Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reduced Capacity on Peak service

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Was it the 5.35pm service or the 6.35pm service from Heuston? only the 10.15am amd 6.35pm train has a first class carriage so any passsenger may enter and sit in any other first class carriage on other services.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/04-dublinwaterford250920131.pdf?v=gc3ukca

It was the 17.35h (5.35pm) service. The first class carriage had a sign up that you had to pay €12.50 to sit there. I think people did sit there afterwards but even at that with 5 cars the train was overcrowded until after Athy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is no 1st Class scheduled on that train and as such (despite the sign) anyone can sit in that coach.

The sign should have been removed.

Sounds like a last minute set swap to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Emme wrote: »
    It was the 17.35h (5.35pm) service. The first class carriage had a sign up that you had to pay €12.50 to sit there. I think people did sit there afterwards but even at that with 5 cars the train was overcrowded until after Athy.

If that happens again go in and sit in that carriage and tell others that they can sit there too as it is not a first class car, staff are obviously not on top of turning trains around and preparing trains in Heuston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If that happens again go in and sit in that carriage and tell others that they can sit there too as it is not a first class car, staff are obviously not on top of turning trains around and preparing trains in Heuston.

I'd sit there until im told that im not allowed, but i wouldnt go and tell others that they can .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It seems that Irish Rail have released information about their trains and the capacity of each type, this should sort out some confusion for many about standing on "inter-city" trains as there are no ICRs with standing capacity.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Rail-Census-2012.pdf

Appendix D: Train capacity by type
    Table Train Capacity
    Train TypeCapacity
    4 - DART(4 car DART set)700- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    6 - DART(6 car DART set)1050- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    8 - DART(8 car dart set)1400- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    2 x 2600(2 car commuter rail car)206- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    2 x 2800(2 car commuter rail car)221- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    4 x 29000(4 car Commuter railcar)640- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    8 x 29000(8 car Commuter railcar)1280- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    1 x 3ICR(3-car InterCity railcar)190- Seats
    1 x 6ICR(6-car Premier Class InterCity railcar)376- Seats
    1 x 6HCR(6-car High Capacity InterCity Railcar)406- Seats
    7 x MkIV(7 car Mk IV set)348- Seats
    7 x DD(7 car De Dietrich set)358
    - Seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It seems that Irish Rail have released information about their trains and the capacity of each type, this should sort out some confusion for many about standing on "inter-city" trains as there are no ICRs with standing capacity.[/TABLE]

ah come on now foggy, shur we knew this all ready didn't we. but shur tis okay, IE will operate the units to operational convenience rather then making sure they operate only on the routes they are designed for, so as you know, long distance stuff on (well you know) long distance routes and short distance stuff on (well) short distance routes.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

It seems that Irish Rail have released information about their trains and the capacity of each type, this should sort out some confusion for many about standing on "inter-city" trains as there are no ICRs with standing capacity.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Rail-Census-2012.pdf

Appendix D: Train capacity by type
    Table Train Capacity
    Train TypeCapacity
    4 - DART(4 car DART set)700- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    6 - DART(6 car DART set)1050- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    8 - DART(8 car dart set)1400- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    2 x 2600(2 car commuter rail car)206- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    2 x 2800(2 car commuter rail car)221- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    4 x 29000(4 car Commuter railcar)640- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    8 x 29000(8 car Commuter railcar)1280- Seats + Standing Accommodation
    1 x 3ICR(3-car InterCity railcar)190- Seats
    1 x 6ICR(6-car Premier Class InterCity railcar)376- Seats
    1 x 6HCR(6-car High Capacity InterCity Railcar)406- Seats
    7 x MkIV(7 car Mk IV set)348- Seats
    7 x DD(7 car De Dietrich set)358
    - Seats

I hope all of the above have staff trained as First Responders (First Aid) and a defibrillator on board each train because they will need them if they insist on packing in as many standees as possible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Those dart figures can vary, sinct he different classes have different capcities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

devnull wrote: »
    Those dart figures can vary, sinct he different classes have different capcities...
    true, all though i think the 4/8 cars apply to the 85 8510 and 8520 classes, while the 2/6 only apply to the 8100 class

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

anybody know why we are seeing lots of four car darts especially on malahide serices in evening peak the past couple of weeks?

Even the odd two car going around again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

anybody know why we are seeing lots of four car darts especially on malahide serices in evening peak the past couple of weeks?

It has been mainly fours for a while now with the odd 6 for good measure. Haven't seen much overcrowding though.
    Even the odd two car going around again.

I was beginning to think that that idea was scrapped as I haven't seen a two car in ages.

The 5.2. and 5.53 from connolly to malahide are grossly overcrowded used to be six or eight cars

The 5.23. and 5.53 from connolly to malahide are grossly overcrowded used to be six or eight cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was beginning to think that that idea was scrapped as I haven't seen a two car in ages.

Middle of the day services during the summer months would be very busy and a lot of tourist traffic. November-March you will probably see 2 car sets appear during the day again

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

Noticed quite squashed conditions on a southbound DART at Grand Canal Dock yesterday. Only a 4-car train at 1735. People left behind on the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

shoehorn wrote: »
    Noticed quite squashed conditions on a southbound DART at Grand Canal Dock yesterday. Only a 4-car train at 1735. People left behind on the platform.

Yep, they has major capacity issues yesterday with the majority of peak time DARTs all 4 car sets. All noted between 4 and 7 in both directions. They seem to be down alot of sets. No reason given for the shortage yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

For the summer, Irish rail has shortened some trains. One is the 0640 Limerick-Heuston which is now a 3-car instead of it's usual 4-car. Back to normal standing room only for the last couple of stops.

Advertisement