full. Lovely place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Any public library.
    Note: no phone use or food allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I can't believe anywhere still charges for wifi in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

scuby wrote: »

Great place to sit and do work, they also do proper mugs!
    Also good is Gulp'd (Triskel) and you can get food in both too.
    If you are sitting down to do work there's always the the Metropole hotel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Armaiti wrote: »
    Hey there,
    I'm looking for a nice, quiet place to work in Cork city center.
    I usually work from home but I'd like to spend some time outside :) without paying for wi-fi connection.

So you want to work from the city centre but don't want to pay rent, rates or even for wifi?

Anything else you'd like for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

grenache wrote: »
    It's a lovely cafe alright, but they only offer the first half hour WiFi free. After that it's a minimum €1.50 per hour.

Fair play to them I say.

One twat on a table for 4 chairs with a lap top for 2 hours with a coffee does the cafe out of €200-00 revenue which is proberly = €20-00 profit
    Ever wonder why they struggle !

Go to mc Donalds if you want free wi-fy for hours.

evilivor wrote: »
    So you want to work from the city centre but don't want to pay rent, rates or even for wifi?

Anything else you'd like for free?

That's not what the OP said, they said that they usually work from home and would like a change.
    it's not exactly unreasonable to ask what cafes you can sit in for a bit (provided you actually buy something) that have free wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Cool_CM wrote: »
    That's not what the OP said, they said that they usually work from home and would like a change.
    it's not exactly unreasonable to ask what cafes you can sit in for a bit (provided you actually buy something) that have free wifi.

Anything more than 10 mins after your beverage is gone is freeloading

I wonder would the OP mind if I came up to use his washing machine while I'm on my break from my coffee shop

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Wow, what a lot of hostile posts! I don't see anything wrong with doing some work from a cafe, I would expect to buy more than a coffee if I was to spend an hour or so there. There's no loss to the cafe unless it is very busy, and the OP specifically asked for a quiet cafe.

Woah, I didn't know I was asking for the moon and stars!

That's right, I usually work from home (paying rent and a pricy UPS connection) and being really busy with work I don't really see the sun for days. That's why I'd like to work in the city once or twice a week, sitting in a nice place and paying for stuff like breakfast, tea, coffee and all I usually treat myself with at home while I'm working.

I asked for free wi-fi just because spending more than I earn just for the "luxury" of working in a cafe would be really stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

Definition of Cafe

café[ ka-fey, kuh- French ka-fey ]
    noun [plural ca·fés]1. a restaurant, often with an enclosed or outdoor section extending onto the sidewalk.2. a restaurant, usually small and unpretentious.3. a barroom, cabaret, or nightclub.

Definition of Office

office[ aw-fis, of-is ]
    noun1. a room, set of rooms, or building where the business of a commercial or industrial organization or of a professional person is conducted: the main office of an insurance company; a doctor's office.2. a room assigned to a specific person or a group of persons in a commercial or industrial organization: Her office is next to mine.3. a business or professional organization: He went to work in an architect's office.

Just sayin like :-)

Thank you, that was enlightening. Guess I'll only use public wi-fi for its primary purpose from now on: geotagging, taking pics of my meals and sharing them on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Try the Web Workhouse, they're a lot more welcoming than most on this thread. Someone above said there's a small charge for the wifi after a while, but I've had many classes there and there are many inside there playing games / talking / small meetings, and I've never seen the staff have any issue with it.

• Advertisement

soundsham wrote: »
    Anything more than 10 mins after your beverage is gone is freeloading

I wonder would the OP mind if I came up to use his washing machine while I'm on my break from my coffee shop

What about if you have ordered food and lunch as the OP said they would?

I take it that you are also anti the old cliche of sitting down in a cafe with a book or a newspaper too then?

Advertisement