Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College with a young family...

Options
  • 05-11-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some advice. I would love to return to college to do a four year degree in a discipline I'm really interested in. However, we've just started a family...and we're not finished!! Of course I'm concerned about being pregnant while in college...doctors appointments, and of course post pregnancy...what happens there?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

tough one but its not impossible
    Will you have support at home from your partner, mother ?
    will you be able to give approx 40 hrs a week for college work?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Full time college course is like a full time job. You will need to be able to devote a lot of time to it including late nights and week ends, I can easily clock up 60hrs+ at exam time. Personal would not fancy being pregnant and trying to study while looking after kids it's hard enough for me and mine are 10 and 15 and have great support from oh and friends. That's why I waited until my youngest had settled in school 1st class and I'm finishing college next May

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Thanks for the replies guys. I am currently working full time, term time and already wish I had more time with my child. So that's what I was wondering his much extra study time would I have to do.

We do have a relative childminding, whom we are paying, and my spouse works full time in a demanding job.

A four year course, & drop in income, and planning to be pregnant probably isn't really ideal to be honest, although I would desperately love to do this course. I think I might apply anyway as a nature student, and see what happens. Is it possible for a mature student to defer a first year? Also, if I was pregnant would I be able to defer during the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

I have a 2 year old and I'm starting a 4 year course next year and i want to have another child within the next few years as i don't want there to be a large gap (perfect timing hey!) trying to fit all of life in. As for the deferral I think that once you start the course you have to complete it in a certain amount of years and I believe that you could easily take a years break and then go back. I know my cousin took a years break.

From my personal point of view I would go for it, like me you have supportive family to help. Always great to have minders you trust (one less thing to worry about)

If in doubt contact a mature student officer at the college and talk to them about it.

Advertisement