Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ca m15a4 new barrel length recommendations

Options
  • 05-11-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

i have a 2 year old ca m15a4 i am wanting to put in the longest barrel into it with out having to to replace some of the internals i am thinking of a 510mm as the current barrel is 363mm just wondering anyone have any suggestions about the barrel length and the diameter?also good cheap barrel brands and does the barrel material matter?
    kind regards aaron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

pepsi45 wrote: »
    i have a 2 year old ca m15a4 i am wanting to put in the longest barrel into it with out having to to replace some of the internals i am thinking of a 510mm as the current barrel is 363mm just wondering anyone have any suggestions about the barrel length and the diameter?also good cheap barrel brands and does the barrel material matter?
    kind regards aaron

Without going in to too much detail, depending on what type cylinder your aeg has, putting in a barrel that length can have a negative effect.

From what I just googled it appears to have a type B which means a max of 450 and that would be pushing it. My own has a type B cylinder and I have a 410mm 6.03 barrel in it, by far best ranging gun I own but that is also down the hopup rubber.

A longer barrel does not necessarily mean greater range if that is what your after, Barrel material is extremely important. You can get a MADBULL python barrel 363mm in length with a 6.03 bore (most common bore with regards upgrading). Excellent barrels, but I would recommend upgrading the hop up rubber also.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭airsofter232

The best barrels for aegs are hands down Prometheus but they are very expensive. I would suggest saving up for one but if you are on a budget go for the Madbull V2 Python. The material of the does matter as a soft material like brass will last a lot less than a steel barrel as it will scratch and wear down easier. The best diameter for a barrel is 6.03-6.04 anything less and you will only be able to use the VERY best quality bbs.

As for the length I would not go overboard. Some guys in America did a study into this and found that the optimum length for a barrel that gives the best distance to accuracy ratio is around the 363mm mark. I would say the longest barrel that you should go for is about a 420mm or something around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Hi

Like the lads above stated your cylinder type dictates our barrel length.
    The cylinder can be changed ,but who wants the hassle.
    If the barrel is too long a vacuum can be created on the piston back stroke and actually suck the bb back reducing fps and adding wobble.

Barrel build quality is far more important than length.In my 416 Iv had a very accurate guarder 6.01 but it killed me on bb's it would jam with very bad results on anything but the best.

I currently run a prommy 407mm 6.03 its excellent but expensive.

I'd say good hop-up ( rubber and actual hop-up body) set right is responsible for about 65% of your accuracy and range.

My mates madbull V2 Python shoots almost as good as my prommy maybe 10ft in the difference and its half the price , don't know about longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭pepsi45

ya this is my first upgrade o my first gun and i really not sure what to do but i think barrel is a good start.my current barrel is very shacky and wobbly so thats why i want to replace it.if i was on a very tight budget for the barrel what barrel would ye recommend i want to best range i can get but still want it accurate? and if barrel not a good upgrade what would you recommend?
    thanks for all the replys
    kind regards aaron

A barrel,in my opinion, is one of the first upgrades you should do to your gun. As stated above a prommy is about double the price of a Madbull and at first the difference in range an accuracy will not be that noticable. However after say half a year to a year of heavy use the inside of the Madbull starts to peel as it is coated with something. This causes an irregular surface on the inside of the barrel reducing the range and accuracy.

I would definitley recommend a Prommy but if you are on a tight budget and don't want to save up for one then by all means get a Madbull. As said by J-W a good hop-up is very important for range and accuracy. The GandG green and Prometheus pink are very good. Madbull ones are hit and miss.

You may also want to look into the Tanio Koba Twist barrels which are meant to be brilliant for guns under one joule but I have no experience with them. They have a sort of riffling inside the barrel that creates an air cushion around the bb causing a straight flight. However these are also in the Prometheus price range.

I am at the moment running a 469mm Prometheus 6.03 and a pink hop-up rubber which are great.

• Advertisement

so what length do you recommond? and what barrel material should i aim to get? also what should the next upgrade i do be?

I would say go for maybe a 420mm and put on a silencer to cover it if you like the look, but if you don't by all means stick with a 363mm.

Material wise try to get a steel barrel but those are going to pretty expensive. Basically, the harder the material the longer the barrel will last you.

As for other upgrades get a decent hop-up rubber and nub, maybe a metal assembly if you want. Afterwards try to see and sort out if there are any leaks in your gearbox and maybe fit a new motor if you want a better rate of fire or quicker trigger pull. Thats all you really need for basic upgrades.

Hope this helps

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152197250-6-03-mm-precision-barrel-469mm.html is this one too big?
    http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152197775-G-G-Hop-Up-rubber.html also this hop up rubber?
    you have been so much help to me so far i would have bought a huge cheap barrel that measured something like 690mm and broke my gun if it want for you hehe
    kind regards aaron

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152197250-6-03-mm-precision-barrel-469mm.html is this one too big?
    http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152197775-G-G-Hop-Up-rubber.html also this hop up rubber?
    you have been so much help to me so far i would have bought a huge cheap barrel that measured something like 690mm and broke my gun if it want for you hehe
    kind regards aaron

Yera you wouldn't of broken it just affected it's performance.

The G&G green rubber is a good choice, you can buy them on airsofteire rather that a polish website you will get raped with shipping for both on small items.

Again have a look on airsofteire they have a nice selection of barrels and rubbers, excellent customer service and expertise and lightening fast shipping.

kind regards aaron
    No problem mate,
    the barrel length is a bit too long in my opinion. Also it doesn't state brand so it might not be a great choice. In your case I would honestly just by a Madbull like this one. http://www.airsoftguns.ie/precision-barrels-outer-barrels/381-black-python-603mm-tight-bore-barrel-407mm.html

There isn't really a need to order this stuff from Poland as Southern Dandy said. Check out some Irish retailers like airsoftguns.ie or airsofteire

As for hop-up check out GG green or Prommy pink. Neither are very expensive so it shouldn't be a problem.

Glad to help,
    Fedor

• Advertisement

The barrels in the link pepsi provided are "Ultimate" brand barrels, fairly decent going by what I heard.

Just said I'd tell yaw'll :). Airsofteire stock them.

Oh never saw that. Thanks for the info. But I think the Madbull ones are meant to be better while they last tbh. I think Airsofteire stock them aswell :)

ok but when you say posting is going to "rape me" i was thinking to be doing a order with my friend as we have done in the past so it there anything on that site in regards to barrels and hop ups ? also any ideas for a new handguard like i dont want ris but maybe a cool looking handguard with some rail on the underside?
    once again thanks for the amazing info so far
    kind regards aaron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

These are a nice looking handguard.I know hobby airsoft deal with redwolf so they might be able to get u one.http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_RIS_Systems_CAA_Airsoft_Division_M4S1_Handguard_Rails_System_DE.htm
    As for hop up rubbers i changed my g&g green out for a shs red and found a difference in range and consistency.Hobby also sell them.

brenak47 wrote: »
    These are a nice looking handguard.I know hobby airsoft deal with redwolf so they might be able to get u one.http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_RIS_Systems_CAA_Airsoft_Division_M4S1_Handguard_Rails_System_DE.htm
    As for hop up rubbers i changed my g&g green out for a shs red and found a difference in range and consistency.Hobby also sell them.

Bren makes a good point there, rubbers are fickle fookers, I run a prommy pink in my M4 and it is excelent, I tried a prommy pink in my EBR and it sucked balls being honest, the stock G&G was superior. Compatibility plays a big part with you setups even if it is only just a rubber.

Experiment with different combinations of rubbers and nubs and find out what is best for you.

The stock g&g green was great with the stock barrel but when i changed to a ttb i didn't find it that good.I spent a bit of time trying different nubs with both hop up rubbers.I finished up with the shs red rubber and a prommy flat nub modded to fit my hop up unit.Here its is but not sure if anyone in ireland stock them a mate gave it to me just to try.http://eagle6.co.uk/shop/prometheus-flat-hop-tensioner-soft-hard.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

The stock g&g green was great with the stock barrel but when i changed to a ttb i didn't find it that good.I spent a bit of time trying different nubs with both hop up rubbers.I finished up with the shs red rubber and a prommy flat nub modded to fit my hop up unit.Here its is but not sure if anyone in ireland stock them a mate gave it to me just to try.http://eagle6.co.uk/shop/prometheus-flat-hop-tensioner-soft-hard.html

Those nubs are brilliant, they work very well with the prommy smooth hop rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Rooky1 wrote: »
    Those nubs are brilliant, they work very well with the prommy smooth hop rubber.

Yep they are an excellent combo, now to find somewhere close to home that sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Too true mate. Never found them close to home unfortunately!!

Sorry thermo did u give me your last one

• Advertisement

would it be ok if i post a picture up of my gun and people put forward there suggestions for external parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Sorry thermo did u give me your last one
    Yes, but it was surplus to requirements :)
    would it be ok if i post a picture up of my gun and people put forward there suggestions for external parts?

Yep fire away

Advertisement