Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with buying a house at 1st fix stage

Options
  • 05-11-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Apologies if I posted in the wrong section but I wasnt sure which one to go to.

Myself and my husband are really interested in purchasing a house that is at the 1st fix stage, the walls and windows are completed, new septic tank, inside walls plastered, geo thermal floor heating piped and electrics are cabled and the plumbing is done but has been left at this stage since 2008/2009.

The plans for the house showed a spiral staircase was be installed but there is currently no stairs, floors, doors, skirting etc.

We are wondering how much in terms of paperwork we would be looking at if we were going to undertake this. The house is fabulous and it really is lovely (little over priced going on the market trends)

Do we need planning permission in order to finish off the house like the stairs etc?

All advise appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you intending to mortgage fund the purchase? This is the biggest possible issue.

You may have trouble with any changes to building regulations since construction began.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Hi yea we are buying with a mortgage but unsure if we can get a mortgage where the completion costs are included.
    If not then we would have to buy with the mortgage and then get a loan to do the work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Start by speaking with the estate agent to find out what the situation is regarding planning permission, permission usually only lasts 5 years so there could be issues there.

The biggest issue is the question of a Mortgage, the bank may well lend on the basis of the completed house but equally they may not and that could well be a deal breaker as completion finance may not be available to you.

Finally I would recommend an extensive and thorough survey. a house that has been sitting uncompleted and empty for 5 years could have a number of structural issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

OP, talk to your solicitor and try to find out if the building compliance certs are available. If this house is a celtic tiger house where the original developer went bust then the said certs may not be available and the chances of getting anyone to certify the build now is slim. If this is the case then I would walk away and look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Hi valpuk

You will need the following documents

Original architects certs of compliance.. as has already been pointed out these may be hard to get if architect is owed money or developer has gone bust. However dont fret... the bank will be willing to take another architects cert based on visual inspection.. you just need to find the right architect.

Proof that the development charges have been paid to the county council... this is available from council office.

Comencement notice again from the county council... a notification given that works approved by planning are about to begin.

Costings from an architect to finish the build who will also provide the final cert for your bank

A valuation of the property at present and estimate of valueconce works above have been completed.

Regarding mortgage AIB are lending on part finished properties including the cost of finishing works. They will provide 90% of purchase cost and 75% of finishing cost... ypu will be expected to put your min r y in first however so make sure your sums add up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Bank of ireland are not lending on part finished properties.

First thing to do is get original planning permission number from councils website and go down to planning office to review file.

This will give you original architects details who you may contact regarding certs etc. If seller does not have certs or if this is a bank sale.

It is a long but worthwhile road .. dont let people put you off... just make sure the price is right to begin with

Advertisement