Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100million on the way lads

• 05-11-2013 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Limerick's reign as city of Culture is expected to generate up to €100million :D
    Key elements of the year-long programme have been unveiled and are aimed at delivering an unparalleled blend of cultural expression and performance in Limerick throughout 2014.
    The year is designed to transform Limerick into one of the country’s leading tourist destinations, :rolleyes: with almost one million people expected to participate in events throughout the year.
    Limerick City Manager is Conn Murray...
    The 20th anniversary world tour of Riverdance will kick off in the University Arena in January and is one of the highlights of the programme which includes a number of Irish premieres as well as specially commissioned pieces.
    The Romanian production of Faust is also expected to attract large audiences with its stark adult content.:eek:

Whoever comes up with this stuff...I want what they are on:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭Archeron

I saw the thingamebob about it on the telly the other night, and I did actually think that it's about time I went and explored Limerick so this looks like good reason. They'll have some of my tourist euros, albeit only as a visitor from Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Check out the website. There are over 60 headline events listed. With the national advertising it's going to get it will definitely bring a lot of extra tourists to the city and over the course of the year it could generate that amount.
    I have to say I'm sick of posters on this forum (not everyone thankfully) finding fault with or putting down every effort the city makes to improve itself. It's not a perfect place but it has plenty of positives and the 2014 City of Culture is definitely going to be one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

They are on Public Service salaries, enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Check out the website. There are over 60 headline events listed. With the national advertising it's going to get it will definitely bring a lot of extra tourists to the city and over the course of the year it could generate that amount.
    I have to say I'm sick of posters on this forum (not everyone thankfully) finding fault with or putting down every effort the city makes to improve itself. It's not a perfect place but it has plenty of positives and the 2014 City of Culture is definitely going to be one of them.

Funny, the same posters who make fun of the 10million trotted out every time a rugby match is played here now believe a figure of 100million being trotted out by the same people.

100million me hole :rolleyes:

Funny, the same posters who make fun of the 10million trotted out every time a rugby match is played here now believe a figure of 100million being trotted out by the same people.

100million me hole :rolleyes:

Did I say it would bring in €100m? No I said that it's possible that it could. There's a difference.
    Also the actual quote form Conn Murray is It is anticipated that it could be anything up to an additional €100m spend in 2014. I don't see anywhere where he says that there definitely will be €100m spent.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/limerick-city-of-culture-spin-off-could-be-worth-100m-1-5651388

Even if it doesn't bring and extra €100m, it's going to be heavily advertised and it will bring a lot of extra tourists and money to the city.
    But no you take one poorly written headline and shoot down the whole project.

• Advertisement

Organisers of the Richard Harris International Film Festival say they are surprised to be listed as a highlight of the Limerick City of Culture 2014 as they were not granted funding.
    The inaugural festival celebrating the life and works of the legendary Limerick actor will take place in December this year and its official launch took place at King John's Castle in Limerick last night.
    It will feature screenings of Richard Harris movies, a young film-makers competition and a Limerick short film showcase.
    Organisers plan to expand the festival for the City of Culture celebrations next year but Eleanor McSherry says there is now confusion over funding.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/funding-confusion-for-richard-harris-festival/16747

Ah here, a day after launch and the cracks appear :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Check out the website.

Link not working Cookie....

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Link not working Cookie....

Fixed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's an initiative that should be some benefit to the city and hopefully to the mid-west.

If it brings in one million fine if it brings in more even better, the city needs every bit of good news and revenue it can get.

Get off your high horse and stop putting words in my mouth.

I was questioning the figure of €100million as was reported by live95fm and elsewhere. Interestingly, cities that are trying to get this in the years ahead have cited last years winner as having generated an economic impact to the tune of £4.5 million. A far cry from the €100 million mentioned for Limerick. A figure they likely picked out of their hole

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=54929

More:

Derry-Londonderry’s bid estimated that UK City of Culture could lead to additional Gross Value Added (GVA) of £40 million between 2010 and 2013 . - See more at: http://regeneris.co.uk/latest/blog/entry/uk-city-of-culture-2017-what-any-bidder-should-know#sthash.TeU6dTFk.dpuf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Get off your high horse and stop putting words in my mouth.

I was questioning the figure of €100million as was reported by live95fm and elsewhere. Interestingly, cities that are trying to get this in the years ahead have cited last years winner as having generated an economic impact to the tune of £4.5 million. A far cry from the €100 million mentioned for Limerick. A figure they likely picked out of their hole

To be fair, you are linking articles quoting figures for UK cities as UK/European city of culture and are somewhat irrelevant. There has never been an Irish city of culture before which is what Limerick is, there is no "last years winner" to compare to

The 100 million figure could well be a stinking big pile of horse manure, but do you really have to be this negative about something that is, whatever way you look at it..a positive development for Limerick city. It is irrelevant if it is 1 million, 10 million or a billion...it is all good.

You have no more idea than the rest of us what the full programme of events are for the year. Its far too early to be knocking the event before most of it is even announced.

If people supported more stuff instead of knocking them at every opportunity, then Limerick would be a much better place. I agree with Cookiemunster's post above. Get up and support the events or keep your trap shut would be my take on it.

Maybe you should get off your own high horse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Keep it civil folks. As always there is no problem with a heated debate, but it has to stay on topic and it cannot come with a sprinkling of personal attacks.

So use a bit of common sense guys and gals, and some good discussion/debate can be had without the need for a mod to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Why are some people obsessed with playing Limerick down at every opportunity?Some people seem to think that this event is too good for Limerick.That Limerick is not sophisticated enough for this.What nonsense Limerick is full of culture with it's georgian architecture, historic builidngs like the castle etc and the friendliness of the people and the city really comes to life when there's a big match on.The buzz around Limerick (even if it was a bad day for me as a Cork supporter!) for the munster final was something else.Limerick is a city that is suffering from a decaying city centre and the recession is affecting the city more than other urban area in Ireland apart from possibly Waterford.It may not bring in 100 million euros but if this event is marketed and publicised effectively then it will bring some badly needed revenue into Limerick and help to establish the city as a tourists destination.I don't think there was this negativity surrounding Corks capital of culture event and as far as im concerned what's good enough for Cork is good enough for Limerick!

Nobody is playing down Limerick, merely pointing out the absurd figures being thrown around willy-nilly, the same way they do for Munster matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Nobody is playing down Limerick, merely pointing out the absurd figures being thrown around willy-nilly, the same way they do for Munster matches.

Linked article shows just how much Munster matches are worth to the city.
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/2009/06/25/thomond-park-nets-region-over-10-million-euro/

Advertisement