Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing rescue dog to home with a cat

• 05-11-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are considering getting a dog for our 6 year old daughter, she's dying for a dog. Luckily, I realise that it will fall to me to actually take care of the dog and I have plenty of experience with them.
    I wouldn't consider going to a breeder and would prefer to adopt a rescue dog.
    The main issue is that we already have an adopted cat and I'm worried that a dog won't get along with the cat, especially as we are considering small/terrier breeds.
    Any advise from others who have been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

if you go with a rescue dog, the rescue organisation will tell you if the dog in question is good with cats or not. it is in their best interests to match a dog with a suitable home, so they will tell you what his personality etc is like. I volunteer with an animal rescue, PM sent - good luck with your new dog - its such a great thing to do to rescue an unloved dog - let us know how you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

Thanks aonb.

We're in France, and dogs are bloody expensive. Even from a pound the minimum is around 150€, due to vet fees etc. Also, I think they charge a high price to weed out unsuitable potential owners.
    Lots of people move away and try to re-home their pets privately. I saw a small ad for a cairn terrier earlier this evening, would be ideal if I knew he wouldn't savage the poor cat. She's pretty reclusive and wary anyway - plus she knows how to run and hide. But she was here first in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

Terriers and cats can sometimes not work out. We had problems with Jack Russels and cats. Don't know about other terriers. We got a rescue dog (not a terrier) and the cat was evil to him for a while. Luckily the dog was quiet. It can be hard to make a cat accept a dog. The rescue tried him with a cat to make sure he wasn't made to chase it. There, i'm full of good news for you! See if you can try them out with each other first. If the dog doesn't go mad to chase the cat it might be alright. If he does then he might not be the dog for you. Good luck!

So we have a new addition to the household.
    Winston is a 15 month old English Bulldog. We saw an ad yesterday morning from his owner who is relocating and can't bring him along, she wanted a quick, clean break so we picked him up in the afternoon.
    Toilet trained, vaccinated, microchipped and reasonably well behaved - hopefully taking him on is a decision I don't live to regret.
    Luckily he doesn't do stairs so the cat is pretty safe for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Mr. Nice wrote: »
    Winston is a 15 month old English Bulldog. We saw an ad yesterday morning from his owner who is relocating and can't bring him along, she wanted a quick, clean break so we picked him up in the afternoon.
    Toilet trained, vaccinated, microchipped and reasonably well behaved - hopefully taking him on is a decision I don't live to regret.

Did you not find out if he was ok with cats before you took him? You might find he will do stairs if he sees a cat at the top of them.

Tom & Gerry is coming to mind!

Good luck with your new dog.

• Advertisement

He grew up with a dachshund and is very gentle. The cat sneaked downstairs last night so they're aware of each others' presence. I'm fairly certain that they'll get along eventually.
    And it's an open tread spiral staircase, he can't manage it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Like most things just give them time. Here's two of ours, they have their little squabbles but they get along fine. :)

Mr. Nice wrote: »

Photos please?!
    Poor dog - I really cant understand these people who get a dog only 15 months (or whatever) ago and now find they cant bring them to wherever :mad: Dont they plan ahead?!? Oh well, lucky Winston has a new forever home now. Hope the settling in period goes well.
    HANDY that you have such a dog-proof stairs - for the cats sake - hopefully as you say, they will get on.
    One of my terriers is completely anti-cat, the other would be fine with cats being a Simple Dog 8-} - I know I can never have a cat (kept a rescue briefly) with the old terrier, but when hes gone hope to get some kittens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

He's lovely! Quite a gentle character too, I get the sense.... I think your cat will manage him fine!

wow, hes smashing!
    How is he settling in?
    How does your daughter and he get on?
    Any sign of aggro with the cat?

He gets on great with the kids. He still has a tendency to pull at the leash when we go for a walk but if I let the kids hold him he seems to sense that it's them at the other end.
    If he gets over-excited he bowls over the 3 year old the odd time, but he's still a pup an hasn't been sterilised so I expect him to be a bit boisterous (the dog, that is ;-))
    The cat knows that she's the more intelligent one and gives him a wide berth. If he ever corners her I expect yelping and a bloody nose. He's really a big slobbery eejit.
    Pics with kids on way ;-)

Advertisement