Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time travelling to US from Shannon

Options
  • 05-11-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I'm going to be flying from Shannon to Newark at the end of the month. I've never been to the US before so a bit in the dark as to procedures. Have my ESTA done.

I emailed Shannon Airport but got no reply to my question about how long before the flight I need to arrive in order to have time to go through security and US Pre-clearance - anyone got any advice or experience on this?

My flight is at 9.30 am - I was thinking get there for 6.30 but is this too far ahead? Travelling with my very impatient sister who is gonna nut me if we're sitting there for hours being too early, though I'm a nervous nelly and am always way too early for everything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

6.30 would be a good time - you'll likely be boarding your flight 45 mins before departure so that's a comfortable time-frame, allowing for any delays at security.

Not sure how busy security is in Shannon generally but with two queues to go through, it's better to be safe than sorry!

Maybe take a print out of your hotel confirmation for the US Immigration control, just as additional proof that it's a holiday, but it's generally fine.

Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I take that flight a lot and two hours is okay so three will be fine. Shannon is a pretty quiet place so I wouldn't worry at all with that much time.

They do a great breakfast in the cafe upstairs. So do that before you go through the security check because the food options aren't good within the duty free area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Shannon airport is the best airport I have ever travelled through. It is so calm, so pleasant, so nice, so easy going.

There is absolutely no stress involved.

And if you are travelling Aer Lingus, wow, I have arrived seriously 20 minutes before take off and they let me on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

With Shannon traveling to the US, I always leave it 2.5 hours. It leaves time for security and a bite to eat. Remember you need to do security twice and the US border, so there can be a lot of standing around in lines, especially at that time of day as there are a few transatlantics going around the same time

I also HATE feeling rushed at airports, there is nothing worse than feeling hassled as you get to your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

You have your ESTA, but maybe someone else can tell you if you need to fill out an API? I know with Aer Lingus you do but maybe its different with United?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

yew_tree wrote: »
    You have your ESTA, but maybe someone else can tell you if you need to fill out an API? I know with Aer Lingus you do but maybe its different with United?

Jeez, knew nothing about that. Is that something I need to do before going to the airport or do you get it to fill in once there? Is that the form you have to fill up while on the plane? Someone mentioned that to me, that you have to fill in a form on the plane declaring if you have food items, etc in your luggage.

United Airlines website only says: "U.S. law requires airlines operating international flights to or from the United States to provide travel document data for all customers via APIS. The United States also requires reporting the visiting address of all customers who are non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. residents traveling to the United States."

It doesn't say what the passenger has to do, just that they've an obligation to provide travel data.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

In my experience, have the ESTA sorted in advance and the API will be completed in Shannon before emigration control.

I recall them dishing the wee green cards out on the plane before landing back when immigration control was done over yonder instead on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Full cavity search before you board the flight I heard. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

FonE wrote: »
    Jeez, knew nothing about that. Is that something I need to do before going to the airport or do you get it to fill in once there? Is that the form you have to fill up while on the plane? Someone mentioned that to me, that you have to fill in a form on the plane declaring if you have food items, etc in your luggage.

Yes. You must apply for your ESTA before you travel. They recommend no later than 72 hours.

You will be given a customs form at check in to fill out before presenting yourself to US immigration.
    It doesn't say what the passenger has to do, just that they've an obligation to provide travel data.

If you check your booking on the United website, it should let you enter your API details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

6.30am is a good time. Enjoy your trip. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RachealB

Hi,Flying with united from Shannon end of the month also. Best to be there for 6.30 ish. You have to check in on line before hand. There is computers on site,but do it on Thursday Morning as you have to update your passport details and address on there site 24 hours before travel, I rang them last night, as was trying to update mine,and would not work. Bring a copy of esta, hotel confirmation and flights. Security quick, you have to be scanned twice, and then border control. Not much to do in airport but get a good book,as it is quite a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sun_seeker

RachealB wrote: »
    Hi,Flying with united from Shannon end of the month also. Best to be there for 6.30 ish. You have to check in on line before hand. There is computers on site,but do it on Thursday Morning as you have to update your passport details and address on there site 24 hours before travel, I rang them last night, as was trying to update mine,and would not work. Bring a copy of esta, hotel confirmation and flights. Security quick, you have to be scanned twice, and then border control. Not much to do in airport but get a good book,as it is quite a long wait.

Hi RachealB- do you know if you have to check in online with United or can you just turn up to the desk on the morning of the flight? When you check in online do you reconfirm your seat choice? When i was booking the flight the only seats left in economy were middle seats and i was hoping i could ask for a seat change on the day itself if the flight isn't full.

anyone have any experience of the entertainment and food on this Shannon to Newark flight lately? This will be my first time flying with United.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can check in online or at the airport.

Obviously, the earlier you check in the better: so if there is any choice of seating left at all, do it online the minute it opens.

Food is standard airline food. All seats have on-demand entertainment, with a reasonable selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

RachealB wrote: »
    Bring a copy of esta

Do not bother bringing a printout of your ESTA approval, it is worthless. If the US agent enters your passport number into their system and can't find your ESTA, you can wave any paperwork in his/her face and it will make no difference.

You're either approved or you are not, you do not need to present them with any hardcopy evidence of your ESTA approval and they will not ask for any.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Full cavity search before you board the flight I heard. ;)

Not any more, unfortunately. No matter how much I begged...

Advertisement