Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you reading?

Options
  • 05-11-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I think that reading is more popular with us more mature types than the younger generation (generally speaking that is ... I may be wrong)

However as fond as I am of reading I do change the genre from time to time as different things become my favourite for a while before something else grabs my fancy.

Anyway what are you reading at the moment?

Me? I am reading Quozl by Alan Dean Foster. (Sci Fi) Just finished a couple of Westerns.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I tend to dip in and out of anything to do with history. I've sort of given up novels for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I'm reading a text book on HVLP spray-painting because I hope to spray two-pack varnish onto my boat sometime soon. The compressor, spray gun and varnish are ready and the boat deck is stripped, awaiting attention.

However, I don't think you wanted to know that! As a kid, I used to read quite a lot but then I read Charles Dickens and thought "no-one can beat that" and haven't really bothered with storybooks since. Unfortunately, I tend to analyse the writing structure and technique, just as we were taught to do wth novels on the curriculum, rather than allowing the story wash over me. Those men in black maxi dresses have a lot to answer for - they force fed us Jane Austen's Persuasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I'm like Jellybaby - I just can't get into novels at the moment. I'm currently reading Mondays at Gaj's: The Story of the Irish Women's Liberation Movement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am a lazy reader, I don't want to be too challenged when I am reading! I am mostly into historical novels and fantasy - not the elven wars type, but writers like Robin Hobb, I love her books, she has an amazing imagination. I've read the Empire trilogy by Feist and Wurts several times, and especially Magician by Raymond E Feist - one of the best fantasy books of all, I think.

I also enjoyed Diana Gabaldon's historical series, she is a bit inclined to go on about her main characters' sex lives - yeah, ok, they are amazing, so get on with the plot - but the books make great reading.

Noah Gordon's series that starts with Physician is fascinating, the first two books are the best, they fade a bit after that, but especially the first one, the story of a young man in medieval times who wants to be a doctor, and his adventures as he tries to achieve his goal, very well written.

I'm a bit stuck for something to read at the moment, I will probably end up re-reading something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Historical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

How are you enjoying Wolf Hall, poppyvally? I have to admit that I gave up after 100 tedious pages because I spent more time looking back to see who was speaking due to Mantel's overuse of the pronoun he. I may go back and try again some time as I hate to abandon any book.

I'm reading Shantaram and really like it.

I challenged myself to read 50 books in 2013 & am on 45 at present. Don't think I'll hit the 50 now with the length of Shantaram!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

"Notes from a Small Island", by Bill Bryson, sounds like just another travel book, but is actually genuinely hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

CUCINA wrote: »
    "Notes from a Small Island", by Bill Bryson, sounds like just another travel book, but is actually genuinely hilarious

If you haven't read it already make sure you get Bill Bryson's "Notes From A Big Country" as well. Love Bill Bryson's books, the only problem is that if you read them in public you are bound to burst out laughing at some stage and end up getting some very funny looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Wyldwood wrote: »
    How are you enjoying Wolf Hall, poppyvally? I have to admit that I gave up after 100 tedious pages because I spent more time looking back to see who was speaking due to Mantel's overuse of the pronoun he. I may go back and try again some time as I hate to abandon any book.

I'm reading Shantaram and really like it.

I challenged myself to read 50 books in 2013 & am on 45 at present. Don't think I'll hit the 50 now with the length of Shantaram!

Wyldwood, it's tedious, but like you I refuse to give up on a book esp with all those accolades the author received. If you like thrillers I highly recommend "Serena" by Ron Rash. Gothic, unputdownable!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep - follow to The Shining

Just finished the Wool series by Hugh Howey - post apocalyptic earth where the survivors live in underground silos - well worth a read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Just finished reading Rod Stewart's bio this evening.

Good read.

Had read Pete Townshend's one (Who I am) just before it.

Didn't know much about the bauld Rod before I read his book, but one things for sure.

He much more enjoyed being a Rock Star than Pete ever did!

Advertisement