Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving packages living in an apartment question

Options
  • 05-11-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have moved to an apartment block and I order packages online quite a lot but I'm generally not there during the day. I'm guessing that when a package is being delivered that the delivery guy will try to get me on the intercom but I most likely won't be there. I'm also guessing that he/she can't get into the building and even if he/she did there is nowhere to leave the package as the mailboxes are built into the wall and just leaving a package is not an option.
    I'm would then assume that the delivery guy would then attempt to give me a notification that my parcel has been sent to a local delivery office but if the delivery guy can't get into the building (there are gates at the front) how would I get notification?
    I know I can use something like ParcelMotel but frankly I don't like the idea of having to pay and also they seem to add a day or two to delivery.
    I know it's a pretty mundane topic but I don't want to order a big package and don't know what's going to happen to it.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Any time I have ordered anything online, there has been a box to give your mobile number.

I have ordered a few things online & the courier rings me saying he's at the house. I would be at work & unable to get back home.

The courier has delivered it to me in work everytime no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭elmicko

Firstly, thanks for the reply. I'll expand a little - I bought a stupid knife set off Groupon (http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-dynergy-ltd-34/28974608 - don't judge me) - I'm assuming, yes assuming, that it will be delivered by An Post - I have not given my phone number to Groupon or the merchant, so if this is the case - what next?
    Just to clear up on the work thing, it's not really a runner even if I did have my mobile turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

elmicko wrote: »
    I have moved to an apartment block and I order packages online quite a lot but I'm generally not there during the day. I'm guessing that when a package is being delivered that the delivery guy will try to get me on the intercom but I most likely won't be there. I'm also guessing that he/she can't get into the building and even if he/she did there is nowhere to leave the package as the mailboxes are built into the wall and just leaving a package is not an option.
    I'm would then assume that the delivery guy would then attempt to give me a notification that my parcel has been sent to a local delivery office but if the delivery guy can't get into the building (there are gates at the front) how would I get notification?
    I know I can use something like ParcelMotel but frankly I don't like the idea of having to pay and also they seem to add a day or two to delivery.
    I know it's a pretty mundane topic but I don't want to order a big package and don't know what's going to happen to it.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Phone or email usually. Can you use your work address for delivery? Might be handier.
    I've found parcel motel to be faster and cheaper actually, but only for UK purchases. Usually receive them next day. Couriers take 4 to 5 days for me:(

EDIT: I've just seen that post. Anpost would probably put a note in your normal letter mailbox. I think you can arrange redelivery or collect from a local depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Firstly, thanks for the reply. I'll expand a little - I bought a stupid knife set off Groupon (http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-dynergy-ltd-34/28974608 - don't judge me) - I'm assuming, yes assuming, that it will be delivered by An Post - I have not given my phone number to Groupon or the merchant, so if this is the case - what next?
    Just to clear up on the work thing, it's not really a runner even if I did have my mobile turned on.

If it is An Post they will leave a card saying they tried to deliver a package but failed. It will list the address of the sorting office you can collect it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Payton

Can you get the packages delivered to your place of work or to a family members home? that's what I do and I live in a housing estate.
    Your issue is one of the joys if living in an apartment complex.

• Advertisement

My ultimate question was essentially: how would I be notified if the delivery guy can't even get into my building to leave a card saying that delivery was attempted?
    Work is basically a non runner (I wish it was - it used to be and it was great)
    Family is inconvenient as I would have to haul my ass over to the parents house and there is nothing to say they would be in either.
    An post collection office would be an acceptable option but how would I know delivery was even attempted?
    Parcel Motel is an option but as called out I'd have to pay and then go pick up the package and the nearest one is about 3k away.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

My ultimate question was essentially: how would I be notified if the delivery guy can't even get into my building to leave a card saying that delivery was attempted?
    Work is basically a non runner (I wish it was - it used to be and it was great)
    Family is inconvenient as I would have to haul my ass over to the parents house and there is nothing to say they would be in either.
    An post collection office would be an acceptable option but how would I know delivery was even attempted?
    Parcel Motel is an option but as called out I'd have to pay and then go pick up the package and the nearest one is about 3k away.

How do you get letters in your apartment building?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

An Post get into my apartment block to post letters so they leave a note. Like you my block has fob entry but they must have one. Couriers ring me and drop to work or I nip out to meet them.

Frankly I don't know the letter delivery guys get in but I assume they must have a fob or know the code.
    In relation to getting parcels, I'm assuming it's not the same guys that deliver letters that deliver parcels. If that is the case, and as SHANAbert has called out that they leave a note they must share fobs or each parcel delivery van must have a way of accessing each building.
    Can any posties/delivery people or anybody confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It will depend on the couriers.

An Post will send a delivery note with the postman, it's a different guy to the person that drives a van round delivering parcels.

Some courier companies will not be able to leave a note because they won't get in, some will phone you, others won't. I just track the parcel on line and when I see it at the Irish depot I ring them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement