Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spraying and ploughing

• 05-11-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

I am planting a field with xmas trees this winter and I am going to spray the field with roundup before ploughing it. How long after the spraying is done will I have to wait before ploughing?
    Also is there any particular time best for planting? Is it better to wait till march instead of doing it this January on account of frost or does it matter since the baby trees are dormant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I am planting a field with xmas trees this winter and I am going to spray the field with roundup before ploughing it. How long after the spraying is done will I have to wait before ploughing?
    Also is there any particular time best for planting? Is it better to wait till march instead of doing it this January on account of frost or does it matter since the baby trees are dormant?
    Have vegetation good and short.
    Wait until it burns before turning sod.
    Do you need to Plough to grow trees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Grass needs to be actively growing before roundup will work correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have vegetation good and short.
    Wait until it burns before turning sod.
    Do you need to Plough to grow trees?
    I've done it before about 10 years ago and it makes it a lot easier to plant them thats for sure especially if you've got 5000 of them to do.
    Thing is I've forgotten how long I have to wait before the roundup takes effect, seem to remember it was a month but not sure.
    Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I've done it before about 10 years ago and it makes it a lot easier to plant them thats for sure especially if you've got 5000 of them to do.
    Thing is I've forgotten how long I have to wait before the roundup takes effect, seem to remember it was a month but not sure.
    Does anyone know?

Ask in the main farming forum. You'll get plenty answers there

ok thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I'd seek advice on the ploughing, ground will be left very rough, water run off issues & probably will be colonised by windblown weeds nettles docks and ragworth ect prior to tree's covering the ground (4-5 years).

A one scrape plough at the right spacing if really desired ??? or a pole drill hired out may be better option....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Does anyone know?

Roundup hits the root after approx two weeks after spraying

great thats what I was looking for, do you reckon it needs about 3 weeks then to be safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

great thats what I was looking for, do you reckon it needs about 3 weeks then to be safe?

You should be sound once the grass is still growing

Advertisement