Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house to an active Ericom line

Options
  • 05-11-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a bit confused over this and hoping that someone can shed light on it for me...

I moved into a house late last week
    In that house the previous occupant had phone\internet with Eircom
    I just called Eircom to see if eFibre was available at the address and they said it was
    They also said that the line is still active under the previous occupant's name
    They said that I need to get him to call up and close his account
    Then I can call up and purchase the Eircom products if I choose
    However if I choose to go with someone else for internet, only Eircom can reactivate the line and that would cost €27 (or something like that) and I would effectively be signing up to a years contract of line rental (approx 27 per month) with Eircom, with presumably the top of the cost of the internet with the other provider on top of this.
    Essentially, it seems there is no way around having to pay Eircom money and the customer support person confirmed this

Am I missing something here, or is this how it is with everyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi,

I'm a bit confused over this and hoping that someone can shed light on it for me...

I moved into a house late last week
    In that house the previous occupant had phone\internet with Eircom
    I just called Eircom to see if eFibre was available at the address and they said it was
    They also said that the line is still active under the previous occupant's name
    They said that I need to get him to call up and close his account
    Then I can call up and purchase the Eircom products if I choose
    However if I choose to go with someone else for internet, only Eircom can reactivate the line and that would cost €27 (or something like that) and I would effectively be signing up to a years contract of line rental (approx 27 per month) with Eircom, with presumably the top of the cost of the internet with the other provider on top of this.
    Essentially, it seems there is no way around having to pay Eircom money and the customer support person confirmed this

Am I missing something here, or is this how it is with everyone?
    Hi splashthecash

Can you confirm the address in question via PM and I will look into this for you.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi splashthecash

Can you confirm the address in question via PM and I will look into this for you.

Mark

PM sent

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi splashthecash

Mark

PM sent

Thanks
    Got it thanks and PM you back.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Mark

Hi Mark,

This is still not resolved. The line was deactivated as the previous owner cancelled his account with Eircom and now i called Eircom to have them release the line stating that i am a new owner of the property. I was told by three different sales people (one of which was a team lead) that they will not release a line for another service provider unless i first sign up for a 12 month contract (18 month for efibre). I said that there is a process in place and that i was told thos by Eircom rep on boards and they said that i was given wrong information.

I said so essentially Eircom have a monopoly on business with people moving into new houses and was told plain and simple "yes"

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Mark

Hi Mark,

This is still not resolved. The line was deactivated as the previous owner cancelled his account with Eircom and now i called Eircom to have them release the line stating that i am a new owner of the property. I was told by three different sales people (one of which was a team lead) that they will not release a line for another service provider unless i first sign up for a 12 month contract (18 month for efibre). I said that there is a process in place and that i was told thos by Eircom rep on boards and they said that i was given wrong information.

I said so essentially Eircom have a monopoly on business with people moving into new houses and was told plain and simple "yes"
    Simply contact the ISP of your choice (Vodafone etc) They will take care of the line activation for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Mark

Hi Mark,

Hi splashthecash

The above advice by finteme is correct, you can contact the provider of your choice and they will be able to reactivate the line for you.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement