Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Mayor

Options
  • 05-11-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Should Dublin have a directly elected mayor?

Should Dublin have a directly elected Mayor 26 votes

Yes-But only with executive powers
    0% 0 votes
    Yes-In any case
    53% 14 votes
    Yes-But only with limited powers, for representation.
    34% 9 votes
    I don't know
    3% 1 vote
    No
    7% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

what's the point - another political party affiliated nest featherer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I think that the term should be longer 3/4 years, very few could name the mayor at any given time, 1 year and they are only finding their feet when it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

nudger wrote: »
    I think that the term should be longer 3/4 years, very few could name the mayor at any given time, 1 year and they are only finding their feet when it's over.

I'd say if they did make it a directly-elected position the term would be longer. Can't imagine them running elections every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

We need someone to represent the interests of Dublin City, rather than a minister from small town, that thinks he knows what Dublin people want. We might have better transport system if there was someone fighting for funding. It would have to be young person with a drive, rather than a retirement job for a former TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Only if the mayor had some actual power like in London etc,not much point in bothering to elect one without it.

Could make a difference in transport,policing,social projects etc.

Would be nice if we could ban members of political parties from running too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Only if the mayor had some actual power like in London etc,not much point in bothering to elect one without it.

Could make a difference in transport,policing,social projects etc.

Would be nice if we could ban members of political parties from running too.
    Why, it is a political office and whoever gets elected would need political savvy.
    Most directly elected mayors are members of political parties (Boris J, Jacque Chirac, etc)

Advertisement