Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Long Is Your Central Heating On For?

• 05-11-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

So we moved to Ireland after 20 years in season-less California and I am trying to get a sense of what's normal here for heating usage this time of year. So we live in a old cottage which is a bit drafty (currently working on getting new windows etc) and even though the weather hasnt been that cold yet it gets a bit nippy when you are sitting and reading or whatever. I have been turning the oil boiler which heats the radiators for an hour a day in the evening to heat the place and the rest of the time putting on an extra layer of clothes if it gets too cold. Energy is expensive here so I am mindful of that but I wondered is our current usage of the heating average, less or more of what others are using right now. Thanks for your feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

I've had mine on for 1 hour so far and this room is quite cosy now then this evening I might put it on between 6-10pm but as you say it is not really that cold so far so those times will increase when it really does get cold. I have OFCH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

You'll find that in an hour quite a bit of heat is soaked up in your walls but once the walls are warm your rooms will heat quicker, leave it off again for any length of time and you start again.
    2hrs in the morning 4 in the evening, constant if the kids young adults are home. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

You'll find that in an hour quite a bit of heat is soaked up in your walls but once the walls are warm your rooms will heat quicker, leave it off again for any length of time and you start again.

Thanks Billy! That makes sense. Now I can feel guilt free and not like the wimp back from California for leaving it on a bit longer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

From now on I leave it on at 16C in the living areas during the day if someone at home. Then 20C from 6 pm until 11pm with last 1.5 hours to bedrooms also. Everyone will have different requirements.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement