Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent a car. Any recommendations?

Options
  • 05-11-2013 1:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

Who's a good crowd to hire a car from? Anybody bases in the city center? They all seem to be at the airport...

This will be my first time renting a car so this is also a general rent a car thread. Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Who's a good crowd to hire a car from? Anybody bases in the city center? They all seem to be at the airport...

This will be my first time renting a car so this is also a general rent a car thread. Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks

How long do you need the car for. Would a Go Car suit? (Car rental in this country is extortionate from what I can see)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Encrustment

I just want to rent it for a day or two. Do the ring of Kerry or some sort of weekend trip out of Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

I just want to rent it for a day or two. Do the ring of Kerry or some sort of weekend trip out of Cork.

avis,enterprise,europcar,northgate are just some of the rental companies i can think of but as OP says Go Car????car rental is roughly €40 per day plus a security deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I've used webcarhire.com
    It checks all the car hire companies for you - never had any problem with them!

But, I do think you'll have to go to the airport to pick-up/drop-off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

General advice on renting a car, you will receive a damage report sheet when you collect your car. Go over every inch of the car for damage and idicate it on the sheet, if you dont, you are liable for damage you did not write down when you collected it.

Second, be aware that they will stop a big lump of cash on your credit card, its no big deal unless you are near your limit and expect to use the card for something else.

Lastly, read their policy on fuel and car drop off. It can be more expensive (almost always is) to bring the car back without a full tank than if you fill yourself before drop off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I rented from budget,also at the airport, it was only around €110 for 4 days with about 2 hours notice! They did need a credit card though, it seems to be very difficult or impossible to rent without one,
    They gave me a car with 2000km on the clock I was feckin terrified driving it! When I brought the keys back they just took them didn't inspect the car or anything! It seemed cheap for very short notice,

I don't have a credit card. Just a debit card ... will that suffice?

I noticed there's a €28 surcharge for picking the car up at the airport. FECKIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I don't have a credit card. Just a debit card ... will that suffice?

No hope, has to be a credit card
    I noticed there's a €28 surcharge for picking the car up at the airport. FECKIT!

Enterprise have a place out by the Kinsale roundabout who don't charge the airport fee

On a different note to anyone thinking of renting a car, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they've absolutely no other choice.

I've heard firsthand from a former employee of a car rental company that they receive a handsome commission on any damage discovered
    I've had them chance their arm at blaming me for a crease on the door which had already been noted when taking the car out.

Besides a bus trip to Kerry is cheap enough,a Czech friend only paid about €30ea.
    (I think with paddywagon) for a trip to parts of Kerry recently enough when he had family over.

A lot less stressful with no need to worry about scratching or crashing a rental car, and you can all enjoy a pint with your lunch if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Try great island motors

http://greatislandmotors.com/
    Hes a good guy to bargain with as well

He has a place in mccurtain street as far as i know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 valerie75

Hi, I'm probably to late to give you an answer, but the best value rental cars can be found on www.rentalcars.com. I always use this site and it gives you the choice of city or airport rental places.

Advertisement